This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morning Observation

At my store, we open at 0830. I usually get there 15 minutes earlier than that, and do some pre-opening things.

I cannot fathom people sometimes. It is clearly posted that we open at 0830, but people will walk up and yank the door trying to open it - there are no displays outside, the store is dark, etc.

Then, if I forget to flip the Open/Closed sign to Open, some idiot will pop his head in and say, are you open? The displays are all out, the door is wide open and I am here smiling at you and you ask that? If i wasn't open, for security reasons I sure as shoot would not have the door open!

I'm sure I bring this on myself!

Oh, and people I know you desperately need [item] but unfortunately we are in the middle of processing our stock and we cannot look through the items to find the particular one you are looking for as it will ruin everything! So don't act like a douchewaffle and just wait ! I will call you when the [item] is ready to go!

And I thought my old liquor store customers were bad - NZ and US customers have way diff entitlement perceptions.... if that makes sense

On the plus side, asking if you're open means some of them are at least reading the sign.
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

reading is one step below using actual logic...

they're getting smarter...i don't know if it's a good thing or bad...what if they're like zombies...smart zombies are worse than dumb ones!!

Comment

Ugh, it's the worst when people tug on the locked door. Then they stand there and stare at you like you're going to come open the door for them even though the store is OBVIOUSLY not opened yet.

It's true, many people actually do read... but like WhiteRose said, they still fail to use any logic! One day I opened the store (doors all open, lights on, me at counter, etc) but I accidentally forgot to flip the sign to "Open, Please Come In." That day was SLOW. Later, I had people asking me, "Why were you closed on <day>?"
        !
        "For truth is always strange; stranger than fiction." -- Lord Byron

Comment

Quoth Mnemjian View Post
          Ugh, it's the worst when people tug on the locked door. Then they stand there and stare at you like you're going to come open the door for them even though the store is OBVIOUSLY not opened yet.

It's true, many people actually do read... but like WhiteRose said, they still fail to use any logic! One day I opened the store (doors all open, lights on, me at counter, etc) but I accidentally forgot to flip the sign to "Open, Please Come In." That day was SLOW. Later, I had people asking me, "Why were you closed on <day>?"
          Well in that case, if a store still had "CLOSED" up on the door, even with all the displays out, lights on, etc.... Then I would assume it was closed. They could be closed because someone is out for lunch, or had an emergency, or maybe they're doing inventory or any other reasons to have activity going on in store and still be closed.

Comment

Quoth Jetfire View Post
            Well in that case, if a store still had "CLOSED" up on the door, even with all the displays out, lights on, etc.... Then I would assume it was closed. They could be closed because someone is out for lunch, or had an emergency, or maybe they're doing inventory or any other reasons to have activity going on in store and still be closed.
            Just the way our store is, you can clearly see the customers and the register with a person behind it working from the street, so it's a little odd. But that's very polite to assume that the store is actually closed
            !
            "For truth is always strange; stranger than fiction." -- Lord Byron

Comment

I had to endure something like that nearly every time I opened the cafe I used to work at. Sometimes people would show up 90 minutes before opening (there was a lot of prep to do, I was usually there 2 hours early) banging on the doors and screaming. It turned out that one of the other people that opened on the days that I didn't had started letting in customers in as soon as she got to the shop, which could be as early as 8:30AM (we open at 11:30) You can probably see where this is going. If you guessed 'tell the EWs to come back on time', sadly you're wrong... I got asked to come in 2-3 hours EARLIER (unpaid, of course) to cater to the EWs that got 'accustomed' to the early opening. Oh, and the hours posted on the door never changed..

Comment

My boss K at the pool store is awful when it comes to the early birds who want in, especially on Sundays when we have our weekly meetings. We don't really have an office to meet in, so we lounge on the patio furtniture and hold our meeting.

We'll get customers banging on the windows about 40 mins. before we open. We'll just make ourselves more comfortable and watch then swell like bullfrogs.

During the week, if we're doing opening chores and people start yanking on the locked doors, he goes and grabs his coffee, settles into a chaise lounge on display, and relaxes. It's one of his favorite customer-yankers.

Comment

When I worked at the coin shop, we had a large red sign painted on the window next to the front door with the store hours written in 2" high white letters and numbers. On either side of the door were very visible red and white "Open / Closed" signs, and there was a large neon "Open" sign above the door. On the painted hours sign, it was clearly stated that we were closed Sunday and Monday.

Mondays we were in the store cleaning, restocking and receiving shipments. And despite both signs being turned to "Closed", the neon sign being off and the door magnetically locked, people would come up all day and yank on the locked door and bang on the windows, demanding we let them in.

Boss even had to repair the door after some moron twisted the hinges from yanking on the magnetically locked door!

Read and follow the signs, people. They're not there to look pretty!
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth WhiteRose View Post
                    what if they're like zombies...smart zombies are worse than dumb ones!!

Are there any really good zombies? Well except for "bud" he was cool-and didn't eat anyone, oh and Julie she didn't eat anyone still living-they were both "smart zombies"

Let's see if anyone can name the movies.......
                    Dawn of the dead
                    Return of the living dead 3
                    Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth Nashida View Post
                      My boss K at the pool store is awful when it comes to the early birds who want in, especially on Sundays when we have our weekly meetings.

he goes and grabs his coffee, settles into a chaise lounge on display, and relaxes. It's one of his favorite customer-yankers.
                      He doesn't sound awful. He sounds WONDERFUL. More bosses should treat EWs this way.

Comment

Quoth TeaHouseLackey View Post
                        I had to endure something like that nearly every time I opened the cafe I use. I got asked to come in 2-3 hours EARLIER (unpaid, of course) to cater to the EWs that got 'accustomed' to the early opening.
                        Two things --

Isn't that a labor law violation?

Isn't letting people in before you're ready to open a major security risk?
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                          Isn't that a labor law violation?
                          Isn't letting people in before you're ready to open a major security risk?
                          I don't know about 'labor violation', but it was definately a 'you'll do it if you want to keep you job' sort of deal. It was also more than a security risk. This breed of EW would also sneak in their pets (usually those toy dogs, stuffed in their jacket) and let them loose inside, a few would try to smoke (banned city-wide), and of course, ALL would complain that they had to wait to get their food/drinks. I guess they expected the magical breakfast elves to have prepared everything over night so all I had to do when I showed up was throw open the door and begin service.

Either way, I quit within 2 weeks of this

Comment

Good for you, that was the correct answer I know forcing somebody to work without pay is an egregious violation here (I've been in such a situation, myself). If you were still at that place, I would have recommended checking with your state's Labor Board.
                            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                            X