This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avada Kedavra!

Yesterday I went to Hot Topic at the mall and bought a necklace with the Hogwarts insignia on it. It looks awesome, and I wore it to work today.

I got mostly compliments on it, from HP fans and people who thought it was my family crest.

But then one guy came through and asked about the necklace, and I told him it was from HP. He started on his whole spiel about 'HP is evil!' and I, who think these people are total whackjobs, told him 'Sir, HP is not evil, it is a book, and secondly, they celebrate Christmas and Easter in the book, there is no devil in the book, and you are overreacting.'

He marched off and went to my manager and accused them of hiring non-Christian workers. (I am a Christian, BTW.) After he left, my manager was like, 'Man, what was his problem?'

*sigh* People.
    http://www.customerssuck.com/?p=7499
    Now appearing in comic form!

Too funny. Kinda like when I wear my HIM band t-shirts and my nutso coworkers think that the band symbol is a pentogram!
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

In regards to hiring non-Christian workers, the appropriate answer is 'Yes? There's this whole section in the First Amendment about freedom of religion. Deal.'

Comment

Quoth GroceryWench View Post
        He marched off and went to my manager and accused them of hiring non-Christian workers. (I am a Christian, BTW.) After he left, my manager was like, 'Man, what was his problem?'

*sigh* People.
        Where the hell do you work? (No offense). I mean, these guys are totally understandable if you work at the Christian Children's Outlet, but if you work at, say, a sporting goods store, telling him to suck it might be a little more to my liking. I assume you work at a grocery store.

Generally speaking stores that don't hire non-Christians have that whole "lawsuit" thing to think about, but hey. Why bother when it's far, far too easy to describe a series about a predestined battle between good and evil and the willingness to do the right thing.

Of course, the whole "magic" thing is crazy, right? Everyone knows that the Five Laws of Transformation are limited solely to Wal-Mart.

Comment

*fangirls* Hot Topic has HP stuff back in?!

*squee*
          "Do not quibble with me over apostrophes. I have my shit together when it comes to apostrophes." - BookBint

Comment

I have a t-shirt with the Slytherin crest on it that I ordered online from Hot Topic, the only place to my knowledge that carries such merchandise. I once had this weirdo come up to me and accuse me of being a devil worshipper. O_o

I expect such things when I'm wearing Alice Cooper or Marilyn Manson t-shirts; it's a bit unsettling when wearing a HP t-shirt. o.o
            People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
            My DeviantArt.

Comment

Uggh. When HP first came-out there were so many wackjobs going-on about how it's evil! I watched a movie about a children's christian camp and they did a speech to the kiddies about the evils of HP and how wizards and witches etc. cannot be good. Then there are the schools that actually banned the books.

Funny, vampire and werewolf books have been out forever, and in a lot of those cases the characters get their powers from a curse or a deal with the devil. Yet nobody bothers with those. Guess it's just because HP is so popular and thus made wizardy and witchcraft popular.
              "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

The sad thing is, the main story of the books is friendship, teamwork and giving things up so that others can do the right thing, exactly the qualities we want in our young people, yet these idiots can't look past the wizardry aspect and see these highly positive influences.

A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

There was a customer yesterday with a shirt that said "Muggle" on the front. I thought it was classy, and told him so. We then had a short conversation about how the shirt itself was a little more subtle, but wearing it with an HP totebag would've been a bit much.

It was a fun, geeky moment.

He was a cool guy, too. Still nice and friendly after the barista messed up his drink and had to redo it.

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
                    The sad thing is, the main story of the books is friendship, teamwork and giving things up so that others can do the right thing, exactly the qualities we want in our young people, yet these idiots can't look past the wizardry aspect and see these highly positive influences.

Plus it gets them to READ.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                      .... I once had this weirdo come up to me and accuse me of being a devil worshipper. O_o
                      The appropriate response to that one is, "Why yes, as a matter of fact I am, so don't piss me off or I'll put you in my prayers."
                      Hmm...more zombies than usual...

Comment

http://www.shortpacked.com/d/20051212.html
                        Mod Edit
                        Description of link - Satirical cartoon on HP v. Narnia

Please provide a description for all links!
                        Last edited by crazylegs; 06-30-2009, 03:17 PM. Reason: Description of link, it's in the rules y'know!
                        "First time I ever seen a chainsaw go down anybody's britches,"

Comment

wanna have some fun? Get someone to over-react for the HP book, or garb you are reading/wearing once they comment, point out the deck of tarot cards you have on the desk/are carrying. (happened to me at BN)
                          Crono: sounds like the machine update became a clusterf*ck..
                          pedersen: No. A clusterf*ck involves at least one pleasurable thing (the orgasm at the end).

Comment

What's wrong with Hewlett-Packard? Yes, the Reverse Polish Notation can be a bit tricky...but evil...nah. Now, I don't really like the pricing on the inks for my printer, but that's hardly evil. And any of the computers I've had from them have worked like a charm (except for the one where the hard drive crashed but a quick call and I got in the shop and back in no time)...evil though? Nah.

Comment

A few years ago (when HP was about the third or fourth book) a local church held a service for children (not so rare) entirely in HP-theme. All kids were invited to come dressed up like wizards or witches while the preacher compared the trails of HP to those of Jesus. The kids enjoyed it greatly and the only fanatics protesting were from some silly group called "Bible and Education". The only thing the interviewed fanatic could muster up as reason was "Because it's about the supernatural and, and, and our children are already hearing voices"

Comment

Working...
                              X