Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ways to anger your bookseller (long, sorry)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Jester View Post
    Pardon me, but can you direct me to the bookstore in which said young lady works? Just out of curiousity, mind you.
    I don't know what she's doing these days actually, but she was one of the sweetest people I ever worked with. And cultured, too. She was originally from Biloxi, but grew up in Ankara, Turkey.

Quoth Jester View Post
    This made me laugh my silly little ass off. Literally. I no longer am a possessor of an ass. I am now sitting on my spine. No ass. Thanks to you.

Airport windsock indeed.
    That was a sight to see. You should've seen the look on that kid's face.
    Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

Quoth hauntedheadnc View Post
      That was a sight to see. You should've seen the look on that kid's face.
      Before, during, or after?
      "Time shall help me face my painful memories with indifference, and with more of it, I won't feel the need to face them at all..."

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
        In that case, 38) Do NOT come into my store with the tiny aisles, walk right up to the manga, and grab the newest edition of whatever series you've been reading, and plop down on our dirty, disgusting floor, blocking foot traffic, paying customers, and the like, to read. I will pick you up by the shoulders and throw you out of the store.

39) Same for a manga series you've never read that now has some thirty books to it, and attempt to read them all in one sitting.
        I'm not a bookseller, but as a customer, I see this all the damn time. If it's so good, how about you actually PAY for it and read it at HOME? Damn cheapskates.
        Everything I do goes through...

Think About It Central

Comment

Quoth hauntedheadnc View Post
          46. Do not meticulously comb the store for any book that might ostensibly contain an image of boobies -- including Dr. Susan Love's Breast Book and then remove said books from shelves, and proceed to meticulously comb through the books in search of the aforementioned images of boobies.
          Oh my gosh, we get this ALL the time! Photography books, art books, graphics design books, I mean places you wouldn't necessarily think of, these guys can sniff out boobies from a mile away. And then they hide the books where no one will ever find them, except for others of their kind. Which is okay, since no one will actually BUY these books so it's not like I'll ever need to look for them on the shelf.

49. DO NOT think that any of the following information about a book is helpful. I cannot enter any of these into my search program to help you locate a book:
          Color of book
          Picture on cover of book
          Size of book
          General location of where you saw the book six months ago or at another store(i.e. "Well, it was on a table near the front of the store when I was in one of your Texas stores a few weeks ago", and I actually got that exact information today. She had no other information on the book other than it was oversized and had writings by a bunch of western authors. Great.)
          Gender of author
          Occupation of author
          Number of kids author has
          The fact that the author has a spouse who has some sort of disease that you can't remember the name of
          Television show author appeared on a few weeks ago
          Only one word in the title, especially a very common word such as "she" (especially since if I tried putting in "she" I would also get every book with a word that starts with "she")
          A brief summary of what the book is about

50. If you know EXACTLY what you are looking for but don't actually know anything about it that will help me locate it, DO NOT get mad at me when I can't find it. If you wanted it so badly, why didn't you write down the title instead of memorizing the color of the cover?

51. If you did write down the title but left it at home, DO NOT come into the bookstore until you have the chance to go home and retrieve the title. Trust me, 9 out of 10 customers who say "I wrote down the title, but I left it at home. I think it was called..." have memories that have mangled the title so badly that either I don't find the book or only find it because I've worked there for 4 years and have a million titles floating around in my brain.
          Any fool can criticize, comdemn, and complain—and most do. ~ Dale Carnegie

Sarah: That's not fair!
          Jareth: You say that so often. I wonder what your basis for comparison is...

Comment

Quoth Kusanagi View Post
            Before, during, or after?
            While her parents were bolting from the store dragging her along by one arm, she had this sort of dreamy and quite frankly, stoned, look on her face. If you want my opinion, she had either wanted to leave or wanted something bought for her, her parents refused and she lodged a protest. They were leaving, and so she got what she wanted, and as far as she was concerned, God was in His heaven and all was right with the world.
            Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

I used to work at a B&N, in the area where they opened the first one that wasn't in New York...

52. Don't move the cafe tables halfway across the store. (I think there is a war story about that one.)
              53. You know that psych class experiment? The one where you sit in the cafe and methodically destroy a book that, unbeknown to the onlookers, you actually brought in with you, just to see how they react? Well, don't do it. It's been done, and you don't have the informed consent of your experimental subjects.
              54. We are not a research library. Although we don't mind if you wanna have a study group at the store, we do mind if you clear off one of our display tables to do it. Also, if you're doing research, we suggest you go to an ACTUAL library, where you can check out books.
              54a. No, you can't use the copy machine. In fact, I refuse to confirm or deny that we actually HAVE a copy machine.
              55. If you want free cheat codes for your games, I suggest you use the internet, rather than ripping open our polybagged game magazines with no intent to buy.
              55a. No, you can't use the copy machine.
              55b. No, I'm not going to loan you a pen and some paper.
              56. Actual quote from me: "Sir, we are trying to sell those books. We'd appreciate it if you wouldn't sit on the stacks." Response: "All the chairs are taken!" My response: See #54.
              thank you for shopping our Kmart

Comment

57. Please don't yell at me for not having the book you'd ordered over-the-phone and I allegedly left a message on your machine stating that it's in ... when you had really called our bookstore in San Diego (489 miles away) instead of the bookstore in Berkeley. And when you realize your mistake, the proper next step is to apologize for your rant, not continue to complain and blame me.

Comment

Working...
                X