X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crusty old man behavior

This comes from Santa Fe Circa 2004:

I was working at one of those all in one stores books/movies/cds where we had free coffee, and sweeteners galore for the customers, at the front checkout. I was there, being polite, doing my customer service duty. This "gentleman" walks up and asks me to read the ingredients off the Sweet and Low packet: Dextrose, saccharin, cream of tartar, .. etc.. (ew)

I read the ingredients off to him, and hand him back the packet.

Him: "Oh it has dextrose in it."

Me: "Well, dextrose is dextrose, I guess."

He comes back up to me and says, in a very condescending tone:

"Have you HAD an education beyond the sixth grade? If you did you would KNOW that dextrose is sugar. IIIII have a PhD and KNOW that dextrose means sugar."

Of course I'm appalled, shocked, taken aback, jaw agape, that my intelligence has been insulted. I respond, "Excuse me, sir. I have had a college educ..."

"Well I call it as I see it." Ouch.

I said, "No sir, you don't." He walked off in a huff, in his winter clothing, in the middle of August.

Maybe it's a regional thing? Because I took chemistry and don't recall hearing about dextrose. And I promise I've had more than a 6th grade ed-u-macation. I swear!

Personally, I think you should have responded with "I know you are, but what am I? I call it like I see it, too. And I can be just as childish."
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I know that if it ends in "ose" it's a sugar. I also know that sweetnlow is nasty shit.

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dextrose

Just because curiousity keeps getting the better of me...
        "IT stands away, interrupting himself from the incessant hammering of the kittens…"

Comment

So wait, he walked away and then came back up to yell at you?

That makes me wonder if he walked away, looked up what dextrose was (which is, in fact, a name for sugar) and then came back to rub his new found knowledge in your face?

Comment

Quoth jerkface11 View Post
            I know that if it ends in "ose" it's a sugar.
            All them sweet things: fructose, lactose, dextrose, glennclose...
            "What did you have for breakfast this morning? Carnation Instant Bitch?"
            -Eric Foreman That 70's Show

Comment

Quoth sprocket79 View Post
              So wait, he walked away and then came back up to yell at you?

That makes me wonder if he walked away, looked up what dextrose was (which is, in fact, a name for sugar) and then came back to rub his new found knowledge in your face?
              He had his back turned to me. I was about 4 feet away from him, behind the checkout counter. It still irks me to this day.

Comment

Did he expect you to call it sugar? And why couldn't he read it himself? And furthermore, why was he having a contest of intelligence with you? Methinks he's insane.
                "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth HeatherWolf View Post
                  "Have you HAD an education beyond the sixth grade? If you did you would KNOW that dextrose is sugar. IIIII have a PhD and KNOW that dextrose means sugar."
                  Quoth Food Lady View Post
                  And why couldn't he read it himself?.
                  If he had a PhD, he should have been perfectly capable of reading himself

I can think of worse things to have in a sweetener than dextrose, though. Check up on the ingredients in Splenda sometime >_> (chlorine derivative, iirc -- but it *does* indeed start out as sugar, technically...)

edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sucralose
                  Last edited by EricKei; 08-14-2009, 12:38 PM. Reason: linky? clicky!
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I get the feeling he was just looking for an excuse to be an ass to someone.

Comment

I can shed some light on this one.

Just because the ingredient starts out as dextrose (or any other sugar) doesn't mean it's still a recognizable sugar in the finished product, any more than a product made with high fructose corn syrup contains anything recognizable as corn. Dextrose is an ingredient in its manufacture, that's all. They start with dextrose and it becomes something-not-dextrose by the time they're finished.

See, and I didn't even need a Ph.D. for that. I wonder what his Ph.D. is in. Certainly not chemistry.

Comment

I'm a high school dropout, sir, and even I know that while dextrose is a sugar, it is not the sugar, which is sucrose.
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth StanFlouride View Post

Nice! my first LOL of the day

My Thanks
                          I used to be disgusted... Now I'm just amused

Comment

Quoth StanFlouride View Post

Xylose, Rhamnose,(yes they are real I work with them in the Lab)
                            Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth jerkface11 View Post
                              I know that if it ends in "ose" it's a sugar. I also know that sweetnlow is nasty shit.
                              You learn something new every day - I never suspected that nitrocellulose was a sugar.
                              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X