This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't believe you raised your prices! + others

I served a gent a few weeks ago, and he got upset that the cost of dress shirts were 3.25 each (+ tax and enviro fees).

Customer: Did you raise your prices?? this is outrageous!

Me: Not since I got here in April 08 sir. Probably not for a few years before that.

He huffed, changed his mind and walked out with his shirts.

Apparently, he called the boss... and wanted a FIFTY PERCENT DISCOUNT on his shirts because of the economy and because of the price change.

The boss of course was not happy. He instead, offered the guy the cost of the shirt three years ago.

Before you think my boss was sucky for doing this, i should point out three years ago, shirts cost 3.15 to clean and press.

In other news, The Shirt Spitter Guy is still with us. I give him proper and good service of course but I'm not as cheerful as usual.

Also, remember the day the Press Machine Almost Ate My Arm?

well, its at it again, only under its OWN power

I think the machines at work are out to get me. On US Inarguration (sp) day, My Iron was steaming a lot... a leak. Tolerable though. I did note it to my boss to order a replacement hose. It always leaks a little as the joint thing is made to swivel for easier ironing. I was ironing when the swivel-joint thingy (It hooks the steam hose to the iron) decided it was not going to join anymore.

Me: *hums as she irons, listening to Aretha Franklin belting out some great singing*

Iron: hiss, hiss, psst... *PSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHTTT!*

Me: *ends up somehow five feet backwards, behind my boss who was standing BEHIND me sorting clothing. Both he and the other girl stare at me, then stare at the iron and go to shut it off. I am standing there, hands folded in front of me clutching, just looking very pale.

The boss DID ask if I was okay, and fixed the Iron with an entirely new one for me. no troubles since.

And the press machine. the EVIL press machine.

For reference, the machine has three buttons and two pedals, plus dials for adjusting (but those are not used very often as you adjust once then go use it).

Buttons: LOCK, STOP (in red), CLOSE. Alll of them much more than a Handspan apart (Unless you are Michael Jordon) The close button closes the press. the stop one INSTANTLY (in theory at least. see below) opens the press and stops all other actions.. The lock button will only work when the press is FULLY CLOSED. So to close it and lock it so it steams the pants, you need to use BOTH hands. a safeguard to keep Stupid Pressers (notme) from steaming their hands. Very good.

But lately, for some reason, sometimes it will not go down all the way when i am holding the CLOSE button. It jumps up and down before opening, or it will close VERRRRY slowly... then SLAM shut at the last minute. Sometimes the Lock button doesnt work and it opens all the way again. Annoying, but can easily be dealt with.

But sometimes, when it doesnt take the lock, it will open... by then I had stepped back and released the Vacuum (a foot pedal) to do other stuff, so I have to vacuum again, rearrange the pants (The vacuum holds them pant leg in place) to close the lid.

Wel, sometimes when the lock doesnt take and it opens, it will then unexpectedly, ON ITS OWN try to close ANd steam. The first time, the edge of the padding (not bare metal thank goodness) smacked my shoulder and left a red mark.

The second time it nearly got me again. Thing is, it doenst do this consistently, so nobody believes me yet (though the boss IS getting the tech in, though he says last time the tech looked at it, he could find no problems. ) If it keeps happening i'm going to tell the boss that I wont use it anymore as its getting dangerous. Someday I may not get myself out of the way, and with short arms I lean enough that my head may get smacked (Course, I am sure if that happens I will fall BACK out of the press, but you know...). That's three times so far.

Luckily, the STOP button stops it all the time, though a few times the machine has failed to open at all (There's a burnt outline of a pair of pants on the cloth right now.) though not in conjunction with these problems.

The tech is supposed to be in on Friday. I'm being very careful though. Hopefully he finds out what's wrong and can fix it. I think its an electrical problem. The buttons are these rubber covered pressure sensors.

Its not been behaving as badly lately though... these incidents have not been happening VERY frequently I should note - over the course of six months.
    Do radioactive cats have 18 half-lives?

Totally o/t: I love your new av!!
    "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

Thanks. i found it on loldogs and HAD to use it. I wish the font was bigger though.

Comment

As to the steam press: You know there's a Stephen King movie/book about a killer steam press...? It's called The Mangler. No, seriously.
        "I call murder on that!"

Comment

*hehs at Juwl* I don't feel so bad knowing someone else thought of it too.

Comment

Oh? Should I get the boss to call in one of the priests from his church to depossess the press then?

Comment

Not much you can do. The constitution guarantees freedom of the press.
              "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
                Not much you can do. The constitution guarantees freedom of the press.
                You forgot the
                "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

I cracked up Sheldon. nice.

Btw, I told my boss about the King novel and he knew about it. so I asked him if we should get a Priest in, he had a good laugh.

He also noticed the press only tries to eat ME... nobody else.

Maybe if I hung a rosary over it...

Comment

Quoth Horsetuna View Post
                    Maybe if I hung a rosary over it...
                    I think that would only work if you or it truly believed in its power.

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
                      The constitution guarantees freedom of the press.

Son of a bitch!
                      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I think that's a point for Sheldonrs.

As for the rosary, a good point. My boss is very religious but the mormons dont use crucifixes. Hmm.

Comment

Quoth Horsetuna View Post
                          I think that's a point for Sheldonrs.

As for the rosary, a good point. My boss is very religious but the mormons dont use crucifixes. Hmm.
                          A garland of CTR* rings!

*"Choose The Right"
                          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                          X