This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A**hat of the evening award...

We have a couple young drivers - as mentioned in another post. They may be young, but they know their stuff...

One of them is all of 19 - just a baby! Anyway...

He gets on location tonight for a jumpstart and the first thing the member says when my driver gets out of the truck is:

"I can't believe they send you young inexperienced kids out here to work on cars!"

No "Hi" "how are you?" "Nice weather we're having"...nothing...just asshatery from the get go.

I should add that these young guys are full of piss and vinegar...they don't care if they are rude to the members who are rude to them. He ended up installing a battery for this guy and he could've given the guy new cables because they really needed to be replaced but because the guy was such an ass he said "fuck it" installed the battery and left.
    Last edited by friendofjimmyk; 11-19-2006, 12:18 AM.
    "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Would they have preferred an elderly guy with a walker?

Comment

"I'm sorry, you seem to feel that I'm too young and inexperienced to help you with your car troubles. Have a nice day." *Gets in truck and speeds off*
      free from the evil clutches of crappy tire

Comment

"I'm sorry sir....I'll send someone more experienced"

Marks work order as [done] and drives off.

Let them figure out why things didn't work out after that. Idiots. Jeebus.
        Just because someone is young does NOT make them inexperienced.
        Who is this rectal-cranial inverted twit....and where is my sledgehammer??

Comment

Age does not always equal more experience. We have a driver who is 23 and knows more than most the other older drivers, can work circles around them, and is often the first called out to location if another driver needs help.
          "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

I have met people in their sixties who know jack shit.

I also have a friend who is all of 26 who knows more about Scotch than anyone I have ever met. And I work in BARS!

Some of the best magicians I have ever seen were very young for their talent level. (If you ever get a chance to see Joshua Jay, take it.)

My friend FE had his SECOND magic bar by the time he was 24. He's been at that one for the last 9.5 years. (I am filling in for him this week. ) He also ran for Mayor of Key West when he was 24.

I ran for Mayor of Tempe, Arizona (my home town) when I was 21. When people would question my lack of experience, I would point out to them that the people with the experience were the ones that had made such a mess of things in the first place.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
              I ran for Mayor of Tempe, Arizona (my home town) when I was 21. When people would question my lack of experience, I would point out to them that the people with the experience were the ones that had made such a mess of things in the first place.
              I had a friend who worked with me at the last restaurant I worked at who ran for Mayor of Dallas and he was 27 at the time.

Comment

when I worked for a credit card company people flipped shit at the fact that a 17 year old kid was taking payments and giving them their account info, I got in allot of trouble at that job for taking the time to fix the problem and not rushing through the problem portion of the call to get to and make the sale
                NEVER again will I take an inbound sales job of any kind

had a call earlier from one of the motor clubs asking if we could help out with an unlock in Lincoln, Arkansas. when I told her we were in Lincoln Nebraska I have never heard anyone apologise and hang up so fast in my life!
                "Ride the spiral to the end, it may just go where no one's been. Spiral out, keep going..." -Lateralus

Comment

I'm only 22, and I've been running my department since I was 17. The vast majority of our customers have not met me, only know me by name and voice.

Which I think is a good thing. If they met me they might get uppity about my age. I can show them I know my stuff and that I'm the best at what I do. (I'm arrogant about my work and that of my staff, and I don't care who gets pissed about it).

Then the ones who meet me are just surprised about me. Which is fun.

Agism is just a fact of life I think. There are some very ignorant people in the world. They think young = immautre/stupid and old = senile and weak.

Comment

Quoth draftermatt View Post
                    Then the ones who meet me are just surprised about me. Which is fun..
                    Totally OT - I think I may have mentioned this here before - when people know my last name before they meet me - there are a lot that are noticably surprised when they finally meet me. My last name is of Spanish orgin and they are most often suspecting a woman of darker complexion.

Comment

When I was working at Goodwill, I was in my early 20s. One of my supervisors was a couple of years younger than me. I didn't have a problem with it. Good for her, I say!!!!!!
                      Unseen but seeing
                      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                      3rd shift needs love, too
                      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth friendofjimmyk View Post
                        "I can't believe they send you young inexperienced kids out here to work on cars!"
                        Now that takes balls. Last I checked, it's usually not a good idea to piss off someone working on your car...

To me, I don't care how old someone is. If they can do the job, that's all I care about. In fact, about 2 weeks ago, I had to call AAA for a jumpstart. The guy that came was probably younger than me. However, since he got the car jumped, and installed a new battery easily and quickly, I didn't care. I *could* have probably gotten away with just getting the thing jumped, but since my car still had the original (and 6-year-old ) battery, he recommended (and I agreed upon) replacing it.
                        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
                        X