Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It baffles me that people would go to a random bakery for their wedding cakes.

I'm planning to get mine done by Mike's Amazing Cakes when I get married again.

I can totally understand shopping around to see if you can save money, but if a place says they don't do them, why would you call again, when it's almost guaranteed that they aren't experienced with them?

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Horsetuna View Post
      Cakewrecks has a good number of wrecked wedding cakes that shows vendors that dont read the instructions
      ...or they read the instructions too literally, and actually write them on the cake...
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I had my Mom and her best friend make the cake (they volunteered). Yummy. Buttercream icing, no pretty yet yucky fondant, filled with fresh raspberry filling, and an actual tender, quality, cake instead of the brick-like chunk used solely as a too-firm base for a decorator to do his/her thing.

SirWired

Comment

Accounting Drone,

Thank you for that Bienenstich recipe. It has the recipe for the pudding buttercream frosting attached, which I have been looking for for years.

And I'm in NE Ohio. I've ordered from German Deli before, but by time it gets here from Texas, the bread is a bit stale.

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
            *drools copiously* you don't mind if I steal that for when (if?) TTO and I get married, yes?
            Do it. I guarantee you won't regret it.

You know that heavy feeling you get when you eat really rich cake? Well, with such a light cake, you don't get that, which is important. For later in the evening...

Comment

If you all haven't already seen it, go to youtube and look up "Bridezilla" . There's one with a wedding cake just like the ones mentioned here.
              The Bride even admits she KNOWS that she is going to lie to the cake maker!
              She picked one type of cake, then changed her mind and THEN decides she wants the original. If I had been there, the bride would not only be wearing the cake, she would be getting married with several broken bones!
              "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth sylvier View Post
                I work at a small German bakery...we offer white, chocolate, mocca, Black Forest and fruit flan...
                :drools: Mmm, Black Forest cake...maybe if we renew our vows, I'll ask hubby if we can serve that at the ceremony.

I don't understand Bridezillas myself. Our wedding was very simple, we paid for it ourselves, had to giggle at the few things that went wrong (bad organist and frozen solid cake) and ended up with a cute, sweet wedding and a marriage that has lasted eighteen years. And I'm always hearing stories of Bridezillas who spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on a fairytale wedding, have a conniption fit if one streamer is slightly crooked and end up divorced less than a year later. Go figure.
                Last edited by XCashier; 07-09-2009, 05:29 PM.
                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                My LiveJournal
                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I decided years ago to prevent anyone from bitching at me I'm just gonna ask for one big-ass strawberry short cake.
                  ......../\
                  ....../__\
                  ..../\...../\
                  ../__\../__\

Comment

Quoth Sarah Rhapsodos View Post
                    I decided years ago to prevent anyone from bitching at me I'm just gonna ask for one big-ass strawberry short cake.
                    Do they make them in other shapes as well?
                    "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
                      The Bride even admits she KNOWS that she is going to lie to the cake maker!
                      She picked one type of cake, then changed her mind and THEN decides she wants the original. If I had been there, the bride would not only be wearing the cake, she would be getting married with several broken bones!
                      I saw the entire episode. I would have borrowed a lesson from the construction industry and made her sign a written change order and brandish it at the first sign of disagreement--reserving the right to slap her with a substantial PITA fee, needless to say. I can't believe that so few vendors who deal with bridezillas don't practice that--our florist did. No we weren't socked with it.
                      Quoth XCashier View Post
                      I don't understand Bridezillas myself. Our wedding was very simple, we paid for it ourselves, had to giggle at the few things that went wrong (bad organist and frozen solid cake) and ended up with a cute, sweet wedding and a marriage that has lasted eighteen years. And I'm always hearing stories of Bridezillas who spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on a fairytale wedding, have a conniption fit if one streamer is slightly crooked and end up divorced less than a year later. Go figure.
                      Mrs. TGK could have qualified for the show, but she would not be used in promos. She sweated the details, but we made the big decision (location) early. We spent about $10k (lot of DIY); and our wedding is the gold standard in our respective families. No, not everything went as planned, but what ever does? Our 8th anniversary is in November.
                      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth It shouldn't View Post
                        Accounting Drone,

Thank you for that Bienenstich recipe. It has the recipe for the pudding buttercream frosting attached, which I have been looking for for years.

And I'm in NE Ohio. I've ordered from German Deli before, but by time it gets here from Texas, the bread is a bit stale.
                        Really? I have never had issues with the bread before ...

That site has a bunch of recipes that are good - I use that and handwritten recipes from my nanny when I was growing up [she was bavarian, was sort of passed around in the family since my grandparents brought her over for my dad and uncles. She is buried in the family plot next to where I am supposed to be planted =) ]

Let me check around for a couple bread recipes, though I normally just default to a basic 3 day sourdough, I have an austrian sourdough starter I got from some site online that I use named Fritzi. It is more in the flour than the making normally, it is a little bit different in protein profile than american all purpose. I get mine from King Arthur Flour - european artesanal since I dont live too far, we tend to go up every few months and stock up about 50 lbs at a time =)
                        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Weddings are what you make of them. I've got plenty of giggle-worthy memories of my wedding, like my annoyance that my hubby kept me from smushing cake in his face by shoving a fork in my hand when it came time to give him some. *pout* And my two aunts who flew in from Minnesota the day of the ceremony arriving barely in the nick of time for the wedding, so we held things up for a few minutes so they could...um...use the facilities and freshen up.

Best pictures of my wedding? Me advancing on the cake with a knife like I was going to murder it. Second best was my sister snatching the bouquet at the last minute because not a single girl at the wedding wanted to catch the thing and she didn't want it to land on the floor untouched.

Minor detail that made me want to cry at my wedding? Mom didn't come over to my apartment to fix my hair like she promised, and at the church had completely forgotten she'd promised to and asked me why on earth she would have come over when I called her on it. She redeemed herself by sacrificing some bobby pins from her own hairdo to keep my veil in place.

Oh, and I stuck my tongue out at a friend while walking down the aisle with my dad, so there's only one good picture of the walk.

Major thing that still makes my blood boil a year and a half later? My grandparents (I only have one living pair) didn't come because my grandmother 'was tired of travelling after four graduations and a wedding the year before'. And I'm the oldest grandchild, though one of my cousins married first. My mother finally told me last month that they'd decided to do graduations but not weddings and only went to my cousin's wedding because it was the same week as his brother's graduation...but guess whose graduation they didn't go to? The first two--mine and my sister's. Bitter? Me? Just a LOT!
                          It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

Quoth LadyAndreca View Post
                            Major thing that still makes my blood boil a year and a half later? My grandparents (I only have one living pair) didn't come because my grandmother 'was tired of travelling after four graduations and a wedding the year before'. And I'm the oldest grandchild, though one of my cousins married first. My mother finally told me last month that they'd decided to do graduations but not weddings and only went to my cousin's wedding because it was the same week as his brother's graduation...but guess whose graduation they didn't go to? The first two--mine and my sister's. Bitter? Me? Just a LOT!
                            Oh, I can totally top that one.

My grandparents (the ones still living) didn't even RSVP the invitation.

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Beware the Bridezilla!!! She will destroy Tokyo!!
                              (That's what I said a couple days ago regarding a bridezilla in the making)
                              "Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your software."

Comment

Working...
                              X