Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You.. walked out of the store with that? Isn't that stealing?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You.. walked out of the store with that? Isn't that stealing?

On a few occasions per year, we'll set up a register outside in the parking lot (communicating wirelessly with the network/CC authorization). Usually when we're grilling burgers outside.

Today was the first time we've done that this year. We used to do it a lot more often until the city came down on us hard for not pulling a permit for every occasion we grill (and we're only allowed to pull 4 permits a year). We had no idea we needed a permit to grill burgers on our own property, but I digress.

Today I was on the mobile register (it's on a big wooden cart with an 8 hour power supply built in to it, along with a decent antenna for our wireless network so the CC/debit/check authorization can go through). They brought me a stack of stuff from our deli and said they needed to pay for them.

Wait... did you walk out of the FRONT DOOR with all of that stuff? Without paying? You're shitting me right?

I gave them a pretty stern warning about doing that again in the future. They were more dumbfounded than anything.

I guess I am missing something. Your store set up a special register for people to pay for things. You were at that register. These people came up to your register to pay for what they wanted to buy.

Why does your store think that is stealing?
    "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
    .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

the register was outside the store, ment to pay for specific items at the outdoor grill, not for taking merch from inside to pay out there. even if they told someone else they would pay outside, they could have easily just buggered off in their car. if the rolling till was inside the doors it would be diffrent.
      Siead

Hobby Twitter.

Comment

Your store sells hot food inside right?
        I don't understand why you'd need a separate permit to do so outside, on your own property.
        Also, I don't get why the city would only allow you 4 permits per year, especially if they're making your store pay for it each time.
        Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

I can understand why that would be confusing for them. I don't think you should be too harsh on them, they did come up to pay for their stuff.

Comment

I imagine that the city requires a limited number of permits because while it allows stores to do these things as special occasions, it doesn't wish for them to become a permement feature unless it goes through the proper channels and is set up according to proper health and fire codes.

That is, setting up a BBQ for a day is one thing, but having it on a permament basis is another and would require somewhat more attention (like where are you storing those propane containers etc) 4 is just the magic number that the city managed to pull out of their hat, and is probably more then adequate for the vast majority of businesses.

As for ringing stuff up from the store, it should be obvious the portable register is for the outdoor grill only, but people are dumb. There should however be signs up to that effect "Outside register for grill purposes only, please make all store purchaces at the regular registers" located on the outside register and at the exits

Comment

Quoth infinitemonkies View Post
              Your store sells hot food inside right?
              I don't understand why you'd need a separate permit to do so outside, on your own property.
              Also, I don't get why the city would only allow you 4 permits per year, especially if they're making your store pay for it each time.
              My guess is that the store has a permit as a Retail Food Establishment but no permit for a Temporary Food Establishment for the BBQ. You can be fined $10,000 for each offense, and if the BBQ is done over several days, each day is a separate offense.

As for the customers, they did have the intent to pay for it, so I guess it's not too bad.

Comment

Quoth Hobbs View Post
                My guess is that the store has a permit as a Retail Food Establishment but no permit for a Temporary Food Establishment for the BBQ. You can be fined $10,000 for each offense, and if the BBQ is done over several days, each day is a separate offense.

As for the customers, they did have the intent to pay for it, so I guess it's not too bad.
                DING DING DING! We used to BBQ and have a band on the patio every weekend in the summer, but the city shut it down. No fines, but they told us we would be fined if we didn't get the proper permits next time.

As for the propane question - we use hardwood charcoal. Still, in Texas it's illegal to have a BBQ (even electric) within 30-50 feet (I forget how far exactly) of a building. We BBQ about 10 feet from the outside wall, under the overhang. They could technically pop us for that too, and probably would if the fire marshal showed up.

Comment

We have the portable register also. We usually use it for our floral dept in early spring and fall for the plants we sell outside. we did have one older lady try to do a similar thing but was stopped by LP at the door.

Comment

Working...
                  X