X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
    Then again, Utah truly is the suck, we get both earthquakes and tornadoes
    So do we. Granted, the tornados are very few and far between (we did have a funnel cloud in the southern part of the state just recently) and the earthquakes are very low on the Richter scale, but we do have them.

Every few years or so in Las Cruces, we'll hear loud, and I mean loud, bangs. Enough to rattle doors. Nobody's ever been able to explain them. And no, it's nothing being done out at White Sands and they're certainly not sonic booms (We had the F-117 and now the F-22 at Holloman AFB). One of the theories is something to do with the plates.

and a completely unrelated note, but something I thought was interesting that I just remembered from my freshman year geology class, the reason why earthquakes are so prevalent in the western United States and why Colorado, Utah, Idaho, and Nevada have so much higher average elevations than the rest of the country is because there actually is a small tectonic plate under the North American plate in this area.
    There's a reason why the Rio Grande runs where it does.
    It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post

Every few years or so in Las Cruces, we'll hear loud, and I mean loud, bangs. Enough to rattle doors. Nobody's ever been able to explain them. And no, it's nothing being done out at White Sands and they're certainly not sonic booms (We had the F-117 and now the F-22 at Holloman AFB). One of the theories is something to do with the plates.
      Aren't there also mysterious lights also? And some mystery hum? And have you seen/heard them?

[I read Fortean Times and it is full of wierd stuff like that]
      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Then again, Utah truly is the suck, we get both earthquakes and tornadoes
        Yeah, but the tornadoes are very rarely much more than dust devil size...

Except for the one in 1999 that destroyed a gay bar (The Sun), killed one man at an outdoor retailer's show, skipped Temple Square, and chewed up City Creek Park.

My dad had finished registering for the show and was 1 mile away when it hit.
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

oh, and another interesting thing with that sentiment... people say that as if California is the only place that gets earthquakes,
          Wasn't the New Madrid Earthquake the worst in US history? That was in the Mississippi valley and affected half a dozen states, non of which were California.
          Last edited by cinema guy; 07-16-2009, 09:35 PM.
          "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
            Wasn't the New Madrid Earthquake the worst in US history?
            Worst in area affected - maybe a million square miles? (Sorry - 8th grade state history was a looooooonnnnnng time ago ) If it pops these days though, it'll put Cali to shame - nothing in the area is quake proofed.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
              Except for the one in 1999 that destroyed a gay bar (The Sun), killed one man at an outdoor retailer's show, skipped Temple Square, and chewed up City Creek Park.
              a fact that has been repeated so many times that it is starting to get urban legend status... like to the point where I've heard missionaries use that as proof that the church is true, because, you know, weird weather never happens

Oh well, eventually the big quake that we've been promised for the last... how many years now... will hit and all of Salt Lake will be destroyed, we'll all die, and the debate will be over with
              If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                I never got that Mark Twain line about the coldest winter he ever spent was the summer he spent in San Francisco.....until I spent some time in San Francisco.

I get it. Oh, do I ever.
                See, I always attributed it to the culture, not the weather. Just about every San Franciscan I've IRL known has always snobbed up at me.

However, in defense of the kindly SFers, I should note that I was interacting with people who seriously believed in the joke title of the "People's Republic of Berkeley", who deemed any other city in the world to be totally without culture (including London, Paris, and Rome, for example) and who all could not conceive of ever living outside of California. Living in the "slum" of Los Angeles was about the level they could tolerate.

Gee, kinda strange how I never kept in touch with 'em.

how about a gaymer club
                Dude, for that you come to Atlanta, home of White Wolf, DragonCon, and more gaming/anime stuff than you can choke down. Frolicon might be of interest to you.
                Regards,
                The Exiled, V.2.0

"The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind."
                - H. P. Lovecraft

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                  Hey, don't be too sure about that.

There was a while where there would be a string of seismic activity at just after 7am that would head from somewhere in the southwest US (I forget the actual state) and go southwest out to the ocean and back, and would happen like clockwork every Thursday morning for about 2 months. Turns out it was testing on some project that came out of top secret classification about a year later.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                    The F-22 can supercruise, which means it can go supersonic without afterburners.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                      Aren't there also mysterious lights also? And some mystery hum? And have you seen/heard them?

[I read Fortean Times and it is full of wierd stuff like that]
                      Lights? The closest that you could be thinking of are the Lubbock Lights (301 mi NE of Las Cruces) or the ones over Phoenix (319 mi west of Las Cruces) a few years ago.

The hum is the Taos Hum. Funny thing, the natives don't hear it. It's only newbies that have moved in. Last few times I've been there, I've listened for it and have never heard it.

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                      Hey, don't be too sure about that.

There was a while where there would be a string of seismic activity at just after 7am that would head from somewhere in the southwest US (I forget the actual state) and go southwest out to the ocean and back, and would happen like clockwork every Thursday morning for about 2 months. Turns out it was testing on some project that came out of top secret classification about a year later.

^-.-^
                      Not around Las Cruces/southern NM.

Quoth mikoyan29 View Post
                      The F-22 can supercruise, which means it can go supersonic without afterburners.
                      Yeah, but these aren't sonic booms. You'd have to hear it to get the difference. Believe me, with the presence of those planes and other testing that goes on, we know when it's a sonic boom. Plus, some of these were long before the Stealth or the Raptor, like the 70s.

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                        The hum is the Taos Hum. Funny thing, the natives don't hear it. It's only newbies that have moved in. Last few times I've been there, I've listened for it and have never heard it.
                        If it's a constant thing, it can actually cause you to lose that pitch after long enough.

One of my cars had a whine when I had the clutch pushed, and it annoyed the hell out of me, but my dad, who used to be a machinist, couldn't hear it at all.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                          Lights? The closest that you could be thinking of are the Lubbock Lights (301 mi NE of Las Cruces) or the ones over Phoenix (319 mi west of Las Cruces) a few years ago.

Bummer =) it would be interesting to see something odd ...
                          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                            If it's a constant thing, it can actually cause you to lose that pitch after long enough.
                            Yeah, but I don't spend that much time in Taos. It's been years since I've been. And last time, I was actively listening to see if I heard anything....nada. And I've got extremely sensitive ears.

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                            Bummer =) it would be interesting to see something odd ...
                            About the closest we get is if they're doing something over at McGregor Range on the other side of the Organ Mountains (just to the East of Las Cruces)....or if said mountains are on fire. http://media.photobucket.com/image/o...ns_On_Fire.jpg

Comment

Working...
                            X