Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I somehow knew I'd get one my first day...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I somehow knew I'd get one my first day...

So seeing as my husband and I have decided we want a house, to afford kids, and to get around to taking a honeymoon someday (though personally I'd prefer the honeymoon first), I put myself back out in the workforce and now wear an orange apron with...well, more resignation than pride, I suppose. The head cashier is on vacation this week, so my new hire class is kind of getting haphazard instruction, which is fine with me because it's still instruction. Today two of us finished up what we could of the computer courses so they had us shadowing since there was no one to run us through the hands-on courses.

After a bit of watching, L has M and I do some scanning (though she couldn't let us handle cash)...enter a couple contractors with loads of lumber that come up as cut and needing to be measured.

Transaction one:
    M: *picks the guy's lumber to measure it*
    SC: Oh, it's six feet.
    M: Okay. *continues what she's doing, but falters when pinned by a nasty glare from the SC*
    L: *ignores SC, and helps M measure*
    SC: *is all puffed up now, tone nasty* And what did it measure?
    M: S-six feet...
    SC: I can't believe people these days... *goes into a ramble about honesty, yadda yadda*

What made it better was this transaction a few minutes later...

Transaction two:
    M: *sees measured lumber, hides behind me*
    Me: *picks up the guy's lumber*
    Guy: Oh, these are all 5 feet, except for that one.
    Me: *gives him a grin* I believe you, but I have to prove I know how to measure.
    Guy: *looks surprised, then grins back* What, did the last guy give you trouble?
    Me: Yeah, he threw a fit that we wouldn't take his word about the length of his wood.
    Guy: ...I'm sure there's a joke in there, but I'm going to keep my mouth shut.
    Me, M, L:
    It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Just for that last bit, you get to help me figure out how to get iced cappucino off an LCD screen, sweetie.

Don't you just love it when you come up with a totally awesome response? That was sweet.
    What colour is the sky in your world and how high of a dosage do you need before it turns back to blue? --Gravekeeper

Comment

Did you at least plank them for the laugh?
      "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
        Did you at least plank them for the laugh?
        And we all know what the classic Woody Wagon was actually for . . .
        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth mharbourgirl View Post
          Just for that last bit, you get to help me figure out how to get iced cappucino off an LCD screen, sweetie.

Don't you just love it when you come up with a totally awesome response? That was sweet.
          My first rule #1 violation! Yay!
          It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

Quoth LadyAndreca View Post
            Guy: ...I'm sure there's a joke in there, but I'm going to keep my mouth shut.
            Me, M, L:
            I'm sure there's a joke in this line as well.
            To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
              I'm sure there's a joke in this line as well.
              Yeah, but it's harder to swallow....
              I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

Perfect antithesis of SC:

I had a big birthday project to do for my wife. 1 x 2's are on sale so I got fifty of them.
                Woman at the counter is very apologetic about counting them, so I said "Please don't be. If I said fifty and it was fifty-five, that'd be bad. But if I said fifty and I only had forty-five, that'd be a heck of a lot worse - I'd only get four and a half shelving units built."
                (Not to mention paying for five I didn't get.)

I truly believe the people who object most to double checks are the ones with the most to hide. Kinda sad really.

Oh. And welcome back to the work world LadyAndreca.

Comment

Working...
                X