This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Jester View Post
    I am pretty sure that my purchases of Thin Mints (the only real Girl Scout cookies) over the years has probably financed a few of those by now.
    Ah, a man after my own heart. Though I was partial to the Samoas as a kid, too. (The shortbread cookie with chocolate, caramel, and coconut.) I bought 2 boxes of Thin Mints from my friend's neice this year.

Quoth Jester View Post
    George Foreman also made his living for several years by having large men punch him in the head. 'Nuff said there!
    This is true.
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
      Ah, a man after my own heart. Though I was partial to the Samoas as a kid, too.
      Oh, there are other good Girl Scout cookies out there, no question. But the only real ones are the Thin Mints.

To give you an idea of my utter inability to resist these creations, the last time I went by the local grocery store and saw them out there selling their wares (by them I mean the Girl Scouts' mothers, as there was maybe one Girl Scout there, occasionally, just as a visual prop), I called them "evil." They were confused until I bought several boxes of Thin Mints, continuing to call the sellers "evil" and "horrible people," the entire time with a smile on my face and a twinkle in my eye.

They are evil, though. As they proffer a good I have no control over my willpower towards. I will--and have--eaten Thin Mints until I have gotten sick. The list of things that I will do that with is very, very short.

Damn you Girl Scouts! And your mothers too!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
        (by them I mean the Girl Scouts' mothers, as there was maybe one Girl Scout there, occasionally, just as a visual prop)
        I saw a table set up near Best Buy yesterday. As I was walking down the sidewalk, all I could see was the girl's dad. She was sitting on a chair in the landscaping, and neither one of them said anything as I walked by. Might wanna work on your sales tactics, there, folks... (Not that I was going to buy any more, anyway.)

Comment

Anytime the Girl Scouts/Boy Scouts/Cub Scouts/K-Kids have a fundraiser at the swamp, they always have a table set up by the cart corral.

And at least one parent is with the kids at all times. There might also be a kid with an adult to hold signs outside.

And whatever, the cause, I always wind up divesting myself of cash to satisfy my Thin Mints addiction. Or my mint meltaway bar addiction. One of the candy makers that often provides the goods for these fundraisers has the best mint meltaway bars EVAR. Seriously, you could be the Al-Qaeda Association of Puppy Punters and I'd probably give them money if they had those mint meltaway bars for sale.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Never tell your daughter, "Oh, just pick out some for me" when HER daughter is selling them. Two cases of Thin Mints and three cases of mixed kinds appeared on the front seat of my car. Cases. Gave some away, kept all the Thin Mints.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
              And whatever, the cause, I always wind up divesting myself of cash to satisfy my Thin Mints addiction. Or my mint meltaway bar addiction. One of the candy makers that often provides the goods for these fundraisers has the best mint meltaway bars EVAR.
              The Boy Scouts around here used to sell Old Monmouth Peanut Brittle. Oh, nummy.

(until I stopped eating peanuts, anyway.)

Comment

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
                But alas, despite there now being plenty of room for them to migrate to like errant wildebeest, they chose to remain in position, trapping me
                "Help! I need an adult!"
                Public Transit
                Were they singing about moving to Santa Fe and starting a restaurant, with a hot latina guy in a Santa Claus coat?
                Grungepole would talk, Jig-Mite would dance and Doughroll would space out and ignore both of them until Jig-Mite yelled at her.
                Whu... who... where did Doughroll come from? You mean, Brillo leveled up?
                "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Becks View Post
                  On that note: About "service me" guy-- A coworker at the former place of employment had/has been known to ask customers waiting in line at the seafood or deli counters (depending on which department he was working in at the time) "Who's not being serviced?"
                  I know I'd end up on these pages if I did... but I so would have raised my hand and said "I haven't... you can feel free to service me, you can service me all you want"

wanna bet he'd change his question after that
                  If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                    She was sitting on a chair in the landscaping, and neither one of them said anything as I walked by. Might wanna work on your sales tactics, there, folks...
                    I think their philosophy was that the cookies sold themselves.

I am not sure they were wrong.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Becks View Post
                      Moving on to brothers with the same name... I know of two (former, now?) Major League Baseball players, brothers, obviously, who have the same first name, Jose. They made a deal that the first one to the majors would go by Jose, the second by his own middle name.

Thus, Jose Valentin and his brother (Jose) Javier Valentin. (They're called by their middle names by family...and Bella and I would often get Jose's attention at ballgames by yelling out "Tony!!!")

Good times.
                      Javier is still playing. I'm 98% sure, anyway...

Quoth Jester View Post
                      Um, why Tony?
                      Because Jose's middle name was Antonio.
                      I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                        As for the middle names being used by the family, I think that is pretty common in Hispanic cultures, and that their first names are more akin to our middle names. Of course, not being from a Hispanic culture, I could be horribly wrong on this one.
                        Usually it's the middle names that are all the same, and that is normally because it's their mother's maiden name. Although, there are some instances where they go redneck and their first name is two names, sharing the first of the two names (Miguel Angel and Miguel Roberto, for example). The shared name is usually a family members name (Parent, Grandparent, or deceased cousin/sibling) and the second name is the name they take when they go through their confirmation (if they're Catholic).

As far as Girl Scout Cookies are concerned, I used to have a neighbor that would exceed all goals from my house alone. between my mom, my brother, one of my sisters, and myself we'd buy like 40 boxes of Thin Mints, another 40 of the peanut Butter cookies (the ones covered in chocolate), and then a mix of the sugar cookies, samoans, pinwheels, etc. Throw most of them in the freezer and we'd be good for a while.

On a side note related to cookies... Take a package of thin mints, freeze them, and then shatter them all to a powder and mix into milk shakes or cheesecake crusts. MMMMMmmmmmm

CH
                        Some People Are Alive Only Because It Is Illegal To Kill Them

Comment

All right, all right, fine. I’ll try and put this a bit more scientifically. Ok, you. As in the person I am speaking with, are essentially a intellectual singularity. The point within a terrible, mental black hole at which all thought is cruelly sucked in and than compressed into a zero sum of nothingness. Around this epicenter where thought goes to die is a overwhelming aura of suck that slowly draws away the mental strength of any caught within its currents.

My only hope is that I may escape before I reach the event horizon and cross the point of no return. Which, I assume, is what happened to the rest of your coworkers if past call history is any indication.
                          You'll never make it out of the Gravity well! Quick! Eject some mass to increase the effective thrust! I suggest the Parietal Lobe.

You must have some idea what size they are unless you’re clothed entirely in garbage bags and old drapes.
                          But.....I saw it in the window and just became overwhelmed by a kleptomantic level of desire for them!
                          Bark like a chicken!

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                            Obviously I am not.
                            I noticed.

Quoth Jester View Post
                            Um, why Tony?
                            Bella knows...

Quoth Jester View Post
                            Well, yes and no. What would often happen would be they would name their child something, like "John" and, if John died, they would name the next one "John." But I do not think they named two living children the same thing.
                            Some people did.

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                            I know I'd end up on these pages if I did... but I so would have raised my hand and said "I haven't... you can feel free to service me, you can service me all you want"

wanna bet he'd change his question after that
                            I'm sure he'd go for it.

Quoth Bella_Vixen View Post
                            Javier is still playing. I'm 98% sure, anyway...
                            I'll take your word for it.

Quoth Bella_Vixen View Post
                            Because Jose's middle name was Antonio.
                            Told ya, Jester.
                            Unseen but seeing
                            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                            3rd shift needs love, too
                            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                              Oh, there are other good Girl Scout cookies out there, no question. But the only real ones are the Thin Mints.

To give you an idea of my utter inability to resist these creations, the last time I went by the local grocery store and saw them out there selling their wares (by them I mean the Girl Scouts' mothers, as there was maybe one Girl Scout there, occasionally, just as a visual prop), I called them "evil." They were confused until I bought several boxes of Thin Mints, continuing to call the sellers "evil" and "horrible people," the entire time with a smile on my face and a twinkle in my eye.

They are evil, though. As they proffer a good I have no control over my willpower towards. I will--and have--eaten Thin Mints until I have gotten sick. The list of things that I will do that with is very, very short.

Damn you Girl Scouts! And your mothers too!
                              So the billboards were right! Resistance is futile!

Quoth 1756GR2 View Post
                              Never tell your daughter, "Oh, just pick out some for me" when HER daughter is selling them. Two cases of Thin Mints and three cases of mixed kinds appeared on the front seat of my car. Cases. Gave some away, kept all the Thin Mints.
                              I had a friend in HS who was a junior leader. I bought as many boxes as I could fit in my locker, and people would stop by whenever they saw me there to beg cookies. Almost got busted for dealing (illegal) drugs once!

Quoth crashhelmet View Post

On a side note related to cookies... Take a package of thin mints, freeze them, and then shatter them all to a powder and mix into milk shakes or cheesecake crusts. MMMMMmmmmmm
                              I must try this!
                              Last edited by AriRashkae; 06-08-2009, 12:57 PM. Reason: Adding replies to other posts
                              Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

For those of you that love Thin Mints AND are drinkers, I have a suggestion.

The next time you are sick and/or it is cold out, and you stop into your local watering hole, order hot chocolate with Bailey's and peppermint schnapps. Drink about 4-6 of these. If you are sick, you will either feel much better or get drunk enough where you forget that you are sick. Or both! And the bonus either way is that these things taste just like Thin Mints. And the name of the drink, of course, is the Girl Scout Cookie!

Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                                X