Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Three tales from Textbook Hell (Language warning. SC had a potty mouth...)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The whole point/existence of post-secondary education means nothing if people that stupid are getting in. It's just as bad as in Canadian universities; high school kids work their butts off to get in, but EVERYBODY gets in, including English majors who wouldn't know a run-on sentence if it bit them in the a$$.

Comment

Quoth Gruesome View Post
      I would have unloaded on CPB with both barrells. I do love the fact that you kept it professional - sometimes that drives them nuts.
      But sometimes it just sails right over their heads. I've no doubt that's the case with CPB.
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Lupo...

You are my hero...

Cheers!
        Just to cut off any helpful suggestions: This woman was not blind, nor disabled. She was just a bitch. - Boozy

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
          But sometimes it just sails right over their heads. I've no doubt that's the case with CPB.
          Most likely, considering she was off in her own land with her oh so very important phone call. She probably only heard every third word I said to her. Which only served to annoy her further during the attempted buyback because my being sweet and professional and oh so eager to please gave her no wiggle room for trying to say I didn't say something...I repeated it. Repeatedly. Or something.

I's very tired, and think I'm starting to run a fever, so Lupo's going sleepy night night time now.

Comment

I have Norton editions of The Faerie Queene, Hard Times, and David Copperfield...I might be willing to sell them to her...

I'm just curious as to who CPB was talking to during all of this. I can't imagine actually wanting to have a phone conversation with her and hear all that drivel.
            If I had been on the other end of the phone, I'd probably have been surfing the web going "uh-huh, hu-huh, yeah, uh-huh..." Then again, I don't have friends who would treat customer service people like that.
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
              I have Norton editions of The Faerie Queene, Hard Times, and David Copperfield...I might be willing to sell them to her...
              But... but... bu... they're all Norton, so they are the same book.
              "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Re: Cell Phone bizzotch - This is going to seem kind of weird, but it actually may not have registered to her that you could hear her. Some people on cell phones get this weird disconnect in which they think the world is their conversation and nothing else is happening. They tend to "close out." They actually don't know that their voices carry. Had she been called on her behavior, I would imagine she would have been completely buffaloed by it.

I remember reading a story about a guy in a train compartment with another passenger who was carrying on a long, remarkably self-centered conversation on a cell phone. After about 20 minutes of it, the guy on the phone got this odd look on his face, looked at the other passenger, and said, "Do you mind? This is a private conversation."

Oo, the Norton Anthology! I came to despise those when I was in college - a big, thick, battered lump of a paperback book, with maybe 200 pages with anything interesting on them out of a total of over a thousand. My enthusiasm for college picked up considerably in later years, but the books didn't get much use in upper-level courses. Then, a year ago, I was cleaning up a closet and found one that I forgot to return to the bookstore. I ENSHRINED it as a monument to halcyon college days. (Even better - I found one in a remainder bin at Borders for five dollars. Those things are like an entire University lit library in one volume.)

Love, Who?

Comment

Quoth lupo pazzesco View Post
                  Her: It's the Norton Anthology! I'm going to buy it! <and she flounces off to the registers>
                  I dare say with only 2 weeks left in the semester, and she doesn't even know which class she's in, all Nortons will be of equal value to her & her grade.

I would have sold her Norton anti-virus instead.
                  Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

Quoth infinitemonkies View Post
                    I dare say with only 2 weeks left in the semester, and she doesn't even know which class she's in, all Nortons will be of equal value to her & her grade.

I would have sold her Norton anti-virus instead.
                    Damn sure wouldn't want to sacrifice any Andre Norton on this altar of tinfoil intelligence!
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Life would be so much easier if everyone adopted the "Please refrain from talking on your cell phone while ordering" signs. I see them at Subway all the time, and they're starting to become more common.

I honestly cannot stand the people that set something down on the counter, and just expect you to read their mind. Uuggghh... some people's kids!!

Comment

I just have to chime in and say I love the way you handled the cell phone lady. Killed with kindness

Comment

Quoth lupo pazzesco View Post

Say WHAT? Part deux...
                          <And to the other person on the line> Seriously, how hard is it for people do to their job?!
                          Hmm, seems like YOU didn't have a hard time at all doing your job. She just didn't like what that meant. Bitch. I can't wait until she's in the workforce and learns what doing a job correctly really means - as long as I don't have to deal with her.

Comment

Working...
                          X