This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Customer Who Wouldn't Leave

Today, the produce employee mentioned to my service desk coworker that the last customer of the day wouldn't leave. From what I heard, the conversation went something like this.

Produce Employee: We're closing now.

Customer: Don't rush me!

Produce Employee: We're trying not to go into overtime.

Customer: I don't care!

Also, the closing checker needed to leave at closing so she wouldn't get in trouble. The reason for that was because she was a minor.
    My Fanfic Page
    My Fiction Page
    My Social Group
    My Pet Social Group
    My You Tube Channel

Ah, the old "The World Revolves Around meeeeeeeee and meeeee only!!!!" people. I hate them.

Comment

20 bucks says that customer showed up less than 20 minutes before closing...
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

This sounds like a title for a B grade horror flick. I'd go see it if it were made.
        To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Don't you wish you knew where their place of business was, so you could go pull that on them at closing time? I know that would be stooping to their level, but at least they would find out what it's like.

Agreed, I used to hate people like that back in the day! It's like they think that retail workers have no life outside of work, they live to cater to the customer & that's it.
          "500 bucks, that's almost a million!"
          ~Curly from the 3 Stooges

Comment

That's when you shut down the registers and start closing up shop. When the customer comes up with a full cart of groceries, just say, "Sorry, we're closed. We told you about this 20 minutes ago". You know they won't do it again, and they'll pay more attention next time.

That's what I do in my gift shop. People just won't leave, even after all the closing announcements and turning the lights off around them. When they finally deign to come to the registers with their items, it's already cashed out and the deposit is made. We're ready to go, and we're not opening back up for one purchase. We've had a lot less people sticking around since we took up this policy.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
              20 bucks says that customer showed up less than 20 minutes before closing...
              I don't take sucker bets.

Quoth Tito View Post
              Agreed, I used to hate people like that back in the day! It's like they think that retail workers have no life outside of work, they live to cater to the customer & that's it.
              Didn't you know that we're automatons?
              It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

grumble grumble grumble How am I supposed to know the hours even though I've been a regular here for 30 years? I'm spending money, I should be entitled to stay as late as I want! grumble grumble grumble
                Think. It's not illegal yet.

Comment

Quoth GiftShopGirl View Post
                  That's when you shut down the registers and start closing up shop. When the customer comes up with a full cart of groceries, just say, "Sorry, we're closed. We told you about this 20 minutes ago". You know they won't do it again, and they'll pay more attention next time.
                  Nice. I'd be tempted to try doubling the price of their purchase to cover the 'double-time' required to pay the cashier.

Comment

Had similar happen at work last night. Customers walk in at around 8.45pm, knowing that we stop serving at 9 and try to get everyone out my 9.30. At 10pm they were still there. We asked them, nicely, to leave, as they ad payed the check and were just chatting.

SC: Why should we have to go?
                    Me: Well, we closed an hour ago, and the owner want's to lock up. (mind you, i need to work the very next morning)
                    SC: Not our problem.

... fast forward to 10.20pm, the owner had to come down & get them out.

Comment

No, that is their problem. They know when you close, they made you stay open later and are actively costing the place money.

Alternatively, charge them for the extra labor (for ALL people on the clock at that time), electricity, A/C, etc required due to their presence. Minimum of one hour's worth of each charged.
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

One of the latest upgrades to my stores tills gives us a great excuse. To save electricity the back office system turns off the power to the tills 5minites after our official closing time.

So I make a point of letting stragglers know.

I don't tell them that we can overide it though

Comment

At the garden centre where I used to work, we used to turn off the lights at the back of the store to herd customers to the front. XD Worked every time, even if they were only going to the front to whinge about the lights being switched off.
                          People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                          My DeviantArt.

Comment

Working...
                          X