This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snotty BAG lady. This week SUCKS!

Our store requires us to bag in plastic bags, unless a customer specifically asks for paper bags.
    While in the middle of a huge grocery order (two days before Thanksgiving....you kow the kind) the next lady (Snotty Bag Lady) interupts and tells me she wants paper bags.
    SBL=Snotty Bag Lady
    ME= Really, doing the best I can.....

SBL: I want paper bags.
    Me: Ok, I'll be right with you.

Remember, I was in the middle of another order. I wasn't even to her yet. I hate when people do that because, while most times I do remember their request by the time I get to them, sometimes I dont. Thats just the way it is. And yesterday, with a constant line of people ALL DAY LONG and no end in sight, my attention span was especially shot.

So anyways, I get done with the first order and start on SBL's order. And guess what, I did forget, and I started bagging in plastic. Its habit. Of course, SBL waits for me to bag 5 bags before she so *kindly* reminds me.
    SBL: (verrrrrry snotty like "I told you I wanted paper!"
    Me: Oh. I'm sorry. I didn't catch that.
    SBL: You aknowledged me after I said it!
    Me: I'm sorry, I dont remember. (Then it hit me....an "Oh, yeah!" moment) Oh! You asked me while I was in the middle of that other order! Thats right! It was gone by the time I got to you.... (doing a fleeting motion from my brain to the air with my hand.)
    SBL: Well, I want paper!

Really. I did just space it. These past few days I have just been in this "zone" Its been crazy. I worked almost 4 hours yesterday before I got my first break. I was the only regular checkstand open during that time (7:30-11:00am), the other two were express...(I know,... what is wrong with this picture) I had my fair share of $200.00 - $400.00 orders and frozen friggin turkeys. I really wish some people would just realize that I want to be there just as much as they do. And please wait until I get to you in line before you start making demands on how you want your order done.

Ok. One more day. I have to be in at 10:30 and I am there all day long, until 7pm. Today is going to be the crazy day. The most insane day. People that have been coming in the last two days swear up and down that was their last trip. They lie. Because they will be in today. And they will be buying their frozen turkey. My arms hurt. My neck is stiff. I will be eating ibuprofen for lunch again today. Please please please. I beg you all, be nice to your checker today! This is probably the worst day of the year for them. Think Black Friday, but for the grocery business.....

After today, I have the next 4 off. I already bought my 1.5 bottle of Yellow Tail Merlot, so I may curl up in fetal position with it, and my turkey (with a friggin fork stuck in it) tomorrow.....

oh sh*t. I still have to bake cookies tonight....
    WELCOME

Be Nice or I'll Make the Sun Go Away.

I know how you feel. A few years ago I was a cashier at a supermarket. Having my lane and only an express open it not a good idea. They need to have at least 2 or 3 big lanes open this time of year.
    "Oh, very good....Yes, it is easy to see that nearly six years of magical education have not been wasted on you, Potter. 'Ghosts are transparent.'" Severus Snape

Comment

Yeah I know how it feels. I pretty much gave up on people. If I'm halfway through their order using plastic and they tell me they wanted paper than I'll just get out the paper bags and throw the already-bagged plastic bags indside the paper ones... especially this week. I stopped caring about the bag nazis a long time ago.
      The only thing wrong with society is the people in it.

Comment

Quoth RailroadMonster View Post
        . If I'm halfway through their order using plastic and they tell me they wanted paper than I'll just get out the paper bags and throw the already-bagged plastic bags indside the paper ones
        That's what I always did. And when people would try to talk to me while I was helping someone else, I never acknowleged them. Not once. You wait until I am done with my customer. That is SO rude! I think some grocery stores are actually phasing out paper bags anyway.
        Last edited by Ree; 10-10-2007, 03:47 AM. Reason: Fixing quote tags

Comment

Man I'm so glad that I don't know how to work our registers. I mean, I worked one for 12 years in the conv. store business, but I am not going to learn them at the grocery store.
          I've seen the way they pull my boss off of what he is doing, and stick him on a register, and he can't get done what he needs to get done, thus making us do more of the work.

And, I don't understand why they can't schedule correctly, knowing that they are busy at certian times of the week.
          And the sky was full of stars... and every star, an exploding ship, one of ours...

Comment

Quoth garth1 View Post
            And, I don't understand why they can't schedule correctly, knowing that they are busy at certian times of the week.
            Because corporate is probably breathing down their necks about payroll. I don't knowabout your store, but at the supermarket I used to work at, the managers could practically get away with murder (including stabbing me in the back, figuratively speakin, but that's for another day), except screwing up payroll. Back when the son of the original owners ran the company, if a manager was over on his payroll, even by a few hours, he'd personally call him on the phone and demand an explanation. And unless you could prove that you had authorization to do it, then you'd be told to take a couple weeks off while they "figure out of they can still use you."

It's always matter of not having enough hours budgeted. Now I can certainly understand the argument, but I do NOT agree with it. It's just stupid to understaff your stores, especially around the holidays. Even during non-peak times, the supermarket I worked at (just THAT store) did over $100,000 in revenue each day, and the line workers were all paid close to minimum wage. The extra payroll would probably be made up in 20 minutes, and they won't do it, since it's one of their single largest expenses.
            "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Seems so much easier in here, we only have plastic bags and no one will pack our stuff. And plastic packs cost about 15c.
              Did i remember to tell that carts (things what you use in shop to move whatever you buy, dont know if thats correct word) have 20s-1e "deposit" what you get back when you return it back on place where it belongs.
              I really want to see one of your SC to shop in Finland, they probably have stroke

Comment

Last day on the job fantasy:

SC: Well, I told you I want PAPER!

ME: Okay. *takes plastic bags and puts them in paper bags* Here you go! Have a nice day! NOT!
                "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Working...
                X