This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowered standards

My general level of disdain for humanity has reached the point that I'm now occasionally impressed when people reach basic levels of adequacy.

For example, when a guest at the hotel is able to correctly write down thier own address on thier registration. It's kind of like walking into your kitchen and seeing a cockroach playing the bag pipes: You still hate them and want to stomp them to death, but damn, that's just something you don't get to see everyday.

[Note: reposted from a comment I made awhile ago:]
    It really amazes me the number of people who don't know their own postal codes.

What amazes me further is there number of people who've lived in this country their whole lives and haven't even figured out the format yet.

For those of you who may not be aware, in Canada the format is 6 digits: letter, number, letter, (space,) number, letter, number.

This is an observation that goes through my mind at least twice a week when guests fill out thier registrations for the hotel:

Ok, I'm holding your I.D. in my hand, so I can see from the expiry date on your driver's license you've been living at the same address for at least 3 years; You've spelled the name of your street wrong, your city wrong (e.g. Toronoto) and your postal code? Well done sir, not a single digit correct. Even the extra 6 digits are also wrong.

However, I award you bonus points for having a postal code that contains a trapezoid, epsilon, and what appears to be a crude hieroglyph of a chicken.
    Something a little different I had tonight:

Middle aged woman checks into the hotel, I note that she filled in her address information correctly. As I'm entering it into our computer system, I further note she's stayed with us 3 times previously, with the exact same correct address information each time....
    However
    She has spelled her own name differently every single time.
    And I don't mean that like it's hard to read her signature, I mean she has printed it clearly in big bold capital letters, but every time the vowels are either different, absent, or added in seemingly at random.
    Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Not spelling your own name correctly? Something that lady has had for 300+ years? Damn, that's a level of fail that I haven't even seen.

I love the hotel stories on this site.
    To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth infinitemonkeys View Post
      Middle aged woman checks into the hotel
      Quoth Mr Hero View Post
      Something that lady has had for 300+ years?
      She's middle aged for a Sequoia tree?
      Carpe Jugulum : Go for the throat.

Comment

Quoth infinitemonkies View Post
        She has spelled her own name differently every single time. And I don't mean that like it's hard to read her signature, I mean she has printed it clearly in big bold capital letters, but every time the vowels are either different, absent, or added in seemingly at random.
        Perhaps she has a foreign name that has to be translated into English or the English alphabet. Just like the Koran is now the Quran, Peking is now Beijing, and Gaddafi's name is spelled 37 different ways.
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

...and i thought i was special because i can spell my last name two different ways...

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
            Something that lady has had for 300+ years?
            Dang, I want you life expectancy...you wanna trade...unless you are a vampire, cause I don't think I could get the hang of the whole blood thing. (or half blood either)
            Tamezin

Comment

Quoth tamezin View Post
              <snip> I don't think I could get the hang of the whole blood thing. (or half blood either)
              It gets easier every time, honestly... The first time's the worst. You do everything wrong...

...not that I'd know, I'm just... assuming, of course! *shifty glance*
              Carpe Jugulum : Go for the throat.

Comment

Quoth Fenrus View Post
                She's middle aged for a Sequoia tree?
                Just have to say, that made me laugh out loud. I'm surprised I didn't bug the neighbors. Heh.

As for the woman... If she can learn to spell her address, I would hope her name would be simpler, even if it was translated from another language. I mean, I'd assume she spells her name more often...

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                  Perhaps she has a foreign name that has to be translated into English or the English alphabet. Just like the Koran is now the Quran, Peking is now Beijing, and Gaddafi's name is spelled 37 different ways.
                  Even if it's technically correct for a name to be translated a multitude of ways into our alphabet, wouldn't a person pick one way and stick with just that?

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

It's kind of like walking into your kitchen and seeing a cockroach playing the bag pipes: You still hate them and want to stomp them to death, but damn, that's just something you don't get to see everyday.
                    And here I'm hoping you mean the cockroach and not the bagpipes?
                    It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

i LOVE bagpipes...i'm weird i guess....i AM part scottish....did you know there's such a thing as electric bagpipes?

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                        Even if it's technically correct for a name to be translated a multitude of ways into our alphabet, wouldn't a person pick one way and stick with just that?

^-.-^
                        Well, any rational sane person would. Are we discussing one of those?
                        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                          And here I'm hoping you mean the cockroach and not the bagpipes?
                          What's the difference between bagpipes and a piano accordion?

The piano accordion sinks quicker.

Comment

I hate having to fill out forms by hand. I have a really bad habit of writing things incorrectly. I'll be thinking of what I need to write, know what I need to write, but my mind will get ahead of my hand causing me to write stuff in the wrong place or skip letters, and sometimes words, entirely. This was a really annoying problem when I was taking calculus in college - had to write a ton of notes very quickly and couldn't always catch my mistakes.

So when I fill out forms at hotels and stuff there's usually at least one part of the form crossed out and re-written. It makes me look like an idiot.

Comment

My general level of disdain for humanity has reached the point that I'm now occasionally impressed when people reach basic levels of adequacy.

For example, when a guest at the hotel is able to correctly write down thier own address on thier registration. It's kind of like walking into your kitchen and seeing a cockroach playing the bag pipes: You still hate them and want to stomp them to death, but damn, that's just something you don't get to see everyday.
                              The above two paragraphs are two of the funniest things I have read on this website. And that is saying something!

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                              Just like the Koran is now the Quran, Peking is now Beijing, and Gaddafi's name is spelled 37 different ways.
                              Only through this website could I find myself on Khaddafi's personal website!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                              Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                              X