This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regular suckage, lightning round style

A collection of quick ones that happen on a regular basis at my supermarket:

If you'd rather pay more, Part 1

My store has what amounts to a frequent flyer card for customers. Certain items are on sale week to week; the discounts are applied when the cashier scans your card.

Me: <rings items and totals the order> ... "Do you have your <store> card with you today?"
    SC: <hands me the card> ... "Oooooh, I saved a whole 24 cents!"
    Me: "I can reverse the discount if you'd like "
    SC: <pays in a hurry and leaves in shame>

If you'd rather pay more, Part 2

One day per week, we offer a 5% discount on the entire order for senior citizens. Apparently that's not good enough ...

SC: "What's the senior discount?"
    Me: "It's five percent on your entire order, sir/ma'am."
    SC: "Five percent!? That's nothing. You should offer 10 percent ... at least that's something!"
    Me: "Ten percent is twice five percent, and twice nothing is still nothing, so if five percent is nothing, ten percent must be nothing as well. If you really want nothing, we can accommodate that, or you can have the five percent instead."
    SC: <head asplodes>

Where am I supposed to go?

There are 3 Post Office branches within a 2-mile radius of my store. You'd think we were the only stamp retailer on the continent. We sell them at cost, as a service. We make no money doing it, and this is the thanks we get when we invariably sell through our inventory.

SC: "Book of stamps!"
    Me: "I'm sorry, sir/ma'am. We're all sold of stamps at the moment."
    SC: "This is ridiculous! Where the hell am I supposed to go to get stamps?"
    Me: " I hear the US Post Office sells them now."

How did you find me?

This one happens over the phone, at least 10 times per day.

Me: "Thank you for choosing <store>, how can I help you?"
    SC: "Yeah, uh, can you give me the phone number for the <store> at <some location 20 miles away>?"

Yes. It's in the phone book, about two inches from the listing for my store. You could also have called 411, or used the internet. I'm just curious ... who did you call to get our phone number?

Do you come here quarterly?

SC: "I need a rain check for <some weird item that's on sale>."
    Me: "OK ... <writes out rain check> ... here you are sir/ma'am, it's good for two weeks, but we should have the item back in stock by the day after tomorrow."
    SC: "Two weeks!? That's not very long, is it?"
    Me: "It's twice as long as the one-week sale. That's not long enough for you?"
    SC: "Day after tomorrow, you said? I guess that'll be OK."

That's what I thought.

Its these repeditive incidents that really bring on the stress. Its not the random psycho things that push us over the edge. Its these people, angry that they can't buy their stamps, that drive us to the nut house.

Comment

Quoth Fast_Eddie View Post
      How did you find me?
      This one happens over the phone, at least 10 times per day.

Me: "Thank you for choosing <store>, how can I help you?"
      SC: "Yeah, uh, can you give me the phone number for the <store> at <some location 20 miles away>?"

Yes. It's in the phone book, about two inches from the listing for my store. You could also have called 411, or used the internet. I'm just curious ... who did you call to get our phone number?
      Sometimes new locations open faster than we can add the number to our database. In that case I tell my customer I can give them the number to another location of the same store where they might know the number for the newer location. I thought it made perfect sense but I'll stop offering that if it generally pisses people off.
      Long days, short nights, a bottle of NOS makes it all right.

Canadians Unite !

Comment

Me: "Ten percent is twice five percent, and twice nothing is still nothing, so if five percent is nothing, ten percent must be nothing as well. If you really want nothing, we can accommodate that, or you can have the five percent instead."
        SC: <head asplodes>
        "let me do the math here -- nothing into nothing, carry the nothing -- still nothing" (cookie for reference)
        Interesting Fodder: http://interestingfodder.typepad.com

Comment

Quoth 411guy View Post
          Sometimes new locations open faster than we can add the number to our database. In that case I tell my customer I can give them the number to another location of the same store where they might know the number for the newer location. I thought it made perfect sense but I'll stop offering that if it generally pisses people off.
          That's a perfectly reasonable thing to do. My company, however, has not opened a new store in at least 3 years. These are just people who genuinely don't know how to use a phone book.

Comment

Quoth bloodrose View Post
            "let me do the math here -- nothing into nothing, carry the nothing -- still nothing" (cookie for reference)
            I don't really know, but the quote makes me think of Real Genius

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth bloodrose View Post

Firefly! <3 Jayne, I just watched that episode over.

Comment

Quoth invadernina View Post
                Firefly! <3 Jayne, I just watched that episode over.
                He's the hero of Canton. :w00t:
                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

A collection of quick ones that happen on a regular basis at my supermarket:

If you'd rather pay more, Part 1
                  We have a somewhat similar program, with specials from time to time. I get the opposite however....customer buys, then yells at me when said discount doesn't crop up straightaway. What REALLY makes me laugh is people expect the discounts to happen without the card.

If you'd rather pay more, Part 2

While I think my head also went boom, that was brilliant. We don't offer that sort of thing at my work, for reasons beyond me...our staff cards cover us for the most part (5% except for certain days when it's 10%) and people who've been working with the company for a certain number of years get a discount card for life...so it is kind of like our senior discount, but only for those who've put in the hard yards.

Where am I supposed to go?
                  I get this with bus tickets, prepaid phone credit, calling cards and when I have NO money in my drawer and am asked for cash out. Answer to all of the above: the newsagent a few stores down. (we sell phone credit and calling cards, but a LOT of customers don't get it)

How did you find me?
                  I feel for our supervisors when our new store opens in a few weeks time. They'll most likely be getting this...

Do you come here quarterly?
                  Had a customer the other day with a raincheck. I took a closer look at it and it was from 2007! I still took it and changed the date but still...
                  The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Working...
                  X