Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shore thing episode 3: what's the deal? (longish)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shore thing episode 3: what's the deal? (longish)

Hey all, I love writting down these stories so I'm sorry if I seem to flood them in. I still have many to go through, but I thought I would give a little insight on what it means to be a Jersey shore resident and what BENNY means.

The jersey shore is obviously a hot spot for maryland, new york and Pennsylvania residents. two of those states don't have many beaches and the other doesn't have as many boardwalks as us. So some areas get certain types of tourists while others get completly different ones. I lived and worked right smack dab in the middle (Point Pleasent beach, Jenkinsons) so we got all the tourists you could imagine. now, not all of them are bad, I love talking to nice visitors and telling them some hot spots we have around, but here is the few terms I'll use the most when referring to tourists...

BENNY's- which is an acronym for Bayonne, Elizabeth, Newark and New York, so northen jersey and new york areas. we don't call all of the tourists from there bennys. only the mean, nasty and entitled ones. ones who throw trash on our beaches, rent a home for the summer and consider themselves "residents", loud and obnoxious talkers and just generally rude folk.

Shoobie- a shoobie is a tourist to jersey from the south. they get their names from 2 possible sources. one is that they always bring their own food (long ago it was in shoe boxes.. hint hint) so they never bought local food, which annoyed people who depend on tourists to eat here. the other guess is because they wear sandles like shoes, with socks on... usually black socks. this one I don't think is true because Bennys do that too. shoobies are ok compared to Bennys, they are only a slight annoyance.

European- not a bad name, and we normally don't care (please don't chew my head off ) but when working in a resturaunt it is easy to understand why we aren't pleased. they don't know how to tip ( I have been to Europe and know why), and some don't understand we don't allow smoking. it's not a big issue. only problem we get is some who don't care to understand this, or that in the US, resturaunts aren't a place you eat a meal for 3 hours or more. we make money off tips, while in many places in Europe they get paid well enough on their own. we try our best to make sure they know we need the tables... but sometimes.... sometimes you get those really mean folk who don't care and then don't tip. just a double whammy for the poor server.

so those are the normal three offenders. I don't have any bad stories of my own when it comes to any Europeans. the main offenders are almost always Bennys. but just for future reference.

Some shore residents have a special hatred for Benny's. my friend co-owns the "Benny go Home" company that caters to locals with shirts and fund raisers for historical spots. during the summer our crime rate sky rockets and traffic gets to be epic. they mostly try their best to save local historical spots that harken back to the 1920's-1950's era.

Asbury park is the latest victim in this. they have recently "rebuilt" the area. which translates into taking all of the amusment parks down and replacing them with niche shops that only carter to tourists, dismanteling a historical visitor center and turning it into a hotel, and destorying several historical arcades to put up... more hotels. even tourists hate it there, there is nothing to do, and it has lost all of its charm.

The year I moved to Philly was the year I saw my favorite spot be destroyed. mini golf is a big thing on the shore... or was... this one mini golf place was the best. it was a big fake mountain with 2 golf courses on it. one was the privateer side while the other was the buckneer side. each hole had signs with some local legends and history written on them. surrounded by water falls and caves! not to mention they had the 2 cutest german shepards that loved visitors (who came in the main enterance...). so the year I left I came back to visit... to see it no longer there, and a motel being put in its place.

so that's my back story and some local history for future reference in my stories. hope it wasn't too boring!

Interesting.

At my call center we refer to the mean, obnoxious people from Massachusetts as "massholes."

Comment

I know a few Massholes who are the nicest people (my fiance being one of them) who call themselves Massholes.

Comment

i loveeeeeee the jersey shore. not the fist pumping guidos/bennies :P!!!

ill be in Ocean Beach next weekend at my aunts shore house

Comment

*laugh* You are not making my summer job search any more attractive...Ocean Township here. I LOVE Jenkinson's Boardwalk, but avoid it like the plague summer weekends. Now early March, THAT'S a great time to go. Or mid-October. I've done early January, too, but half the arcades are closed then.

I admit I'm a transplant to the area myself, but after 19 months working returns at Target here, I share the locals' hatred of Bennys. It was like...it's not MY fault that you forgot your sunscreen, beach towel, cooler, bug spray, toothpaste, bathing suit, and patio furniture back in the city! And we're out because so did everyone else!
          It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

Quoth Anriana View Post
            Interesting.

At my call center we refer to the mean, obnoxious people from Massachusetts as "massholes."

HAHA! that's awesome! we only had local ones like that. one town over was mostly farm land (howell) so we called anyone there Howelbama's. but they apparently called anyone from my old town Brick Hicks.... which made no sense because we were technically a city with no farm land at all... or big forests... and we were quite diverse... so it just fed their stereotype of not being that bright.

Comment

Quoth LadyAndreca View Post
              *laugh* You are not making my summer job search any more attractive...Ocean Township here. I LOVE Jenkinson's Boardwalk, but avoid it like the plague summer weekends. Now early March, THAT'S a great time to go. Or mid-October. I've done early January, too, but half the arcades are closed then.

I admit I'm a transplant to the area myself, but after 19 months working returns at Target here, I share the locals' hatred of Bennys. It was like...it's not MY fault that you forgot your sunscreen, beach towel, cooler, bug spray, toothpaste, bathing suit, and patio furniture back in the city! And we're out because so did everyone else!

The money is all on the shore resturaunts during the summer, but never work there all year round, you'll hate it. I found the best times for the boardwalk was during the weekdays from april-June. but once memorial day hit, the party is over for locals. then september-november is a great time to hit it again. it is too bad only a few arcades stay open during the winter... but it's understandable.

Comment

I lived in Point Pleasant Borough from '91 to '95. Worked in Tinton Falls. Going home on a Friday during the summer was a chore. Took all the back roads.

A couple of Saturdays, I had to head north and I swear I drove past seven miles of cars, two lanes wide, heading south into town (Rt 35) and not moving. That is a recipe for SC.

Tried to stay home most weekends during the summer. I always enjoyed the boardwalk during the spring & fall.
                Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                Save the Ales!
                Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth Anriana View Post
                  Interesting.

That can apply to Massachusetts drivers too. Actually, that's the only time I've ever used the term.

And heck, I'll call myself a Masshole from time to time, if the situation warrants it.

Comment

I love Benny Go Home. I live in Monmouth county, just need to hop on 88 for 15 minutes or so to get to the boardwalk. Can't stand the bennys. They're often the ones driving the SUVs down the side streets taking up so much room you can't drive past them in the opposite lane.

Living so close, it's great to go midweek. I went a few weeks ago on a Sunday around 2-3 and it was some of the worst traffic and it was still before the 'season'. Almost got hit crossing the street by the Aquarium by someone with a NY plate that didn't realize that you need to stop for pedestrians, not try to race through the intersection before the light changes, or before the other car turns in front of you.

Comment

Quoth artifical sweetner View Post
                      i loveeeeeee the jersey shore. not the fist pumping guidos/bennies :P!!!

Me too!!!.... Hubby and I go to Wildwood for vacation every year....
                      This is also the time of the year that I get on my parents for selling the shore house.. They used to have a house right by Long Beach Island!

Comment

Quoth Mottom24 View Post
                        BENNY's- which is an acronym for Bayonne, Elizabeth, Newark and New York, so northen jersey and new york areas. we don't call all of the tourists from there bennys. only the mean, nasty and entitled ones. ones who throw trash on our beaches, rent a home for the summer and consider themselves "residents", loud and obnoxious talkers and just generally rude folk.
                        I used to live in Ocean County. I thought benny was short for the amount of money aka "benjamin's" they pass around. I learn something new every day.

Comment

Working...
                        X