This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow, are you really that trusting?!?

So I worked for a huge non-profit (read as no legal authority) complaint department for a couple of years. The one type of SC call that I would get the most would be those who had bought a car as is and something terrible has gone wrong with it.

For instance one caller had stated that she had purchased her used car as is (no warranty, guarantee, or anything of the sort) and the engine blew up. When I asked her the usual questions of did it have a warranty (no), did you have it checked out by a mechanic (no), did you have someone who knows cars take a look at it (no), she began to demand that I make the dealer fix it. Fat chance of that lady! I explain to her that she is pretty much up the creek because of the laws in NJ. Of course lemon laws come up in her rant and I just let her know that her car is too old for it. This information is met with WWWHHHYYYYY CAANT I GEEET IT FIXXXED!!!!!

Fast forward about 20 mins and I made the entire office laugh their collective butts off with this one: Well ma'm the sales guy may have told you that it was in perfect working condition, but he would tell you that the engine was made of solid gold if he thought it would make you buy it. That's what they do, they sell you cars. Now you might want to go to a dealership and buy a new car with a warranty. Have a nice day!

I quit that job after 2 years because I couldn't take the complaining all day every day. But I'm sure that I can remember a few more stories from there.

First off,

Secondly, seriously? I don't know that it's trusting so much as the "I'm special" syndrome that plagues people. They're special and important, so all the world must bow down and do their bidding.

Comment

I gather that you work for a non-profit that accepts donated cars in exchange for a tax deduction for the owner?

Take it from someone in the auto industry: people usually donate vehicles when they know darn well that the vehicle needs SERIOUS work, so much so that they don't want to sell it for any price!

Automan: Sir, your transmission is going out and you need brakes all the way around and the engine is knocking... you're looking at $5500 repairs on a $3000 car which is no great shakes cosmetically either. I suggest you save the oil and change the car.

Nice customer: Thanks for being honest, Automan. I think I'll donate it.

I also buy cars from two donation places that sell on ebay. Some of the negative feedback comes from the type of clueless complainers that the OP talks about. I always buy them sight unseen, as-is! If you don't know anything about cars, you're taking a huge risk. People just see the low price and expect it to be as good as any car of that year and model. Idiots!

The motorhome I bought there threw the belts three times on my way home, once on a long steep grade. I could have blown up the engine if I was careless and thinking, "I just bought it, it shouldn't break down on the way home." Nope, I pulled over each time, got it running again (barely), and now I have a decent motorhome at a good price. Yes, it needed work, but that comes with the territory.
      Suckiness is reinforced up OR down at every transaction. Accepting BS makes them worse for all of us; firm fairness trains them to suck less.

Comment

Working...
      X