Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For the Love of God, Avoid Burning Man This Year.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For the Love of God, Avoid Burning Man This Year.

Because at my Aid of Rite, I had one customer who came in and proudly announced he's going to Burning Man this year. The guy is Japanese-American, and carries around a cane that we know has a knife in it, because he told us that it does and honestly, the guy looks like too much of a badass not to believe him.

So as soon as he said he was going to Burning Man I said, "Oh, cool, that's awesome."

"Yeah, it is. I might bring a gun with me."

" Come again?"

"I might bring my gun with me. I called up the event planners and asked them if I could and they said no. But there's no actual statement in the rules that says you can't, so, I'll bring it."

So, not only is he going against the wishes of the event organizers, but he's bringing a gun and a concealed knife to an event deep in the desert that, to the best of my knowledge, involves living in a community and involves harmony and working together on a project?

I have no words. =/
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Umm...errrr...riiight.

Sounds like a close cousin of a guy who was trying to convince us he was a Wiccan Satanist.
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

He might be stopped at the checkpoints. The interesting thing about Burning Man is that they will prevent you from attending if you seem infirm without enough resources. Not enough food and water packed? No entry. Someone big enough of a fuck up to carry a gun and walk with a cane concealing a knife stands a good chance of being weeded out at the checkpoint.
      "No, I will not poop a shopping cart out for you." - Irving Patrick Freleigh

Comment

Quoth ralerin View Post
        Because at my Aid of Rite, I had one customer who came in and proudly announced he's going to Burning Man this year. The guy is Japanese-American, and carries around a cane that we know has a knife in it, because he told us that it does and honestly, the guy looks like too much of a badass not to believe him.

So as soon as he said he was going to Burning Man I said, "Oh, cool, that's awesome."

"Yeah, it is. I might bring a gun with me."

" Come again?"

"I might bring my gun with me. I called up the event planners and asked them if I could and they said no. But there's no actual statement in the rules that says you can't, so, I'll bring it."

So, not only is he going against the wishes of the event organizers, but he's bringing a gun and a concealed knife to an event deep in the desert that, to the best of my knowledge, involves living in a community and involves harmony and working together on a project?

I have no words. =/
        I do.

Burning Man is patrolled by federal officers, Nevada state patrol, Washoe County police, undercover cops, and more.

There -are- rules and regulations that specifically ban firearms from the event. And since the event is held on federal land, it's not a minor criminal offense if you bring a firearm to the event.

Then again, if he IS stupid enough to bring a firearm to the event and brag about it chances are there's enough people who are more than willing to radio it in that he'll get removed from the event in nothing flat and spend a nice chunk of time in a federal cell back in Reno at his own expense.

Truth be told, though, the event, back in 1996, had the world's only drive-by shooting range. But of course that was before fifty thousand people showed up. If he says, at the gate, that he has a firearm or fireworks, he'll get turned away.

http://www.burningman.com/preparatio...ibilities.html

Check #10.

If he goes, he read the back of the ticket.
        The back of the ticket has that rule on it.

But hey, if he's a fucking jackass who's ballswagging his way into a Rite of Aid to talk about how much of a badass he is with his gun and his knife, he probably won't think that rule applies to him up to the point he finds himself in the federal holding pen sans his gun, knife, and liberty to move about properly.

My personal favorite is hearing about the guys who try to sneak over the trash fence (think around 20 miles or so of orange deer fence that's continuous around the perimeter) and get busted by either Perimeter (guys who watch for sneakers before the LEOs can get to them) or the LEOs....

...who are using (I shit you not) ground radar. Okay, MAYBE not ground radar, but keeping in mind that a pair of night vision binocs aimed out across a flat desert pan that extends for 20 miles at the same elevation means you're gonna get seen regardless of WHERE you are or how much of a Chuck Norris ninja you think you are.

The other fun ones are the guys who try to sneak in without a ticket by rolling themselves up, border-crossing style, trying to get in through the gate with their buddies. The options are usually: Buy the ticket at the Stupid Sneaky Shithead price, OR get arrested for trespassing on closed federal land.
        Last edited by thedrunkenmonkey; 08-12-2009, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Sounds like an anonymous tip to the feds is in order IMHO.

Doesnt crimestoppers offer a reward for things leading to an arrest? *innocent*
          Do radioactive cats have 18 half-lives?

Comment

If he has a new hampshire concealed carry permit it may be legal for him to carry a gun there. They can't make up their minds about carrying on federal land though so it could change by then.

Comment

Everything Drunkenmonkey has said is spot on. You don't phuk around when it comes to Burning Man or you end up in danger of facing some not so employment-friendly charges.

A part of me wants this idiot to show up with his weapons so he can look like the fool that he is in front of everyone he's trying soooooo hard to impress.

CH
              Some People Are Alive Only Because It Is Illegal To Kill Them

Comment

Quoth jerkface11 View Post
                If he has a new hampshire concealed carry permit it may be legal for him to carry a gun there. They can't make up their minds about carrying on federal land though so it could change by then.
                CCW is considered VOID on federal all properties posted or not.
                Crono: sounds like the machine update became a clusterf*ck..
                pedersen: No. A clusterf*ck involves at least one pleasurable thing (the orgasm at the end).

Comment

Wraith they've been flip flopping on it recently I'm not sure what the current position is though. He probably doesn't have a permit though since I'm pretty sure you can carry in New Hampshire without one.

Comment

Since the EVENT bans firearms, it doesn't matter whether it's legal for him to carry normally.

If he walks out onto the land at any other time of year wearing a concealed carry permit, nobody will give a shit.

However, since the event is a PRIVATE EVENT held on public land (yep, that is the legal terminology) the event can and does ban all firearms regardless of whether someone thinks it's their right to carry.

Public land does not mean "all rules that apply to public land apply concurrently during the use of public land during an event".

If you don't have a ticket and you cross the orange fence, you will be arrested for trespassing on a private event by the BLM officers who manage the land. Chances are if you're stupid enough to try to bring a firearm in and get caught you'll get charged by those same BLM officers.

The knife, on the other hand, is pretty much a "yeah, so?" since one of the guys I know plays with razor-sharp machetes and flamethrowers - at the same time - while riding a unicycle.

Comment

Working...
                    X