This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fake cheese and chemicals don't count

Okay I have this asshole come in today.Well he comes up to the counter with a bag of cheetos.Well I tell him the total and he asks if there is tax on them and I say yes,then he goes batshit crazy.

You are breaking the law,indiana doesn't have a tax on food Blah Blah Blah Bitch moan hand motions.And so I tell him to now leave or I'll call security.So then he goes out in the lobby and starts the shit again for at least 5 mins.I tell him to leave again and I picked up the phone at this point.Thank jebus he left.So I looked up the indiana law and here it is....

Indiana has a 7% state sales tax. The tax rate was raised from 6% on April 1, 2008, to offset the loss of revenue from the statewide property tax reform, which is expected to significantly lower property taxes. Untaxed retail items include medications, water, ice and unprepared, raw staple foods or fruit juices. Many localities, inclusive of either counties or cities, in the state of Indiana also have a sales tax on restaurant food and beverages consumed in the restaurant or purchased to go.

I really hate people that love to take something and add their own spin on it.last time I checked cheetos aren't raw unprepared food,just fake cheese and chemicals.So I printed out a copy of this tax thing so next time I can shoved it in dickhead's face and laugh.

Yeah, one of those things that should be labeled:

"Cheese-like quasi-food substance" (harmless mildly addicting alkaloids included)

Go Starzelius!

Old coot cookies for reference.
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

he really wants his cheetos dammit

Comment

Texas sales tax is mostly the same (except at a higher 8.25%... with no state income tax though).

Every now and then we do get something flagged as taxable on the register that really shouldn't be, but we have ways of overriding that if we need to. There's one brand of water (not flavored, just plain water) that always comes up taxable, and one customer made a scene about it... took a bit to remember HOW to remove the tax, but we were able to.

I want to strangle our bakery dept sometimes - if they're too lazy to look up the proper PLU for something, they'll punch it in as "decoration upcharge" for the label (which allows them to set their own price). The decorating fee is taxable, but there's very few bakery items that are taxable in TX. I think I'm the only cashier that actually pays attention to that, we have an open non-tax bakery PLU that we can use if we need to on the registers.

Cheetos are taxable here.

Comment

If it's like here....
          Cheetos would be non-taxable at the grocery store but taxable in a restaurant.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
            Yeah, one of those things that should be labeled:

"Cheese-like quasi-food substance" (harmless mildly addicting alkaloids included)

Go Starzelius!

Old coot cookies for reference.
            Starzelious Verily Ad Agency, The Space Merchants Kornbluth and um, Pohl?

There are actually a few set in that universe and premise.

I really like them, if you liked it, you should read Wasp by Gardner [I think it is gardner, was in dirty tricks with Ian Fleming in WW2. Book is about a person sent in to be a saboteur on a strange planet. Good book =)]
            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

In Vermont all food items are non-taxable. Even the relatively nasty ones. It bothers me because people use their EBT cards to buy junkfood and crap they don't need.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                Starzelious Verily Ad Agency, The Space Merchants Kornbluth and um, Pohl?

There are actually a few set in that universe and premise.

I really like them, if you liked it, you should read Wasp by Gardner [I think it is gardner, was in dirty tricks with Ian Fleming in WW2. Book is about a person sent in to be a saboteur on a strange planet. Good book =)]
                Cookies for AccountingDrone! Pumpkin with a dollop of jam.

Published in '53. Extended with 'The Merchants' War' in '84 as 'Venus, Inc.'
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

In Kentucky, the large bags would be non-taxable as a grocery item where as the small, single serving sized bags are taxable.

Comment

This is how I learned what's taxable and what's not. If it's a necessity, it's non-taxable. If it's not a necessity, it's taxable.
                    "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

California's gone crazy with taxes. The McD's I work at has a 9% sales tax, go south into the next town and it's back to 7.25%.

The bay area is supposed to have like 10-11%!

I should shop at costco more.
                      Words to live by:

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
                      Never miss a good chance to shut up.
                      The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

New Zealand's Goods and Services Tax (What we pay on pretty much ANYTHING: Food, petrol, medical services, you name it) is 12.5% >_<
                        Violets are blue,
                        Roses are red,
                        I bequeath to thee...
                        A boot to the head >_>

Comment

Quoth bean View Post
                          Texas sales tax is mostly the same (except at a higher 8.25%... with no state income tax though).
                          O/T

Actually, state sales tax is 6.25% and city/county/municipal district/user etc. caps out at an additional 2% for the 8.25% total.

DH is probably going to be getting a business license in the near future, and I've learned more than I want to know in the past few days.

In my area, they also collect an additional 1% on fireworks each season that goes directly to the volunteer fire departments.
                          Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

When I'm shopping, I just automatically calculate a bit extra for the tax on each item. I'd much rather check out and find I don't need to pay as much as I thought than learn I owe more than I expected.
                            Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

Here in Virginia, there's no tax on medicines, a 4% tax on food items, and 5% tax on non-food items.

Strangely, the wholesale club's receipts separate the two forms of tax from one another, but doesn't specifically SAY what the taxes are for (It says, like, VA State Tax, and Va Sales Tax), so I often will get people asking, "Why are you guys charging me twice on the tax?!" Fortunately, they always calm down when I explain it's just the way our system itemizes it. "Well, that's stupid." "Yes, it is."
                              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                              X