This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The School of Entitlement and Other Stories

These have all happened over the course of the last month or so. Since both Mark and Eugene were out of the office for trade show, Carl and I were handling ALL phone calls AND emails by ourselves.

Naturally dealing with more customers means dealing with more SCs. Some real gems:

The School of Entitlement

This was a series of emails between me and the principal of a school in a European city with a very high cost of living. Basically they had mismanaged their license to the point where they were unable to activate the software.

Since we aren't heartless bastards we believed they were honest but inept and I was trying to get some information from them so I could make them whole and made sure to teach them how to avoid getting themselves into such a bad situation again. I do this all the time.

People are usually grateful that we are understanding and very happy to cooperate learn how to avoid repeating the situation.

Not these guys. The fact that I even asked for information was an insult to their honor.

Cue a couple of rounds of me diplotmatically explaining that knew they were honest, I just needed the information to help and them coming back crying how poor they were and how put upon and how important the work they are doing is. Everything EXCEPT the bloody information I asked for.

Eventually I had to tell them I physically couldn't help them without it.

Finally they gave it to me. I was able to help them and let them know how to avoid the situation in the future.

Normally I receive either nothing or a thank you from customers when that happens. These guys decided to tell me off. The concluding line of the email made me laugh [English is not their first language so ignore the errors]:

You seem to have a commercial sense restricted enough to oblige a small non-profitmaking organization and acknowledged of public utility, to buy very dear licences still and still in state of quasi monopoly.
    Yes, folks. He "insulted" us by basically telling us we're good businessmen. I guess we're horrible because we charge money for our product. I'd feel a lot more charitable if I didn't know for a fact that this school principal must draw a fairly decent salary from that same organization becuase he needs it to pay for his rent and food where he lives. But apparently we're supposed to survive on rainbows and unicorns and good will.

Of course, there's really nothing to reply to there, so I ignored it after having a chuckle.

Oh, and as a bonus he "reported" us to our reseller/distrubitor in his country, another non-profit agency. The reseller got back to me a week after it had all been resolved and asked basically for me to resolve it. I replied that I had already resolved the issue and very much in their favor. I cheerfully made sure that Principal Skinflint was in the cc list.

You Want What?

No, we aren't going to engineer the installer on a version that came out 10 years ago to make it work on a CD, then copy it onto a CD, then ship said CD to India because you bought a new computer without floppy drive. And no, we certainly aren't going to do that for free.

However the newest version does come on a CD AND you are eligible for update pricing (which is less than half what you paid 10 years ago for those floppy diskettes).

Funny. I never heard back from him.

The Pirate Prince of Egypt

This guy. Oh, man.

I got a notice from our UK distributor that this fellow had come right out and disclosed using a pirated copy of our program.

I guess he was trying to get tech support and somehow thought being honest would make the distributor willing to help him or something.

I took over from there. I verified the license was pirated. Explained that only legal licenses get tech support from us and offered to sell him a legal license.

I've been very polite. Pirate or no, he's a potential customer. However he kept asking questions about the legal version that were obvious veiled attempts to get tech support on his illegal copy.

I've been staying helpfully unhelpful by basically answering, "Yes. When you buy your legal license, it will do what you want." But omitting the bit where I tell him HOW to do what he wants.

So he turned to our user-helping-user forum to see if he could get one of our honest paying customers to help him out.

Too bad I thought to put him on ModPost by that point.

Are You Fucking Kidding Me?

Today I had a guy who is an IT professional at a college using a FREE training license ask me if I could help him bypass our copy protection.

Bonus! Another Tale from Mr. Dips' Coin Shop

If you find a nickel in your pocket and think it might have an error on it that makes it valuable and unusual by all means bring it in on a very busy Saturday and bypass the long line of customers patiently waiting to *buy* things to show it to the overworked clerk.

When she takes time to inspect it and tells you it's not worth more than 5 cents and the store isn't interested in buying it, by all means ask her if she's sure.

When she tells you that she is indeed sure and moves on to one of the many customers waiting behind you go right home turn on your caps lock key and tell "everyone" in the internet that "[STORE] SUCKS AND RIPS YOU OFF1111!!!!!"

Riddle me this, moron. How can someone be ripped off if no offer was made?
    The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

That's funny. Most people who pirate software refrain from calling the company to tell them that they are using a pirated copy.

Comment

Exactly. Pirates are no better than shoplifters. But as you can see on this site some shoplifters are just that dumb too.
      The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

The thing is, many people these days don't see anything wrong with piracy...

The release of Final Fantasy 12 comes to mind -- VERY heavily pirated, if the GameFAQs boards at the time were any indication. Literally hundreds of posters asking for help with things that you would have to play the game to know about...a week before it was released...
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
          The release of Final Fantasy 12 comes to mind -- VERY heavily pirated, if the GameFAQs boards at the time were any indication. Literally hundreds of posters asking for help with things that you would have to play the game to know about...a week before it was released...
          I would note that many people will import FF games from the Japan release early, so that could explain why they were asking the questions before US/Europe/Aussie release day.
          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Well, that could very well be true...but not in this case. They were referring to the US version by the character/item/location names used in the US version several days before it was even shipped out to stores. I'm talking about literally thousands of posts from hundreds of users.

That, and there were numerous threads from people *bragging* about where they downloaded it from, begging for same, asking for help burning the game, etc...Also, it was released in Japan 7 months prior. The importers had already had their way with it ^_^
            Last edited by EricKei; 07-29-2009, 03:51 PM. Reason: clarification and expansion
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Quoth Dips View Post

Today I had a guy who is an IT professional at a college using a FREE training license ask me if I could help him bypass our copy protection.

Invariably at some point in the semester (I taught a "101" class at a city college.) someone would ask me to get him, or tell him how to get, XYZ software. Took me only three terms to go from patiently explaining why you shouldn't do that to just saying I didn't know how. Why would anyone risk a professional career over such small returns?

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                The thing is, many people these days don't see anything wrong with piracy...

Nonono...there were people asking for help with the PC version of Assassin's creed weeks before it came out.
                Kangaroo Squee!

Comment

I support my software people. Of course that doesn't keep me from looking for free alternatives..... (gimp photo editor for example)
                  Bark like a chicken!

Comment

I love theGIMP. It's a wonderful alternative for thos 95+% of people -- myself included -- who wanna be able to make image edits, but don't need the more esoteric options available in Photoshop.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                      That, and there were numerous threads from people *bragging* about where they downloaded it from, begging for same, asking for help burning the game, etc...Also, it was released in Japan 7 months prior. The importers had already had their way with it ^_^
                      That kind of surprises me. I'd heard of the Assassin's Creed leak, but Square is so paranoid with its security that they don't normally have the issue. Shame too, as I liked that one. Oh well, they got my money at least.
                      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Mine, too, GK -- shiny matte metal box and the bigass guide bundle (mainly for the artwork), as well ^_^
                        Last edited by EricKei; 07-30-2009, 10:49 PM. Reason: it wasn't that shiny, come to think of it

Comment

Working...
                        X