X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Kali View Post
    Me: Turtle..... paint?
    SC: Yeah. Y'know, to paint the shell with.
    Me: I....
    SC: For when it's peeling off? (Getting condescending)
    You know this guy was looking for something completely different, but didn't have the brain matter to say what.
    Quoth Kali View Post
    Dude. You're NOT my nemesis.
    Dr. Horrible!

Now I have to go watch that... again... ¬.¬
    Quoth Kali View Post
    lol, yeah I need to watch it myself again, actually. I need my Fillion Fix, and I'm too scared to watch Castle because I'm not sure I want to see Fillion minus Whedon.
    Do it. You won't miss the Whedon, 'cause Fillion is fun all on his own.
    Quoth Kali View Post
    Isn't mudkip a pokemon? lol. I assume you meant to put a link after that arrow?
    Ah, but that's what he did. The text (including arrow) will always appear at the bottom of a linked image.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I see. I hate html. In fact I hate all languages that computers can speak that I can't, it's unsettling.

Comment

Ya know I just read through this whole thread just waiting for the Frank Herbert/Dune reference. Realized I was first and that I couldn't think of a cute way of working a Dune reference into this thread

lol oh well and for those who haven't read the dune books the axolotl tanks were an ingenious plot device in the series.
        I used to be disgusted... Now I'm just amused

Comment

Sold the axolotl today! lol

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
            My nemesis is Captain Hammer. Captain Hammer corporate tool.
            You so beat me to it!!!

Now I'm singing A Man's Gotta Do in my head....
            Teach a SC to fish... and they will whine about you not catching, filleting, frying, and serving it up on a silver platter for them. - EvilEmpryss

Comment

Quoth Kali View Post
              you mean the axolotl?
              I heard you like Axolotl...

Also, Nathan Fillion in Castle is AMAZING! He's a damn good actor.
              "I call murder on that!"

Comment

IIRC turtle painting was a regional thing. Some of them were quite beautiful, but the big problem was that it either inhibited the turtles growth or poisoned them. Maybe dufus was hoping something was available that was safe to use?

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                  Also, Nathan Fillion in Castle is AMAZING! He's a damn good actor.
                  Not to mention yummy!
                  "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

I so was not looking for another show to get sucked into, but I got sucked into watching Castle. It's a fun show. I recommend.
                    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth OfficeSlug View Post
                      You so beat me to it!!!

Now I'm singing A Man's Gotta Do in my head....
                      Great, now so am I!

Did you notice that he threw you in the garbage

Comment

Quoth Kali View Post
                        Me: Turtle..... paint?
                        SC: Yeah. Y'know, to paint the shell with.
                        Me: I....
                        SC: For when it's peeling off? (Getting condescending)

noooooo!

painting a turtle can kill it-they do get some oxygen through it as it's a living organ like your fingernails/hair-it's just more attached.
                        Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                          noooooo!

painting a turtle can kill it-they do get some oxygen through it as it's a living organ like your fingernails/hair-it's just more attached.
                          Actually, looking around at some biology and reptile sites, it looks like painting a turtle shell is no more dangerous than painting your own skin. As long as non-toxic paints are used, it shouldn't hurt the turtle. Now, the turtle is constantly shedding bits of the shell, so any painting wouldn't last long, but it can be done safely. But then lots of things that can be done safely are still silly.

One site ties it to the Goldfinger myth that the woman in it died when her skin was completely painted. This comes from the mistake beilief that we (and turtles) breath through our skin (shell!). If this were true, we would be able to survive having the airway blocked. After all, if the skin takes in enough air to kill you when covered, it should also take in enough air to keep you alive when that chicken wing gets lodged in your throat, right? Well, we know it doesn't, so don't try it at home.

Turtles breathe through their mouth, much like we do. They have a different diaphram system, but the air travels the same path--the throat and lungs. So the big issue would be toxisity of the paint to turtles. There does seem to be some concern over creating a solid coat that may keep the shell bits from flaking off properly, but the references I've seen have not been terribly reliable. I would keep any shell painting to individual "tiles" of the shell, to be safe.

<looks above>

I really need something else to do on slow days at work.
                          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

I don't know about Turtles (but the poster above looks like they do). We used to paint the horses. And actually a lot of them liked it. And I really wanna dye my dog (and name it Quiche) but so far I've had 2 black dogs. The next will be white. (or else!)

Comment

Working...
                            X