Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you weren't such a ^#@%# I'd be more inclined to be nice.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you weren't such a ^#@%# I'd be more inclined to be nice.

So, another day at the green apron, getting so close to the end of my shift that I don't even mind the hole in my shoe, the aching in my feet, or the constant dinging of the drive-thru alert in my ear giving me a headache. An older lady comes up to the lobby register, and I figure, 'Hey, I'll take her, easy, quick, and no prob. then I'll go back to taking orders at the drive thru'. Ah, but as they say, if that were the case I would not be posting here.

Me: Howdy....kill me. Please?
    OB: Old bi...bitty.

OB: I want to put $5 on my card. *throws her keys at me*

Me: Ok. *wonders why we made key-chain sized cards for these creeps. Oh yeah! Because the suits don't have to deal with people throwing money at them, so why would they IMAGINE that they'd throw keys at us...Anyway, do that, easy peasy*

OB: Alright, now I want this *flops salad on the counter* and decaf with soy.

Me: *Oh boy, here comes the fun.* Sorry, but we stop brewing decaf after noon. *Don't ask me why, the suits are in-mother fracking-sane*

OB: What?! I go to green apron stores all over, and they all manage to make decaf for me!

Me: *And now you're dead. Pulling out the "other people do it for me card" AND the "you're an imbecile" tone of voice. Any nice thing I may have done for you is no longer an option. But, just to save my own ass I will give you this:* Well, I can brew a quarter batch, but since another batch is almost done brewing it will take about 5 or 6 minutes.

OB: I JUST got out of the hospital for a caffeinated blahblahblah *kinda' zoned her out. hehe* so what do you expect me to do?!

Me: *inner sigh and repeat above spiel*

OB: Well the, I guess that's what we're gonna have to do.

Me: *Do...not...call...her...a...bitch...to...her....f ace* Anything else?

OB: No. *takes off the lid to her dingy coffee cup*

Me: *rings it up. Now, I ring it up as a coffee in a personal cup*

OB: What?! It's never that expensive!!1!111 I told you it's a refill! I went to another green apron store this morning *It is now 2 p.m* and so it's a refill!!!

Me: Sorry, but company policy says that you have to be here in the store within the hour, and then it's a refill. *Completely true. Now, if someone is nice I will give them the refill price, no worries. But for her, to hell with her.*

OB: WHAT?! No, I'm a travelling nurse *Bullcrap. I forget exactly what it is you do as a profession, but what you are is another story* and I go to blahblahblahblahblah *Yeah, I did it again. Aint' I a stinker * and I ALWAYS get the refill price!

Me: Well, that's the policy they gave us.

OB: Well...*about ready to pop by the looks of it* if that's the way you want to do it, just cancel the whole thing!!!

Me: Ok. *Deletes the order. She stares at me, pissed and a little flabbergasted. I guess she expected me to cave in, get on my knees, and kiss her feet. 3 years ago, maybe. But now, no way in Hell.*

OB: And, you know what, *looks a little triumphant* I want your name!

Me: MorningChaser. *And then she deflates. I'm not sure if she was expecting me to quiver and wail in fear, but I suppose my quiet disinterest was not what she expected*

And so, the harpy sat at one of our tables and used our wi-fi. She came over the check the total on her green apron card, I'm supposing to make sure she had enough to be on it or to make sure I didn't somehow miraculously charge her for something.

For a while I was kinda' supercharged, but my nerves are easily rattled since I'm not used to having a backbone. I just refuse to be talked to like I'm a complete and utter moron when I've been doing the exact same thing for 3 years. I will not act nicely to you when you decide to attempt to make me your whipping boy, nor will I become your subserviant tool because you threaten to write in about me. Go right on ahead. I follwed company policies, I never raised my voice to you, and I wasn't sarcastic, mean, or nasty at all in my tone of voice (which anyone who knows me can tell you is nearly impossible when I'm in a good mood ).

Ah, but yes, just had to get that off of my chest.
    "Some wounds grow worse beneath the surgeon's hand; better that they were not touched at all."

Fully understandable. I tend to do the same in my own work. If you're nice and understanding with me, then even though you're supposed to call the help line first and I'm not supposed to work without a trouble ticket, I'll bend it and start on it since I know you're going to call it in for me before I'm done, and you get your problem resolved quickly. But, if you're an ass, whine about having to call it in in the first place, demand I fix it without one, get nasty with me, yell, scream, bitch, moan and start in with the 'I'm the customer you're the contractor you do what I say!' crap, then it's 100% by the book, procedure followed to the letter. I'm not even going to /think/ about your issue until I have that trouble ticket, because as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't exist until then. Like they say, you catch more flies with sugar than vinegar.
    A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

I suppose my quiet disinterest was not what she expected

When people yell at me, I do the exact same thing. I just stare at them, one eyebrow raised, and I let them rant & realize how they sound and finally calm down, then ask, "How can we fix this for you?"

If it's something beyond my capacity (I'm just a part-time cashier), I get a manager. I don't get paid enough / enough hours to really take it up the rear for people.
      Teach a SC to fish... and they will whine about you not catching, filleting, frying, and serving it up on a silver platter for them. - EvilEmpryss

Comment

Ugh, what a bitch.
        I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
        Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
        Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

I love when they ask me to cancel their order when they don't get their way. I always say "Okay" and smile. I get paid whether or not you buy something.

And I also love when they threaten to report me to corporate. I give them my name gladly. I know I'm not gonna get fired for following company policy, so give it your best shot.
          If you don't like my attitude, talk to the manager!!! Oh, wait, that would be me!!

Yes, I'm the manager. I'm also known as "the brick wall".

Comment

Quoth Camry178 View Post
            I know I'm not gonna get fired for following company policy, so give it your best shot.
            That very well depend on where you work >_> Depends on if they need someone to throw under the bus...
            Last edited by EricKei; 07-30-2009, 10:27 PM.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Ok.. so I've been sans green apron for a while now, but you stop brewing decaf after noon now?? I remember we'd get people getting decaf right up until closing time. I couldn't imagine the suck that would inspired. As for her refill complaint, I'd get that now and then, but there was always a MOD to shoot them down. I'm guessing you're a shift sup? The problem is, there probably is a store where they let her slide with crap cause she's a "regular." I hate that. Because then they go to another store and all SC hell breaks loose when you then follow the rules.. Like the people who get miffed when you charge for soy.
              I will never go to school!

Comment

Quoth Morningchaser View Post
                An older lady comes up to the lobby register, and I figure, 'Hey, I'll take her, easy, quick, and no prob.
                When I opened this post my eyes happened to fall on this sentence first, and I got a mental image...

Comment

Quoth BaristaTrav View Post
                  Ok.. so I've been sans green apron for a while now, but you stop brewing decaf after noon now?? I remember we'd get people getting decaf right up until closing time. I couldn't imagine the suck that would inspired. As for her refill complaint, I'd get that now and then, but there was always a MOD to shoot them down. I'm guessing you're a shift sup? The problem is, there probably is a store where they let her slide with crap cause she's a "regular." I hate that. Because then they go to another store and all SC hell breaks loose when you then follow the rules.. Like the people who get miffed when you charge for soy.

Yeah, we thought the EXACT same thing, just like when they got rid of Almond, Melon, Orange, and every other thing that was popular. Lots of complaining and whining, but it was at the very least 4-6 months ago that we did this so I wouldn't think I'd have to deal with it. And, no, I'm not a shift, but I have been at that store ever since it opened (3 years ago), and am pretty much considered to be a shift. I have no real authority, but I've become the go-to guy because I know how everything works and I absolutely refuse to take crap from customers.

And curse you VComps!!!! hahaha! Awesome. Although it did give me a moment of revalation in my head when my first thought wasn't "Ew! Old lady sex!" and was instead, "Ew! Girls!" hahaha
                  "Some wounds grow worse beneath the surgeon's hand; better that they were not touched at all."

Comment

Working...
                  X