Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just because you're in college doesn't mean squat!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just because you're in college doesn't mean squat!

First time poster! I work in the ID office at the University I attend. I have worked here since before I was a freshmen and I still work here as a super senior. I have two managers who are amazing and are experts with dealing with obnoxious people. Here are a list of the most random and bizarre folks that have ever walked through this office. Seriously, how did they make it this far in life.

Helpful Parents
    That is sweet that you want to help your kid becoming an adult and all but they need to learn to do things for themselves.
    I had this one mother call me from New York (I go to school in DE) and she left me baffled by the end of our conversation.

Mom: Hi, I am calling because my daughter has lost her university ID card and needs to get it replaced.
    Me: Ok, she needs to come into Student Services with a photo id (license or Passport) and it will be a $15 replacement fee.
    Mom: Oh that's fine, but is there anyway it can be delivered to her?
    Me: No. We need to have the card-holder present for a replacement.
    Mom: Well, I am not saying you have to deliver it personally but is there anyway way it can be brought to her?
    Me: I am sorry but she really needs to come to our office because she has to fill out some paperwork as well.
    Mom: Well, the thing is. . . it is cold and she left all her winter clothes at home so she really can't leave her dorm room.

. . . . . how is she getting to her classes?

The Crybaby
    It is our policy to not retake pictures unless the person blinked or has changed drastically over the years. Otherwise we would be retaking pictures all the time because no one is ever happy! I have had people get upset and mumble profanities at me but only once did a girl break down in hysterics. I mean she was kicking and screaming in front of hundreds of other incoming freshmen waiting to get their id cards. I stood their stunned. Really? Really? Who the hell approved your application? Seriously, it needs to be revoked!

The Chump
    Its always a group of guys that come in together cause their one friend lost his card. Then they all stand at the counter and bombard me with questions. I am sick and tired of people asking if I make fake ids. I really like this job. We have a tv and a lot of downtime. My boss is awesome and brings me baked treats on occasion. I would not jeopardize that! So then they will ask if I will make them a fake id. This one guy called me a bitch and tried to hit me in the face because i wouldn't change his name. Guess what he wanted it changed to? . . . . . . Hung Like a Horse
    compensating for something there, buddy?

other annoyances include;
    - "What do you mean it's $15!!! last time i came here it was only $5!!!
    *No, it was never 5 dollars dipshit!!!* And oh my god, July will suck because the price will be raised to $25!!!

- We also do pool id cards (basically the office i work for does everything as well as provide a phone directory service. we just print the cards people!!) So please, if your infant/toddler/child needs to get his or her picture taken DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT wake the child from his nap. Otherwise they turn into little gremlins and you wont be pleased with the final product.

- My favorite is when someone storms into the office, already red in the face, and yells at me "You screwed it up!!!"
    You caught me! my life's mission is to fuck with strangers. When I'm bored I will rummage through files and change important bits of information to see if anyone will notice. But every time it was because the person sent in the wrong address/birthdate/ssn/etc and it is my fault I didn't catch it in time. . . . i dont deal with that stuff i just print ID cards!

Other than that most customers are decent. Thanks for letting me vent! I must commend everyone else on this site for putting up with the most crazed batshit I have ever heard of.

till next time. . . .
    When Angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel.

Welcome! Please please please post more sucky student stories, I love those!
    "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

Hell, I learned a loooong time ago that the only thing that makes an ID picture look good is the photo you get on your next one...
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth G-Radical View Post

Helpful Parents
        Sounds like a case of helicopter parent.

The Crybaby
        Man, my ID picture turned out OK. We all laughed about the baby-poo colour of the card instead.

The Chump
        So I'm guessing he spends his spare time spanking the little monkey then?

- "What do you mean it's $15!!! last time i came here it was only $5!!!
        *No, it was never 5 dollars dipshit!!!* And oh my god, July will suck because the price will be raised to $25!!!
        Holy....ours are free the first time and up to $20 the next time around. you also need to do another one if you're honours, graduate or staff.
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart17 View Post

So I'm guessing he spends his spare time spanking the little monkey then?

He can beat the bishop all he wants, ain't no way he'll ever be hung better than a chihuahua.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

We get new photo's every year, it is the most annoying part of Course Approval. We also get new cards. Another uni in NZ just prints a wee sticker to put over the year, I guess you could figure out the sticker thing and be a perpetual student for discounts etc if you really wanted...

I've been lucky with my uni ID's, they've all been pretty good. I'm not going to complain if its not, it's just an ID photo, it's not like it is EXTREMELY important.

Actually I need to check the photo on one of my ID's for something else, I was out with a nice fever that weekend, pretty sure my temp was already up when that photo got taken...
            Began work Aug as casual '08
            Ex-coworkers from current place of work: 26ish
            Current co-workers at current place of work: 15ish - yes he just hired 3 more casuals
            Why do I still work there again?

Comment

It was the same thing at my university. Sounds like the same deal. But everyone I knew who didn't like their picture had no problem paying the $15 to replace it. jeez.

Comment

I mean she was kicking and screaming in front of hundreds of other incoming freshmen waiting to get their id cards. I stood their stunned. Really? Really? Who the hell approved your application? Seriously, it needs to be revoked!
                One word: Legacy.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

- My favorite is when someone storms into the office, already red in the face, and yells at me "You screwed it up!!!"
                  I've actually defused this type by looking them in the eye and saying, "Oh, and this behavior will certainly make me want to get it right, huh?" Most times, they'll calm down. The one who don't will get everything they deserve.
                  The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                  "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                  Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                    He can beat the bishop all he wants, ain't no way he'll ever be hung better than a chihuahua.
                    True but at least the Chihuahua sounds smarter.
                    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                      True but at least the Chihuahua sounds smarter.
                      Yo quiero Taco Bell?
                      "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

"It was late at night and I was in a fog...
                        I ran overrr...THE TACO BELL DOG!"

^ Actual lines from a song I heard years ago and can't remember it very well...

Comment

In the Fleet and Family Services office here, where they do the military IDs, there's a paper taped up in about four places that reads:

If you want a better photo, bring a better face.
                          "Do not quibble with me over apostrophes. I have my shit together when it comes to apostrophes." - BookBint

Comment

I've seen quite a few ID's myself. One of the DMV offices in Downtown Chicago has the worst lighting arrangement for photography. Everyone looks like the living dead. I'm ready for my close-up, Mr. Romero. (Bonus for those who can name the source.)
                            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                              I'm ready for my close-up, Mr. Romero. (Bonus for those who can name the source.)
                              The original was Sunset Boulevard. "I'm ready for my close-up Mr De Mille." Leatherface says it Texas Chainsaw Massacre too.
                              Don't know a Romero one though.
                              "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Working...
                              X