This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Natural Disaster! LET'S GO TO SUBWAY!!!"

NOTE: The Subway I work at is in the bottom level of a student centre at the local university.

Alright so a bunch of freshmen are having their orientations, which does kinda suck for them too but even more for those of us stores in the lower level of the student centre because there seems to be this mentality that when we're down in the lower level of the student centre against our will for safety, that we should go EAT!

Yeah! It's 2 PM and Orientation already gave us free food but let's go to SUBWAY!!! Yeah they're still open even when they're trying to make emergency closings. But seriously, why in the HELL would you want to eat SUBWAY when there's a bloody tornado out?

Also I can't expect Freshmen to know this but if this campus floods again, then the tornado shelter of the lower level will be underwater in minutes. Numerous times we've gotten small floods in there from heavy rainfalls on top of people thinking it's fun to flush entire rolls of paper towels down the toilet and running when it floods. So maybe there's a reason WHY the people in Subway and the lobby shop WANT to close as fast as possible at sign of a storm? Yeah, so please don't complain when we're trying to close.
    Kangaroo Squee!

Oh God I feel your pain. Also nice reference of one of my rant titles in your post title. It's like in the midst of a natural disaster, people would rather have sub-standard preservative laden sandwiches than get to safety.

Lately we've been getting a slew of "Clock Beaters" at mine. Words cannot describe how much I despise Clock Beaters.
    My Fur Affinity Page:https://www.furaffinity.net/user/thetigress/
    My Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/profile/thetigress

Comment

Not long ago we have a very severe storm here. Wind, rain, hail, localized tornadoes, the whole gamut.

It amazed me how many people braved these insane conditions to come into my store to pick up their video games.
      "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

I just yad to say it, Tigress. The same thing apparently happened last year when a tornado hit the county and everyone decided...LET'S GO TO SUBWAY!!!

Dude the Tuscan Chicken is good but not THAT good.
        Kangaroo Squee!

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
          Not long ago we have a very severe storm here. Wind, rain, hail, localized tornadoes, the whole gamut.

It amazed me how many people braved these insane conditions to come into my store to pick up their video games.
          We had a severe storm system hit us Wednesday before last that had ferocious winds (over 50 mph,) heavy rain that came down so fast, the storm drains were spitting it back out as fast as it was running in and hail in some areas. Heard the next morning that there were two storm systems traveling back to back and when the first one stalled over Greensboro, the second one collided into it.

And 5,000 people were without electricity (when I finally made it home that evening around 6:40, my neighborhood was dark too.)

The Kitty didn't lose power, but while I was standing inside waiting for Mom after working 12 hours (ad change day and Scan Analyst was on vacation) we had people POURING into the store like there was no tomorrow.

Why, people? It's raining so hard you can't see anything but a wall of water and the wind is so strong it'll almost knock you down. All I wanted to do was to get the hell out of there and go HOME.
          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I experienced this same phenomenon when I was working for ...er, Daddy Jim's, the pizza place.

Whenever the weather took a turn for the worse, walk-in business skyrocketed. As in, 5 people all waiting in our tiny little front lobby at once as opposed to, say, 5 walk-ins spread out over an 8-hour shift. Note - no tables at which to eat, so they were all there to grab-n-go.

What is it about torrential downpours that makes people want to go out INTO them?!
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Digitalpotato View Post
              Dude the Tuscan Chicken is good but not THAT good.
              "Hey, you know what's better than the Tuscan Chicken? Life!"

(Wow, that's something I never thought I'd do... paraphrase an online movie review...)
              "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                I experienced this same phenomenon when I was working for ...er, Daddy Jim's, the pizza place.

Whenever the weather took a turn for the worse, walk-in business skyrocketed. As in, 5 people all waiting in our tiny little front lobby at once as opposed to, say, 5 walk-ins spread out over an 8-hour shift. Note - no tables at which to eat, so they were all there to grab-n-go.

What is it about torrential downpours that makes people want to go out INTO them?!
                try snow storm, blizzard, rain storm, tornado, hail, heavy down pour. our delivery stats go WAAAAYYYYY up during crappy weather. but then again this is the land of 2 raindrops or 2 snowflakes and the sheeple panic.
                AHHHHHHH IT IS SNOWING MUST HAVE PIIIZZZZZZAAAAAAAAA
                I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

I can't imagine going out places with torrential rains and strong winds, let alone a tornado (which I am terrified of by the way) but I DO enjoy standing outside in the rain when it's raining buckets outside, as long as there's no lightning

semi-related though, it was pouring so hard you could barely see three inches in front of you and there was a group of people standing in front of the closed gates of our community pool whining about how the pool was closed and they wanted "to swiiiiiimmmm" whine whine complain bitch
                  "If looks could really kill, my occupation would be staring" Brand New - I Will Play My Game Beneath The Spin Light

Comment

The thing that allways gets me is that if it "looks like it will storm", there is no one at the store. It's a ghost town.

But when the rain comes, here they come.

But it's not people looking for emergency supplies. No, it's people who are just looking, it's people who are thinking about painting their closet and it's people who are wondering what kind of christmas trees we will get in 6 months from now.

"First time I ever seen a chainsaw go down anybody's britches,"

Comment

You wouldn't happen to be in FoCo, would you? Tornado warning the other day and all that? Yeah, I get this at my job also (ISP tech support), people want their internet even with power outages from storms and tornados nearby *eyeroll*

Comment

SOMEONE ELSE IN FOCO?! Hell has officially frozen over...it's rare enough to find someone who even LIVES in colorado on the internet let alone FoCo.
                        Kangaroo Squee!

Comment

It's brilliant when they go out in hellish weather.
                          I've seen people go out in knee high snow, slush turning to ice, bad winds, heavy snow just because they didn't want to cook. I didn't want to work but it's fools like them who force us to stay just so the company can make a few extra dollars. Yeah, getting home was even more of a nightmare than getting there. won't even start on jerkface management.

Or how about "hey there's a tornado out there. maybe we can get a window seat and get a good view." That's great! While you're out there finding the fastest way to see the Wizard, I will be safe in the kitchen because I don't feel like going to Oz.
                          Why?! In bad weather I stay home. I'd have to be dead or dying to leave. Home is comfy. I have food, tv, books, and blankets. Restaurants will not give me a tv or blankets.
                          "Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your software."

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                            It was a dark and stormy night when we decided to order pizza to enjoy with a visiting friend. I called up the local Pizza Shack to order a pizza for delivery. They said they weren't delivering because of the weather. So I ordered it for pickup. All of us got in the car (no one left at home) and drove over to the store to pick it up. They couldn't find my order, so we waited while they remade it, got it and returned home. Only to find a note from the pizza delivery driver about an unsuccessful delivery attempt.
                            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                              Only to find a note from the pizza delivery driver about an unsuccessful delivery attempt.
                              Oof...It looks like the order-taker forgot to switch it from Delivery to Pick-up...Most pizza places have Delivery as the default. Le ArGH. Granted, it usually takes a helluvalot for a pizza joint to close down delivery, even temporarily o_O

SilverAriana - Welcome to CS!
                              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                              X