This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freedom! Horrible, Horrible, Freedom!

Been a while since you heard from me, hasn't it?

I've been holding down my usual job at the grocery store, and it seems like I can't even spend my days off without hassle. I'll talk about those first.

No, I work at the OTHER red polo place.

I got off work early one day and Mom asked if I wanted to accompany her to Target. I said fine, she picked me up and we went. I was still in uniform, mind you, and the HEB uniform is a red polo shirt and nametag (we can wear jeans or slacks with it) with a big 'ol logo on the front.

We get to Target, and five people thought I worked there because I had a red shirt on. It didn't matter that it said HEB on it in huge letters. I obviously worked at Target. Most of them were nice about the misunderstanding and apologized, I laughed it off, they were no big deal. But jeez, people, learn to read!

---

So...you're saying I can't shop in a grocery store because I work here?

After work one day I realize I need groceries, so I put my nametag in my pocket (no nametag is a sign to managers that means 'I'm off duty') and I get a cart. I'm walking through the aisles and a few people come up with questions. Usually it's just where stuff is located, and I point them on their way, no big deal.

However, one person saw me and said, 'Hey, are you working now?' I go, 'No, I'm doing my grocery shopping, I'm off work right now.' Person scowls and says, 'You know, you really shouldn't be shopping. It looks unprofessional.'

I was shocked. 'Excuse me? My employers are not paying me, I need food just like everyone else, I am perfectly able to shop where I like.' Person goes, 'You'll be sorry.' and storms off. In checkout, my manager rings me up and goes, 'So a lady came up and complained about you shopping while off the clock.'

'And?'

Manager grins. 'I only pretended to care. You learn a lot of that in this job.'

I love my manager.

---

Okay, now onto the work stories.

But I want the deal MY way!

We're having a meal deal this week where if you buy a rotisserie chicken (around $6.99 or so) you get a large box of macaroni and cheese and a 2-liter Dr. Pepper for free. Not a bad deal, right? A lot of people have been buying it with no problem, but I get a lot of people who just don't get it.

One woman didn't understand she had to buy the whole chicken to get the deal. She tried to buy just leg quarters instead. (It actually costed more than the chicken with the deal. What the fuck?)

Several people couldn't understand why they couldn't buy the chicken on their foodstamp card. Hot Deli Food is no longer allowed on TX foodstamp cards. It has been this way since December of 08, perhaps even further back. I'm not knocking anyone on government assistance, but you've had a long time to know that you can't buy it.

And I can't change it for you either, so don't ask. And it's also not my fault. Write your congressman.

---

You mean I have to PAY for my food???

I got a lady who came to my line with an empty soda bottle and I swear to all that is holy, she said this:

'I already drank it before I came up to the register, so I don't have to pay for it, right?'

It took all my strength not to laugh at her. Yeah, we're having a contest to see if you can chug your soda before we check you out. She seemed genuinely surprised that she had to pay, but she did.

---

Jokes? Oh, I get it! I get jokes.

A guy comes up to my line and asks me a question about the seafood department. He goes, 'Do you serve crabs?'

I grin and go, 'We serve anybody!'

He starts laughing, which is nice, but he keeps laughing like it's the funniest thing in the world, when it was just a pun...it creeped me out, to be honest, and some of the customers went to another line.

----

So, uh....yeah. That's about it.
    http://www.customerssuck.com/?p=7499
    Now appearing in comic form!

The last one reminds of a Chuck E. Cheese commercial from years ago..."I got crabs".

People don't pay attention to the logos on shirts, hell they barely pay attention to the color of a shirt. Polo shirt = You work there.

And what the hell is some people's problem with people shopping at the store after work? I mean the people that work there have to shop at some point too. Are they supposed to go home, take off their uniform and go back? Talk about wasteful.

Comment

Quoth mikoyan29 View Post
      And what the hell is some people's problem with people shopping at the store after work? I mean the people that work there have to shop at some point too. Are they supposed to go home, take off their uniform and go back? Talk about wasteful.
      Of course not. I work at a grocery store, and if I have to do a little shopping at work, I would simply just take my workshirt off, and shop, with the workshirt in a plastic bag, providing I have a shirt on underneath of course.

Comment

Quoth GroceryWench View Post
        ...'I already drank it before I came up to the register, so I don't have to pay for it, right?...
        Yes, that's right. And if I beat the shit out of you before the cops get here, it's not really a crime, right?
        "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

In respose to the topic title, I for one welcome our new GroceryWench Overlord.
          To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth mikoyan29 View Post
            People don't pay attention to the logos on shirts, hell they barely pay attention to the color of a shirt. Polo shirt = You work there.
            I was once in an Apple store with my dad just for fun. I was wearing a white polo shirt with an AMD logo on it. A few people still thought I worked there

When I was taking riding lessons, I'd have people come up to me in the grocery store on my way home and want to know where stuff was (hmmm...store: polo shirt and khakis; me: barn-smelling muddy riding parka, jeans and boots)
            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Manager grins. 'I only pretended to care. You learn a lot of that in this job.'

I love my manager.
              Don't we all!
              'I already drank it before I came up to the register, so I don't have to pay for it, right?'
              Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
              Yes, that's right. And if I beat the shit out of you before the cops get here, it's not really a crime, right?
              Don't forget to hide the body.

That was just...wow. Um, lady, you do know what "shoplifting" is, don't you? It's another word for stealing, which is taking something without paying for it, which is what you're trying to do!
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

That's the great thing about working at a bookstore...you can shop while you work! (I often came home with little scraps of paper with titles written on them, just from looking at the backs of interesting books while the customer was getting their money out. Yesterday I was browsing in the bookstore and I came out with a text message draft on my phone with 4 titles I want to save for future reading. )

One day I had a guy ask me for help at Target...twice in about 5 minutes...and I believe I was wearing a coat (I know I was not wearing a red shirt or khakis).
                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Is it just me that thinks that if the staff are shopping in the store, thats a good thing!

I have not worked retail in years (I work call centre/service), but was in my local Target the other day and got asked 3 times by the same woman where the maternity bras were??? I was wearing all black and carrying a large work bag. Why on earth did she think I worked there????? And I was not even in the bra section!! I was in the shoe dept!
                  "When did you get a gold plated toilet?"
                  "We don't have a gold plated toilet"
                  "Oh dear, I think I just peed in your Tuba"

-Jasper Fforde

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                    In respose to the topic title, I for one welcome our new GroceryWench Overlord.
                    You just shot up a billion points in my book for knowing the reference.
                    http://www.customerssuck.com/?p=7499
                    Now appearing in comic form!

Comment

Quoth raw456 View Post
                      Is it just me that thinks that if the staff are shopping in the store, that's a good thing!
                      Agreed 100%! If anything, it's a compliment to the store itself.

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                      One day I had a guy ask me for help at Target...twice in about 5 minutes...and I believe I was wearing a coat (I know I was not wearing a red shirt or khakis).
                      I was wearing all black and carrying a large work bag. Why on earth did she think I worked there????? And I was not even in the bra section!! I was in the shoe dept!
                      Maybe it's just the general air of competence/lack of the deer-in-the-headlights look that we all tend to have...I've had the same experience, even while shopping in stores in which I have never been employed >_>
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I dunno... last time I worked in retail, if we were off the clock, we had to cover up our work shirt (sweater, jacket, different shirt, whatever) to prevent this kind of confusion. It was a reasonable policy, and kept customers from chasing down employees who were not on the clock.

I wish more stores would do this actually...

SirWired

Comment

I had the laugther attack at one of my last DnD sessions. I just couldn't stop laughing. I mean the joke was funny but it wasn't that funny.

It went something like:

Dungeonmaster: After you defeated the three monks you meet the headmonk. The monk has a cat-like aura around him.
                          Me: So he is licking his fist and cleaning his head?
                          All: Slight laugther.
                          Dungeonmaster: Haha, all right. The monk speaks and says:
                          Other guys interrupting: MEEEEEOW!
                          Que laugther attack from me and the guy saying the Meow!.
                          http://www.deezer.com/#music/album/100130
                          Melody Gardot

Comment

Quoth raw456 View Post
                            Is it just me that thinks that if the staff are shopping in the store, thats a good thing!
                            Nope, me too. I also have a lot more confidence in a bar or restaurant where I see the employees drinking/dining occasionally.

Comment

Working...
                            X