X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are you doing with those coins?

A desperate plea to all cash-paying customers:
    If your total comes to, say, $10.45, and you think you might have the 45 cents, let me know BEFORE I grab the twenty you've thrown on the counter and start counting out your change. I don't know what the hell you're doing, rummaging around in your pockets or purse. For all I know, you're just looking for a stick of gum.
    And if you DON'T have the 45 cents, or just don't want to give me any change, for the love of all that is holy, DO NOT take this opportunity to pull out a pile of coins and start looking through them for no bloody reason.
    I had a guy do this to me last night. He throws a twenty on the counter, and then pulls some coins out of his pocket and starts looking through them. I naturally assume he's looking for some change to pay me with. So I leave his twenty sitting on the counter and wait patiently. The next thing I know, he's yelling at me to hurry the hell up with his change, he gave me a damn twenty, what the hell am I waiting for, etc.
    I've been in retail for well over a decade, and I still can't believe how oblivious some people are.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

I hate, hate, HATE IT when they do that! For crap's sake, don't give me the notes until you've given me the change! I am not a bloody mind reader, I don't know what you're doing!
    God made me a cannibal to fix problems like you. - Angelspit, '100%'

I'm sorry, I'm not authorised to give a f**k.

Comment

I've recently got into the habit of trying to pay exact for items under £5. £3.52, I'll give you the copper too. I can't help but notice the amount of smiles I get when I do that.
      "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

Maybe they have a change fetish and MUST fondle their coinage to make themselves feel whole!
        "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Maybe they want to impress you with their strength. I mean, hauling lots of change isn't easy.
          Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth friendofjimmyk View Post
            Maybe they have a change fetish and MUST fondle their coinage to make themselves feel whole!
            Is that a roll of quarters in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Mike
            Meow.........

Comment

I get this ALLL the time. They hand me the note then start rattling coins and I wait then they stare at me blankly. One customer was really regular and kept saying after I've pressed the note tendered amount that she had the change. I told her it really doesn't help after i've taken the money. She understood nicely but others still do it.
              What really gets me is when I see them counting change to make the odd i'll give them up to a note EVEN when I tell them I have no notes. They insist and go mad when I give them a handful of £'s.

Comment

A manager did that to me a couple weeks ago. He was paying for an item that was $1.12 with a toonie... then when I punched it in he pulled out a quarter. I just gave him the $1.13 and he stared at the receipt confused, until I explained to him that 2.25 - 1.12 = 1.13
                free from the evil clutches of crappy tire

Comment

Just to clarify, for all our non Canadian friends, a "toonie" is our 2 dollar coin
                  "I reject your reality and substitute my own"....Adam Savage-Mythbuster

Must remember to stop using "brain of death" on slower morons.... I meant customers.

Comment

I always hand money to the person at the register. It's just rude not to do so.
                    The universe is mostly empty space, and so is your job. ~Dilbert

Comment

And to add to this rant about the change:

If you tell me that you have .09 cents, don't hand me a dime telling me it's .09 cents. A dime is still ten cents and yes, I do know the difference between .09 cents and a dime.

And who needs to go back to school to re-learn math?
                      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I hate that. You get the note off the customer and you've opened the till to put the money in and they say, "Do you need the extra *amount of change*?"
                        Some days I just want to chase the customer around with a big book with teeth. D:

Comment

Being given change after I've already entered the amount tendered usually doesn't bother me as long as they give me the exact amount of change. It's when they give you a quarter when they should have given you $0.08 that irritates me, not because I can't do math (I was an honors math student) but because it totally disrupts my rhythm. Plus, as has been mentioned, it confuses the customer because their receipt won't match what they actually did. More than once I've had someone come back in thinking i gave them the wrong change when I didn't, all because they gave me the coins late. Hey, YOUR fault, not mine, Mr/Mrs Cant Do Simple Arithmetic.
                          "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                            Being given change after I've already entered the amount tendered usually doesn't bother me as long as they give me the exact amount of change. It's when they give you a quarter when they should have given you $0.08 that irritates me, not because I can't do math (I was an honors math student) but because it totally disrupts my rhythm. Plus, as has been mentioned, it confuses the customer because their receipt won't match what they actually did. More than once I've had someone come back in thinking i gave them the wrong change when I didn't, all because they gave me the coins late. Hey, YOUR fault, not mine, Mr/Mrs Cant Do Simple Arithmetic.
                            I hate that, when they give a quarter instead of 10cents. With me, I am not good with math (different story). It happened once to me. They handed me like a $20, and the total was $9.12. So after I put in the $20, they handed me the 25 cents. Then ofcourse they thought that I cheated them.
                            Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                            San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Quoth DGoddess View Post
                              And to add to this rant about the change:

If you tell me that you have .09 cents, don't hand me a dime telling me it's .09 cents. A dime is still ten cents and yes, I do know the difference between .09 cents and a dime.

And who needs to go back to school to re-learn math?
                              I admit I do this, but I say "close enough, I'm not worried about the penny." It's faster for everyone involved.
                              The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Working...
                              X