This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really? REALLY?

I forgot about this little incident from the restaurant the other day.

I was standing by the computer, putting in an order when rounding the corner comes a little guy - I'd say MAYBE 12 - 18 months old...hauling butt through the restaurant...no one around him in sight!

Now, this restaurant has wooden, albeit fake - but still - wooden floors with a nice shine to them. Little guy had nothing but socks on. This is just great!

He was running laps around the dining room. Just giggling and running away. Servers with food and drinks in our hands didn't phase this little guy. I paused a moment to see - well, honestly, to see when he was going to bite it to see if THAT would cause these parents...if they were even in the restaurant - you never know - to come and collect their little poop bucket. He kept running...I had to get to work.

I come back out...he's still running...this time, he has what appears to be an older sibling running after him trying to catch him. So, mom and dad STILL not coming to get their child, but they send another running child after him. Oh this is just golden.

They are both doing laps around the dining room. I leave the area again. Come back out...just the toddler. This time, I see the offending table. Four adults, three kids. I notice the adults LOOKING right at their little socked cross-dining room runner and DO NOTHING ABOUT IT! A table next to them has now taken notice, so now you have other guests and us servers watching this child...some of us have stopped doing what we are doing just to be sure SOMEONE is there when/if this kid falls.

Thank god he never did! BUT - c'mon? Really? REALLY? Do parents really think this is a good way to handle their kids? Just let em run free...in bare socks, on a wooden floor, where hot plates and glasses with cold drinks are being carried by people who are looking ahead of them and NOT looking down at their feet where little toddlers can be seen cruising pamper style through the area?!?!?!?

Sheesh.
    "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Quoth friendofjimmyk View Post
    Do parents really think this is a good way to handle their kids? Just let em run free....
    Of course its a good idea! How else are they going to sue you for lots of money when one of your staff spills boiling hot coffee on them. Or when they fall over and crack their skull open.

If it was me - I would have politely advised the parents this was a restaurant and NOT a playground. - But thats just me
    "When did you get a gold plated toilet?"
    "We don't have a gold plated toilet"
    "Oh dear, I think I just peed in your Tuba"

-Jasper Fforde

Comment

Quoth friendofjimmyk View Post
      Do parents really think this is a good way to handle their kids? Just let em run free...in bare socks, on a wooden floor, where hot plates and glasses with cold drinks are being carried by people who are looking ahead of them and NOT looking down at their feet where little toddlers can be seen cruising pamper style through the area?!?!?!?

Sheesh.
      Only the bad ones do.
      "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Well, obviously the parents can't be bothered to realize the danger and the subtle glares! And heaven forbid you try to stop the child, since that could be construed as trying to hurt the little guy (I wanna spew even thinking I have to write something like that, I just know how SC parents will react sometimes)

I think a nice, LOUD exclamation along the lines of "Is someone missing a chiiiillllldddd?!? His running around is daaaannnnggggerrrouuuuussss!" Keep up with the missing child bit until the parents come running. Instead of directly faulting their parenting skills (which will cause severe backlash) or being confrontational, it will embarrass the guilty party into grabbing the kid. And if no one claims the kid, the police get called
        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

"Is there a Social Services worker in the house, please...?"

"For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
          X