This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's the LAW, lady!

You can tell people, but sometimes they just don't listen. About 3 years ago when I was working at the Service Inn I had a customer come in in the early afternoon. We had the rates on a little plastic card sitting on the front desk. This was officially against corporate policy, but it made it so much easier just to point at the card rather than haggle over the price.

Well she said that when she had visited with us previously, the rate had been much lower. This is true. The rate on the card was the "rack rate", or the non-discount rate of the day. AAA, AARP, and preferred customers always got lower rates. The businessmen who stayed with us every week got super low rates, their preferred rooms, late checkouts, and we even occasionally had cook-outs and other activities for them. This is because they were the bread-and-butter of our business.

I offered to look up her previous reservations and see what I could do about the rate - this is easy because I only needed her name. And I could offer her $15 off easy before I get to a rate that is too low for comfort. She is happy - until I ask for her I.D.

"I just want a room, I don't want to DATE you!" she angrily exclaims. I fix her with the Steely Eye Glare(TM) and lean back and point to the plaque behind the desk that states "Deep South State law requires positive I.D. for all hotel customers." Pointing stops arguments. There is a sign, there is a law, and although I may not agree with it I can certainly take pleasure in arbitrarily enforcing it.

Most people would just cough up the driver's license or passport or whatever but she's gonna take a Stand Against the Man. "I don't care about that, just do your job and give me a key!"

Ouch. This is where I take a look around - sweet! No co-workers in earshot! This gives me the license to say something I Really Mean.

"Ma'am, there are a wide variety of hotels up and down this street. If you are unhappy with our policies I am sure that any of them would meet your needs."

This may have hurt her feelings but it solved my problem because she handed her license and money right over, and more importantly, she stopped talking. One might speculate that she was suddenly compliant because it was raining outside and she had no car, or that she had already arranged to meet her trick at my hotel, but that would be slanderous. What's important is that she didn't complain to my boss or corporate, which means another satisfied customer thanks to Salesmonkey.
    "Them boys ain't zombies! They're just stupid!"

Quoth Salesmonkey View Post
    It's the LAW!
    That is your excuse for EVERYTHING, you lazy bum!

http://www.deezer.com/#music/album/100130
    Melody Gardot

Comment

or she was just a cranky old bitch who knew damn well that everywhere will require an ID.
      Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

Wow your being "mean" would be me being nice

Comment

If that was "mean", your "nice mode" must be positively sugar-coated

No worries, what you said was exactly what needed be said. It was hardly mean at all. If she had persisted in disobeying state law, there were many, many things you could have said to her that would qualify as "mean". Some of them would involve the police having a little chat with her.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

People, the op reads "say something I Really Mean" NOT "say something really mean".

Comment

Quoth Salesmonkey View Post

"I just want a room, I don't want to DATE you!" she angrily exclaims.
              Jeez. She's full of herself.

And unbelievably it happens everywhere, all the time. If you ask a customer for their PHONE number they think you're coming on to them.

SHEESH!

Comment

Quoth dbuzman View Post
                People, the op reads ....
                True, but we were referring to this:
                This may have hurt her feelings...
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth jjllbb View Post
                  Jeez. She's full of herself.

And unbelievably it happens everywhere, all the time. If you ask a customer for their PHONE number they think you're coming on to them.

SHEESH!
                  Or if you ask for a driver's license number you're gonna commit identity theft on them.

Too bad we don't have a tinfoil hat smiley . . . it would be so appropriate for this thread.
                  Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                  X