This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You bought it, and you still broke it

I work at a science center gift shop, and one of our most popular items is a handboiler. Problem is, handboilers are made of very thin glass (so that the heat from your hand can make the liquid boil), so they shatter very easily. When I first started my job, we had countless people buy them and then come back in an hour later saying that when they opened the box, the handboiler was broken (yea right, we check them all when the shipments come in and throw out the broken ones). So, what did I do? I started opening the boxes and checking the handboilers in front of the customer the moment they brought them to my register for purchase. This way, they can't come back later and say it was broken when they opened the box. And yet, despite the blatantly obvious checking, I still have this conversation more times than I think is reasonable:

SC: I demand a refund on this handboiler!
    Me: What seems to be the problem with it?
    SC: When I opened the box, it was broken!
    Me: Sir, when you brought the box to me, I checked the handboiler right in front of you, and it was not broken. I put it back in the box, and handed it to you in a separate bag. I'm afraid I can't give a refund or replacement for any breaks that happen after your purchase.

Some people still fight this, but I'm firm - if I did everything responsibly, and it was not broken when they bought it, then if it breaks later it's because of something they did. We shouldn't have to refund for their own careless actions.

Yeah, that is certainly their fault, though they probably don't understand just HOW delicate they are. Maybe emphasize that when they buy it.

They might stop to think that if they were nice and admitted they messed-up, or were upset for their own carelessness, that maybe you'd offer to sell them another one at a discount?

Nobody wants to own-up for their behavior!
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

I used to work in a collectables store with many delicate items and we had the same problem all the time. Once when I was working, a guy brought in a $10 piece of junk item and claimed it was broken in the box. I reminded him that I had checked it in front of him the day before and it was not broken. The guy got irate and started swearing at me, demanding to see a manager. The owner of the store happened to be there at the time and came out to see what the fuss was about. He told the guy tough cookies, you broke it, get out. The guy yelled something like, "I'm never going to come back to this store again!" Store owner said, in the most sarcastic voice ever, "Oooh, yeah. I'm going to close my doors over your little $10 sale! Get the hell out of here!"

I loved that store owner.
      "Thank God for the idiots: but for them, the rest of us could not succeed." ~Mark Twain

Comment

We wrap plates, glasses, and other breakable items in tissue paper. Now this of course does not guarantee that the item will not break.
        Customers often come back later in the day and say that the item broke because the cashier did not wrap it properly. Most times I return it but I tell them that they are responsible for handling the items correctly after they leave the store.

One time my manager was sitting outside and a customer was outside showing her friend this cute little vase that she bought and she dropped it and it broke. She went back inside saying that we wrapped it wrong and it broke in the bag. The manager said she was not returning it cause she just saw her unwrap it and show it to her friend.

Comment

A handboiler is full of liquid, yes? So wouldn't you notice the fluid leaking out the bottom of a soaked box?
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Oh nifty item.

I want one now. If I bought one, it wouldn't make it out the door without being broken. And then I'd be very sad.
            you are = you're. not "your".

Comment

Handboilers were my favorite toy as a kid...

And even though they're delicate, it takes a lot of battering to break them. :\ Or did, back in that.
              "Do not quibble with me over apostrophes. I have my shit together when it comes to apostrophes." - BookBint

Comment

Working...
              X