Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I cringe every time someone wants a Party Sub.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atleast you can put out that clear box. At my cage our tip jars are behind us and out of customer view. No idea why though.

Comment

This reminds me of working at Wonderful Pizza sometimes when we'd get giant orders to make, like 20+ pizzas at a time for parties or conferences. Making said order would tie up the pizza maker, usually me, for ages; and there'd, of course, be SCs whining about having to wait til theirs could be made, cuz large orders would take presidence.

Oh yeah, and the driver/s who took said orders to the addresses would often not be tipped at all, or would get something measily like £1. When it's something that takes up a large slice of someone's time, both making, slicing and delivering, it's only good manners to show that you appreciate the hard work that's gone into it. We at the store never expected tips, but people could at least say please and thank you, and possibly call in later and say how much they appreciated the effort we'd made; yes, some people did do that. Stiffing the driver and, in one case, signing the slip and slamming the door in his face after grabbing the pizzas, just shows an SC up as having zero manners and class.
      People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
      My DeviantArt.

Comment

I'm not getting that, either, I have to admit. If someone is paid by the hour for making sandwiches, why should it make a difference for them if those sandwiches are for one or for twenty customers? Meaning, why should I as a customer suddenly tip, just because I want more sandwiches? If I don't tip for one sandwich, then I don't tip for three, or five, or twenty.

Now, delivery is a different thing; a delivery driver definitely deserves a tip, especially if a larger order takes up more time and thus prevents him from delivering to other customers where he might have gotten more in tips. But for someone who isn't normally tipped for the job? Why?

I did order a party platter at Subway, once. And I did tip for it, but that was special circumstances. It was my birthday a few years ago, and a couple of friends had announced during the day that they'd be coming over in the evening. So, I figured I'd drop by Subway after work and pick up a platter for dinner. What I didn't know about was the "please order one day in advance" rule (never ordered that before). Still, the manager at the second Subway I visited agreed to do the order; took her less than an hour, too, so I dropped an extra 10 Euro as tip. They went above and beyond what they "had" to do, and I was okay tipping them for that.

But for a regularly placed order? That doesn't need delivery? Wouldn't know why.
        You gotta polish a memory like a stone. Chip off the parts that remind you it was just a game. Work it until it's indistinguishable from any other memory.

Comment

It wouldn't have occured for me to tip either.

Now delivery is something else. Anytime someone delivers or waits on a table I'm sitting at, I'll tip. But if I order something off the menu from what is essentially a fast food type place and get it to go? I pretty much never tip. Also if I order it to eat in, I don't tip either because I bus my own table and leave it cleaner than when I sat down.

Comment

I probably would have tipped on the $930 order, mainly because I know what it's like to feel overworked and underpaid, especially in food service or retail.

But for a regular footlong or whatever? No I don't bother.

My first regular job was working at Tim Hortons (Canadian donut shop) and I usually made about $3 or so in tips per shift there. Before then, I never knew people tipped in places like that, but since that time I've noticed many food places that aren't sit down (coffee shops, subways, mall food court places) will have tip jars at the counter, typically just in the form of a styrofoam cup that says TIPS.
            "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Working...
            X