This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potato Lady

I'm eating crisps (best breakfast in the world, I know), and I remembered this one from a week or so ago. It almost would have made me laugh if she hadn't pissed me off so badly.

We had a sale on one of our bags of potatoes. Now, I'll be the first to admit that our signage system isn't the least confusing in the world, but it's easy to tell that a 10lb bag of potatoes isn't going to go for anything less than $4, much less $2.50.

This woman is being rung out and as the cashier rings in the giant bag of potatoes she looks up at the screen and practically screeches, "No, no! Those are supposed to be $2.49! Your sign over there above them says so!"

The cashier (C), turns to me.

C: Bubbles? Can you go check on the price of these? She says they're supposed to be $2.49, but that's not how they're ringing up.
    Me: Sure, why not. *heads over to produce, reads the sign and decides to say fuck it and bring over every type of bag of russets we have* Let's see which one rings up the right price.

We go until we get to a small bag of about five potatoes that are labeled "microwavable" (I'm honestly not sure whether or not that means it steams better in the microwave than other potatoes, or if they're just blowing smoke out their ass to sell something. My bet is on the latter). This bag says "Idaho" across the front, meaning they are potatoes from Idaho.

PL: Those aren't russets! They say Idaho on the front!
    Me: Because they're russets from Idaho, ma'am...
    PL: But it says Idaho!
    Me: Yes, ma'am. They're russets that were grown in Idaho. The label is just telling you where they're grown. *flips the bag over and points to where it says russets* See?
    PL: No! They can't be russets because it says IDAHO ON THEM! You know what, never mind. Forget the potatoes. I'll get them at *insert large chain store that opened about two years ago*
    Me: Alright, if that's what you want.

Potato Lady leaves and out of curiosity, I had C ring in the potatoes to check the price.

C: Huh. Whadda ya know... $2.49
    Me:

Now, normally I would put something like this under brain burps because, well... It was obvious she wasn't firing on all cylinders. However, she would have made me go back and forth until I found the damned potatoes that were for the sale price if I hadn't just skipped a step and brought them all. And then there's the fact that she was a bitch, and is every time she comes in. She ALWAYS threatens to take her business to the other store. Never does, sadly enough.

Oh, and the potatoes on sale? As I said, it's five or six potatoes in a long, thin bag. A 5lb bag of potatoes is only about $3.50, if I'm remembering correctly. So she could have paid a dollar more for what could easily come out to be two or three times what she would get at the sale price
    I have CDO. It's kinda like OCD, but the letters are where they should be!

After Tuesday, even the calendar goes W T F...

Quoth MelodiousBubbles View Post
    Oh, and the potatoes on sale? As I said, it's five or six potatoes in a long, thin bag. A 5lb bag of potatoes is only about $3.50, if I'm remembering correctly. So she could have paid a dollar more for what could easily come out to be two or three times what she would get at the sale price
    No, no, she NEEDS the smaller bag because they're, what? Say it with me, class:

ON SALE!
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
      No, no, she NEEDS the smaller bag because they're, what? Say it with me, class:

ON SALE!
      Yep...and those very words are what gets people SC's going "OMG I GOTTA HAVE IT OR I'LL JUST FREAKIN' DIIIIIEEE"
      I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
      Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
      Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth MelodiousBubbles View Post
        So she could have paid a dollar more for what could easily come out to be two or three times what she would get at the sale price
        But...but...that would be more money!!!!!
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Oh lord have mercy!!! LMAO!!!! Great story. It's amazing how dense some people can be.

Comment

I'd buy the smaller bag, but that's only because we use potatoes so slowly that a 5-lb bag would start growing in the cupboard by the time we got halfway through it.

Edit: Actually, no. I'd probably just buy loose ones so I'd only have the 2-3 I needed.
            It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

Idaho: not a potato. A state.

A state where they grow lots of potatoes. Idaho Gold, Russet, etc. Some people even live there, but I'm not sure why. Skiing or...something.

Comment

I Work produce

In Order for a Russet potato to be called " Idaho" It has to be sprouted in Idaho.
                A Russet potato sprouted anywhere else is a Russet
                The Pens 2009 Stanley Cup Champs

Listen to some Steely Dan Tonight its good for Ya

Il Son Patie

Comment

Quoth irateguy View Post
                  I Work produce

In Order for a Russet potato to be called " Idaho" It has to be sprouted in Idaho.
                  A Russet potato sprouted anywhere else is a Russet
                  Yes, but that doesn't make it any less a russet potato. It just means it was a russet sprouted in Idaho.

Comment

Quoth tropicsgoddess View Post
                    Yep...and those very words are what gets people SC's going "OMG I GOTTA HAVE IT OR I'LL JUST FREAKIN' DIIIIIEEE"
                    "No matter if the unit price is more than twice that of something slightly more expensive!!!eleventy!gecko!!"

Comment

Alberta - the place where Idaho gets their seed potatoes from.

I once worked on a potato farm. Yes, we sold seeders to Idaho.
                      "FUCK NO I DON'T WANT YOUR FREAKY ALIEN MOTHERSHIP ORANGES. " - Cookiesaur
                      ~~

Munkie's NaNo WC: 9648

Comment

Working...
                      X