This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not clear on the concept

Sorry I haven't been around in a while. It's due to a combination of shit happening at work and other shit happening outside of work (including a computer that snuffed it and has been revived but is still getting its crash on fairly regularly). I've got tons of customers to gripe about, but when I've had the time, I've found that I'd rather avoid thinking about the assholes I deal with at work if it's at all possible.

What makes it worse is that I can't give these bastards a gunpowder-assisted dance with the Reaper, but fortunately I can fire up Grand Theft Auto IV and blow some shit up. Always puts a smile on my face. But I digress...

I do have a quick story to share. Heard this one from one of my coworkers, who had just been floored by an overdose of stupid.

Bit of set-up first: We've got three kiosks in the photo lab which have the prices for the one-hour service on a sign above each screen: 1-24 prints are 25 cents each, 25-99 prints are 19 cents each, 100+ are 15 cents each.

Now, this woman had just put in an order for over 200 prints and couldn't understand why the total was over thirty dollars.

What was her boggle?

She thought the sign indicated that, if you put in an order for 100 prints, you'd get them for 15 cents. As in, all 100 for just 15 cents total.

When the coworker clarified the actual cost, the customer's excuse was, "Well, that sign is confusing!"

Um, yeah. It's only confusing if you're fuckin' stupid!

Not sure what else to say. But this picture sums it up pretty well:

That would really depend on the working of the sign...If it says "the first 24 prints are 25c each", "the next 25-99 are 19c each", etc, then I'm with you 100%.

If not, and it's worded exactly as you typed it, maybe they need to reword that sign...
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

What did she do ?

Pay up ? Or leave you with 200 expensive prints of her holidays or something equally dull and pointless to anyone but her ?

Quoth EricKei View Post
      That would really depend on the working of the sign...If it says "the first 24 prints are 25c each", "the next 25-99 are 19c each", etc, then I'm with you 100%.

If not, and it's worded exactly as you typed it, maybe they need to reword that sign...
      I don't think that's the problem. I think the photos are all 15c when you order 100 or more (and it's quite common that it works that way). The sign says that, and means that.

The problem is that this woman was SO stupid she believed that you could order any number of photos greater than a hundred and pay 15c for the lot...

So you can have 24 prints for 25c, 99 prints for 19c and infinite prints for 15c....

The stupidity is quite shattering.

Victoria J

Comment

The thing is, I've *often* seen setups -- especially online where, if you buy, say 5 units of something, they're price A, but if you buy ten, they're all price B (which is less than A), NOT "pay price A for the first 5 and price B for the rest. The latter seems to be the policy at this store, but the sign, as written, seems to suggest the former.

'Tis why I asked ^_^
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post

No, there's nothing wrong with the way the sign is worded. The problem is that most customers aren't capable of thinking critically--or, very often, thinking at all. Anyone should be able to figure it out with a glance. I mean, does it even make sense for the customer to think that she could buy 100 photos for a total of fifteen cents? Even without knowing the exact cost of the paper and ink, it's reasonable to assume that fifteen cents wouldn't even begin to cover the cost of 100 4x6 pictures.

What probably happened is what always happens with SCs--on the rare occasion when they do read the signs that are right in front of them, they usually read only part of 'em. She probably looked at the "100+" and the "15" and ignored everything else, and just didn't think.

Comment

Quoth Victoria J View Post
            What did she do ?

Pay up ? Or leave you with 200 expensive prints of her holidays or something equally dull and pointless to anyone but her ?
            I haven't heard any more about it, but if she'd refused to pay for them, I'm sure I would've heard the coworker bitching about it. I'll have to ask her next chance I get, just to be sure.

Anyway, it's like you said, this customer was just stupid. I bet if you held her head to your ear, you'd hear the ocean.

Comment

Quoth Spider Jerusalem View Post
              Anyway, it's like you said, this customer was just stupid. I bet if you held her head to your ear, you'd hear the ocean.
              Best use for a stupid customer ever.

I LIKE the sound of the ocean.

Victoria J

Comment

Ahhh... I misunderstood. I was not aware that she wanted ALL of them for fifteen cents TOTAL o_O

Objection cheerfully retracted

Comment

Far more likely when you hold the head up you'll hear more whining and complaining and other sounds of entitlement.
                  Bark like a chicken!

Comment

Working...
                  X