Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I buy lotto tickets every once and awhile. Probably no more than $10-20. My logic being that havingan ever so slight chance is better than no chance. I have blown money on worse things.
    "Magic sometimes sounds like tape." - The Amazing Johnathan

Comment

Yet another LL update:

Today started like most other days at the store. Around 5:30, however, who should stroll in but The Russian Lady. She went at it for around a half-hour, buying mostly Ruby Red 7’s and Poker tickets, with a few others mixed in here and there. After spending somewhere in the neighborhood of $200, she finally left, with a couple of Poker tickets for the road. Around 15 minutes later, she returned, with $110 in winners, of which she gave me $5 as a tip She then spent around $40 more on tickets, after which she finally left (again).

But wait, there’s more!

Maybe 15 minutes later, who should show up but The Addict (just when I needed to start my usual cleaning duties, too). He went into his usual routine, buying ticket after ticket, and plowing all the winnings into more tickets (with the exception of his biggest winner of the night, a $100 ticket which he used to pay off part of an existing $300 debt...). I took note of how much he spent in cash and ticket winnings during the >45 minute ticket session, and came out to $608 (plus the $300 he spent to pay back his debt). Once the whole thing was over, I wanted to go in the back and scream in the worst way...
      -Adam
      Goofy music!
      Old tech junk!

Comment

Figured I'd resurrect this thread to announce the dubbing of yet another Lotto Lingerer: The Slowpoke. For the most part, this guy wouldn't qualify in the same way as the others, since he doesn't buy a whole lot of tickets. However, what distinguishes him from the rest of the pack is his speed; or, to be more specific, lack thereof.

He showed up yesterday, around 15 minutes after my shift began. He bought a few of our Bingo tickets; granted, they are more complicated than most of our other tickets, but I've never seen anyone (not even the Where's The Beef Lady, who usually shies away from them) take this long to play them. In the course of his visit, he bought maybe 10 of the Bingo tickets; however, it took him two hours to finish playing them!

As a stark contrast, during his marathon run, who should show up but The Addict. Even in the course of his usual gabbing with anyone who stops in, he still managed to blow through at least three times as many tickets as The Slowpoke did, in about a quarter of the time! He also managed to spend several times as much as The Slowpoke, but that's normal for him...

All in all, a frustrating two hours, especially since Sunday is the day when I usually tally up the leftover newspapers from the week for credit redemption. Fortunately, most of the rest of the day was fairly slow (as Sundays usually are at the store).
        -Adam
        Goofy music!
        Old tech junk!

Comment

Lottery

So this why they call lottery a tax for the stupid...
          ...but I'm a bastard and so desensitized to the scum of humanity that I'm immune to the Stun status effect.
          Quoth Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth Cesii View Post
            So this why they call lottery a tax for the stupid...
            My mom and stepdad say the same thing. I only buy one ticket a week myself, so I guess I'm only slightly stupid.
            Sometimes life is altered.
            Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
            Uneasy with confrontation.
            Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

I think it's only a tax on the stupid if you 1) spend more than like a couple of bucks in a week (getting one quick pick for the big pull, I don't find that stupid) or 2) buy lottery tickets instead of, say, food or housing. If you think you're going to win and are PLANNING on this money in order to pay bills / live / retire / ect., that's the tax on the stupid. If you play cause you have a few extra bucks that aren't going to anything else and, hey, if you don't play you CAN'T win, but you never actually EXPECT to win, I don't think that's stupid.

I think it's being crazily optimistic (c:
              "The things that I remember best - those are the things I wasn't supposed to do…."

I'm coming back as a Schooner Wharf Bar dog.

Comment

Me, I buy one or two a week as entertainment. I can get a *LOT* of fantasy out of a $1 ticket for a $58 million powerball draw.

Comment

I agree, Morgana.

If your entertainment budget for the week is $10 and you decide to spend some of it on scratchies or the nickel pokies, that's fine to me. Enjoying the fantasy of winning is just as valid an entertainment as enjoying a movie, and in both cases the money is gone afterwards.

I only see it as a problem if you blow your (hopefully realistic) entertainment budget and continue spending anyway.
                  Seshat's self-help guide:
                  1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                  2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                  3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                  4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Sorry

I am sorry I didn't mean to offend you all. Please accept my apologies...
                    ...but I'm a bastard and so desensitized to the scum of humanity that I'm immune to the Stun status effect.
                    Quoth Gravekeeper

Comment

I don't think anyone was taking major offence over it, Cesii. It's certainly not the first time such has been said, but it's generally accepted that those who dabble aren't daft, but those who are betting their rent for the month on the vague chance that they would be able to buy a house - now that's stupidity.

Rapscallion

Comment

Working...
                      X