This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• False Advertising card! (sorta long)

Thankfully I didn't deal with this one myself, but over the phone and through the girlfriend. Also, a note, as I'm a manager I tend to be over-wordy when explaining things, as I don't want there to be a misunderstanding between myself and the customers. Most of them understand and if I need to I can use fewer words, but I'm usually very friendly and chatty with them anyhow. Just a warning, I tend to "talk" in paragraphs.

She came into the store with a used movie she had bought, but it was the wrong title. Sorta like the difference between Instinct and Basic Instinct, but not those movies.

Me:
    SCG: SC's Girl
    SC: SC (on phone, talking through her)

SCG - So yeah, this is the wrong movie, we want the <other one>, I don't know how we ended up with this one.
    Me - Alright, no problem since this one is still in the plastic, let me just see if we have any in stock, it might have been just in the wrong spot or in the inventory wrong and that's how you got that one instead. *looks up the right movie* Bah, we only have one in stock, and it's new, not used. *goes into spiel* The problem with having only one of anything for us is that a) it's hard to find as people move things around and b) it's 60% probable that we dont' actually have it, as people tend to steal things alot from us, or the inventory could be wrong, or it could be returned already for repair and not actually in the store, etc. There's just any sort of possibilities, but we can look for it if you want it, it just won't be a used copy, thus a bit more expensive. AND I do see that this movie came out in 1997, and is discontinued... the fact that we have a NEW one would be very unlikely as the only way we can even get ahold of it now would be a customer selling us their old copy, then it would be used. But we can look and see if we have it if you're determined! (Yes I tend to talk a lot, as this all does need to be explained at times, bah.)
    SCG - Um, let me call SC and see if he wants to pay the difference. What would be the cost?
    Me - Well, the <wrong movie> was 5.99 and the <right movie> is 13.99 if we actually do have it, so it's an 8 dollar difference.
    SCG - Um, what? The sticker on the <wrong movie> says 9.99... how was it 5.99?
    Me - Ah, usually when we change prices in the system, we have thousands and thousands of items we're changing, and it would take all day to print out new stickers and find all the items that need it. It's really a waste of time for us, and as you can see with our current project of remodeling the store, we need all the people and time we can get! (The store's a mess, it's a pain for us all) Usually we'll just put a sign with the changed items saying the new price or let it be a pleasant surprise for whoever's getting it, if it's not a huge price change. It's almost always a lower price anyhow. But yes, you did only pay 5.99 for this, it's on the receipt here.
    SCG - Oh... okay... *calls SC to ask about the price difference* Yeah, they have the <right movie> but it's 8 dollars more ... no, we paid 5.99 ... well no, the sticker says 9.99 but we paid 5.99 ... no, <right movie> is new that's why it's more ... alright if they have it I'll get it but if not I'll get <a different movie>. Um... okay. Bye.
    Me - *waiting on conversation* Shall we look for it then?
    SCG - Well... he says that since the sticker on the movie says 9.99, then that's the price you NEED to take off the <right movie>, as that's false advertising!
    Me - (I got to say it, woohoo)... ... ... Nnno, I'm very sorry but that's not correct. If you had paid the 9.99 and the sticker had said 5.99, yes that WOULD be false advertising. But as you paid a lower price than the sticker, well, that's a bonus, not false advertising. You were willing to pay a higher price for that movie and it was a pleasant surprise that it was lower. I won't be able to refund the sticker price for you, just what you paid, which is the 5.99. Do you still want to look for the <right movie>?
    SCG - Ugh, yeah, that's fine, he's (SC) just a pain in the ass.
    Me - Alright then!

You said it, not me!
    Confirmed altoholic.

Nice, even his gf knows he's a jerk

Comment

Hey at least she didn't try to press the issue. Based on her response she probably didn't feel like arguing with him and said it just so it wouldn't be a lie when she told him you still said no.

Or at least I can dream that this is what the scenario was.

Comment

Working...
      X