This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• excuse me for asking

I was at work today, with fewer problems then normal, when this "gentleman" started putting his groceries on the belt.

He first put milk, juice, and cereal-in a group- on the belt. I asked if it was a WIC order. He IMMEDIATELY got pissed, saying "Why do you need to know?"

I told him the truth--if it is, I need to ring it up differently (enter in dates, etc.).

His response? "Do I LOOK LIKE I would use WIC?!?!"

O...K...

I can see his point...but how was I to know that he wasn't a proxy for someone?

A simple "no" would have sufficed.

He was a jerk to our new bagger, too.

Then, just before I was supposed to leave, I get this cranky old man through my line. He starts having a fit, because he thought that the yogurt he was buying was on sale.

OK, this happens more often then it should. The tags in the dairy cases are *above* the product. Don't ask me why. I explained, and we cancelled the order so he could go get the stuff that was on sale.

Turns out, he was yelling at our new bagger (poor guy!) because "it's all too confusing!!!" the entire time they were back there, and then he came back up, and bitched at me again. And he uttered the lie of "I'm never coming here again!!!!"

Dude, I admit the signage can be confusing. That is why I would encourage you to read the signs *carefully* and make sure you are getting the correct product.

One more peice of advice:

Don't bitch to the cashiers, stockers, and/or baggers about signage. Take it up with management.

Dick.
    I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

First story: And if he HAD been getting the stuff and using a WIC check, if you dared to ring it up without asking he would've had a fit.

Once upon a time, a customer warmed my cynical little heart by telling me that her stuff WASN'T WIC ("this time"), because she had grouped the stuff as if it was. {Maybe you just had to be there.}

Second one-- I would sell what's left of my soul to have the dairy department's tags done right all the time. There's a reason why I don't buy dairy products there.

And I really hate with the customers take it out on us. I swear one of these times I'm going to go off and say, "That is NOT my department. All I do is work here, at the registers. Every once in a while I get to straighten an aisle (or two, three or even four!) but I NEVER set foot in the dairy department. Please talk to a manager about that, because there is nothing I can do but commiserate with you."
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Even Scotch says that the tags are confusing, but I guess Big Papa won't let him fix it.

Comment

Just as a precaution, I never ask someone if they're buying WIC items. I either let them tell me on their own or wait until they insert their card. Some people just go ahead and buy the items for the hell of it, I don't know why.
        http://www.customerssuck.com/?p=7499
        Now appearing in comic form!

Comment

I think I would have just deadpanned "WIC customers don't look any different than any other customers, sir."

I mean, I dunno if they do or not, but hopefully, it would make him feel like an asshole.

Comment

Quoth GroceryWench View Post
            Just as a precaution, I never ask someone if they're buying WIC items. I either let them tell me on their own or wait until they insert their card. Some people just go ahead and buy the items for the hell of it, I don't know why.
            We don't have WIC cards here. We still use the paper things. We have to know whether it's WIC or not, to make things easier on everyone. No one likes having to cancel an order just to have to rering everything.

I'm not saying that he shouldn't have bought what he did. It's just the fact that he grouped them together like it *was* for WIC.

Comment

Thankfully, TX has EBT cards for WIC now. And the registers figure out what does and doesn't qualify - they slide their Lonestar card, I hit "Electronic Foodstamps" on the register, and it bills the card for whatever qualifies. They pay the remainder with another form of payment or take the non-qualifying items off.

Comment

Quoth Becks View Post
                I swear one of these times I'm going to go off and say, "That is NOT my department. All I do is work here, at the registers. "
                That's EXACTLY what I do say! I work in the deli and when someone starts bitching to me about other departments, my standard spiel is "I have nothing to do with the <other> department; they dont let me out from behind this case very often!" har har har. The trick is to say is with a great disarming smile. But of course I've had those moments when I do lose it and say "I JUST work here, I have NOTHING to do with the way things are run. Would you like me to get you a manager?"
                When all else fails, pass the buck to someone who DOES get paid to deal with the shit..hehe

Comment

Working...
                X