Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uh...isn't the Bible about the supernatural?

Comment

I find the timing of this topic impecable. Yesterday I started rereading the saga. I had to rebuy Chamber of Secrets. My stop at the mall was quite sad. I'm posting in sightings after this.
      To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!

SPOILERS!!!!!!

The funniest part is that in the end, Our Hero sacrifices himself for love of family and friends...to give them protection from evil!
        What does tHAT remind you of...?
        I no longer fear HELL.
        I work in RETAIL.

Comment

Quoth mikoyan29 View Post
          What's wrong with Hewlett-Packard? Yes, the Reverse Polish Notation can be a bit tricky...but evil...nah. Now, I don't really like the pricing on the inks for my printer, but that's hardly evil. And any of the computers I've had from them have worked like a charm (except for the one where the hard drive crashed but a quick call and I got in the shop and back in no time)...evil though? Nah.
          Lol! I never thought about that...and my hubby works for HP!
          I no longer fear HELL.
          I work in RETAIL.

Comment

Quoth mikoyan29 View Post
            What's wrong with Hewlett-Packard? Yes, the Reverse Polish Notation can be a bit tricky...but evil...nah. Now, I don't really like the pricing on the inks for my printer, but that's hardly evil. And any of the computers I've had from them have worked like a charm (except for the one where the hard drive crashed but a quick call and I got in the shop and back in no time)...evil though? Nah.

Quoth Mister View Post
            The only thing the interviewed fanatic could muster up as reason was "Because it's about the supernatural and, and, and our children are already hearing voices"
            I think they got other problems besides Harry Potter!

Wonder what they'd think of some of the pictures I've seen of Daniel Radcliffe from "Equus"?
            It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

I was working at a calendar club/ christmas corner a few years ago, my employers refused to sell the HP christmas ornaments because they were evil, but they were quite fine with having a huge wall of all the skin calendars. Kind of struck me as funny.
              It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. -Office space

Comment

Someone needs to ask these morons what chapter that spell teaching is going on in, and also what part of the book the satanism is going on in.

I mean, surely if these people are willing to go out and accost people about this book, then they must have read it and as such know what they are talking about. Right?

Right?

Comment

Quoth patiokitty View Post
                  The year the second Harry Potter movie came out a group of us decided to make costumes...well, I'm a huge fan of Snape so I decided that I was going as him to the premiere in the next town over. Anyhow, I was stuck for a Halloween costume that year and decided to use the same robes and wig for work.
                  Bet you looked cool; I dressed up as Bellatrix Lestrange one Halloween, the one after the OOTP movie came out. XD However, I got nothing but compliments for my utter coolness.
                  People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                  My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                    Bet you looked cool; I dressed up as Bellatrix Lestrange one Halloween, the one after the OOTP movie came out. XD However, I got nothing but compliments for my utter coolness.
                    I had family members rant and rave about how Harry Potter promoted witchcraft and sorcery and craaaayzieness when it first came out.

My response: "What is this magical device you use to communicate with upon the wall? VOICES SPEAK FROM IT! IT MUST BE WITCHCRAFT!"

"You are able to communicate with the animals. You think thou knowest the ways of the God? THOU MUST BE A WITCH!"

And so on, and so forth. The most fun of it for me was getting one of them to admit that Christmas was a revamping of the winter solstice by the early Christian church to shift from pagan beliefs to a Christian belief system, and then saying, "So, in essence, it's evil because you stole the holiday and belief system but the original version is way not okay, ergo anyone writing a FANTASY book is an evil bastard, huh?"

"Yes."

"So, enjoying that Robert Jordan novel?"

".....er...."

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
                      Too funny. Kinda like when I wear my HIM band t-shirts and my nutso coworkers think that the band symbol is a pentogram!
                      i always thought the issue was that their name was originally "His Infernal Majesty"... ?

i miss my old hogwartz tshirt. i think it's in my storage unit
                      it was from back when the WB store had the contract to carry all the merchandise

Comment

Why do people think Harry Potter books have anything to do with religion? I've never understood that. They think it's a satanic bible of some kind. It's just FICTION. Christians can READ IT and they will not BURST INTO FLAMES. Satan isn't even mentioned in them, for crying out loud.
                        It is a terrible thing to see and have no vision.
                        -Helen Keller

I got this av from Court Records, made by Croik!

Comment

Quoth MoxisPilot View Post
                          *fangirls* Hot Topic has HP stuff back in?!
                          Movie's out next... er, this month, so I'm sure all the shops are stocking up on the tie-in merchandise.
                          Quoth Pagan View Post
                          Wonder what they'd think of some of the pictures I've seen of Daniel Radcliffe from "Equus"?
                          Would those be the actual promo shots or the rather generously photoshopped ones?

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

All this talk about Harry Potter and no one has mentioned Star Wars. Of course noboby thinks Star Wars is evil, but do consider this comparison:

Star Wars A New Hope Harry Potter and the Philospher’s Stone: synopsis

Luke Skywalker Harry Potter is an orphan living with his aunt and uncle in the remote wildness of Tatooine suburbia.

He is rescued from aliens muggles by wise, bearded Ben Kenobi Hagrid, who turns out to be a Jedi knight wizard.

Ben Hagrid reveals to Luke Harry that Luke’s Harry’s father was also a Jedi Knight wizard, and was the best pilot Quidditch player he had ever seen.

Luke Harry is also instructed in how to use the Jedi light sabre magic wand as he too trains to become a Jedi wizard.

Luke Harry has many adventures in the galaxy Hogwarts and makes new friends such as Han Solo Ron and Princess Leia Hermione.

In the course of these adventures he establishes himself as a top X-wing pilot Quidditch seeker in the battle of the Death Star Quidditch match, making the direct hit catch that secures the Rebels’ Gryffindor’s victory against the forces of evil Slytherin.

Luke Harry also sees off the threat of Darth Vader Lord Voldemort, who we know murdered his aunt and uncle parents.

In the finale, Luke Harry and his new friends receive medals of honor win the Quidditch cup.

All of this is set to a music score by John Williams.
                            Last edited by Ironclad Alibi; 07-02-2009, 02:17 AM. Reason: small corrections
                            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

IA, nicely done showing the parallels between SW and HP.

Another book that often got labeled as "evil" was The Lord of the Rings. I find that funny now, because in high school I once did a paper showing the similarities between Frodo and Jesus. The best part? There is a LOT of literature out there on that very similarity.

Quoth GroceryWench View Post
                              He marched off and went to my manager and accused them of hiring non-Christian workers.
                              I would love it if some idiot customer did that with my boss.

SC: "You hire non-Christians!"
                              BOSS MAN: "Sir, calm down. What are you talking about?"
                              SC: "Him! He is non-Christian!"
                              BOSS MAN: "Oh, Jester? Oh yes, he's Jewish. Do you have some problem with that?"
                              SC: (realizing how he has trapped himself) "Er....um.....ah.....well.....er...."
                              BOSS MAN: "Jester does a fine job, and frankly, we don't hire people based on their religion, but their ability to do their job."

That might not be exactly how it would go, but it would be something like that, I am sure. My Boss does not suffer fools. At. All.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                              Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
                                Too funny. Kinda like when I wear my HIM band t-shirts and my nutso coworkers think that the band symbol is a pentogram!
                                Snicker, I always get double-takes when I wear my Tenacious D hoodie. It's brown, has the number "666" in Jersey-style, and the team name is The Cleveland Steamers.

I need to find the jersey version, instead of just the hoodie!
                                "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
                                "What IS fun to fight through?"
                                "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

Working...
                                X