This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The gate is there for a reason

Our store owner remodeled right before April 1st when the government added a big tax to all roll-your-own tobacco. We now have to get everything tobacco related for the customer. The counter was moved and a gate added. All tobacco stuff is behind the counter and gate. Soda, potato chips, and candy are were customers can help theirselves.

Today its really busy because its social security check day. This guy walks in cut through the line of people and gets to the gate. He yells that he needs cigarette tubes and asks if he can get them. I tell him to get in line and I'll get them for him. He pushes the gate open and I tell him "sir you can't go back there, I will get them for you". He ignores me and starts pickingup boxes of tubes and looking at them. I again tell him he has to come back to the other side of the counter and I'll get him his tubes.

The lady I am waiting on asks for some tubes and I walk over and just as he is turning aroun carrying a box of tubes I snach it from him and put it back and grab hers. I look at him and told him "Get in line and I'LL get the tubes!". He gave me the CBF look and got in line.

He gets up to me and I ask him what kind, and name the ones he had in his hand. He refused to answer and since he was the only person waiting to pay I just grabbed them and told him the price and he paid. If there was someone behind him I would have just asked them what they needed and ignored him.

My boss/theo wner was in the back and could hear everything but never said a word. There is a sign on the gate that says "STOP" and the owner keeps saying he is getting a sign that says Employees Only but he keeps forgetting to buy one. I am tempted to buy one but I doubt it will stop people from going past the gate.

wait.... your relying on people like him to read a silly little sign?..... :P
    "On a scale of 1 to banana, whats your favourite colour of the alphabet?"
    Regards, Lord Baron Darth von Vaderham, esq. Middle brother to mharbourgirl & Squeaksmyalias

Comment

Whats bad is they will read it.. Oh it says STOP!.. But i only need that right there and goto open the gate. I tell them to please tell me and I'll get it. Pisses the off...

Comment

No...here is when you put at least 2-3 of those bolt type locks on the inside of said gate, keeping at least one locked at all times, and switching up the order in which you lock them at least once per week.

For example:

Week 1: Lock A lock and leave B & C alone
        Week 2: Lock A and B lock and don't lock C
        Week 3: lock B lock, leaving A & C unlocked....so on and so forth.
        Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

Heh...At the c-store, we have no gate. At the end of the counter is our ice cream case, sitting perpendicular to the counter. People just walk around it, behind the counter, and grab their chew & cigars. It irritates me to no end, but the manager just says "don't say too much too them about i" so it leaves me gritting my teeth and cursing to myself!
          "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Quoth ralerin View Post
            Week 1: Lock A lock and leave B & C alone
            Week 2: Lock A and B lock and don't lock C
            Week 3: lock B lock, leaving A & C unlocked....so on and so forth.
            Forgive my ignorance, but what's the purpose of changing the pattern up?

Comment

to keep the ID10Tmanagers out? after all, they won't be able to memorize the pattern each week. That's why they are managers. )& the rare good manager will get a kick out of watching the others struggle to figure it out.)

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
                to keep the ID10Tmanagers out? after all, they won't be able to memorize the pattern each week. That's why they are managers. )& the rare good manager will get a kick out of watching the others struggle to figure it out.)
                Or you'll have those customers who think that doing things like going behind the counter to chew out a person, or following them to the employees only area of the store is a greeeeeeeat idea, keeps them from figuring it out.

Had the same recomendation doing security, vary up either your patrol time, patrol route, or both.

Comment

Quoth Fox One View Post
                  Forgive my ignorance, but what's the purpose of changing the pattern up?
                  Basically what bunnyboy just said, it keeps the customers out by keeping them from figuring out the pattern of the locks.
                  Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

I can say right now that an "employees only" sign does not always work.

Our Parcel Pick-up area is marked with a clear "No authorised personnel beyond this point", in other words "Staff and delivery staff, plus cleaners, ONLY." I still get customers thinking it's an exit!
                    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Ahh, I get it...They're interpreting ti like a STOP sign on the street, where it means "stop for a few seconds, then GO again"
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I used to get people doing that all the time when I worked the bakery department back in the day. There was no gate in the entrance to the back where I worked, so what I finally started doing was blocking the entrance to the back with those big metal bakery racks. I would put at least two or three there, because I know that one would have done no good. They would just push it out of the way, and come on back.
                        "500 bucks, that's almost a million!"
                        ~Curly from the 3 Stooges

Comment

Quoth BrenDAnn View Post
                          People just walk around it, behind the counter, and grab their chew & cigars. It irritates me to no end, but the manager just says "don't say too much too them about i" so it leaves me gritting my teeth and cursing to myself!
                          Oh, yeah, because it's not a safety risk or anything....

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                          X