Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The only good thing about SCs at the register...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The only good thing about SCs at the register...

There're no scissors around to tempt an annoyed employee.

The only tale I have from yesterday is that our security system freaked out and we were locked in the store for 2 hours. We couldn't get through to the emergency line of the security company and just ended up calling the cops to bust us out We broke into a CW's stash of hotpockets. Yeah, she should have known better than to leave them in the freezer. We did leave $4 in the box.

Today there were just a few SCs and one very confused lady.

Make sure I can't understand you before you insult me

Apparently some German tourists didn't like how things were done in the store and decided to call me a "stupid fat American." Yeah, this woman was well over 200 and she was picking on me? Of course it was said in German. My grandmother is one of those people who can speak perfect English but chooses to stick with her native language. I would have said something to them, but if they weren't brave enough to insult me to my face why should I care. Let them think they're oh so clever. That happened to my boss once. She's Russian but has lived here for so long that her accent is very watered down.

Ok, go stand in the big line, see if I care

SC walks in: Can I ask you a question? (I'm at the register)
    Me: Ok
    SC: Actually, I better ask a fabric person
    Me: Well...I am a fabric person
    SC: No, I think I'll ask a fabric person
    Me: She has a line, you could just ask me. I do both fabric and register.
    SC: I don't want someone who's going to go "uhuuhuhuhuhhhuhuh" (Looks like a retarded bull dog having a seizure)
    Me: Fine, whatever (SC goes over, butts in line and starts talking to CW who is obviously trying to keep track of how many yards she's counting out) Ma'am, please don't interrupt her. I offered to help, either come over here or get in line and wait your turn. (CW mouths the words thank you. Woman jumps in the back of line. I continue working on my planogram. 10 minutes later she asks my CW her question, and my CW immediately sends her to me, since I know more about fabric than her.)
    SC: WHY ARE YOU ON REGISTER THEN!
    Me: Miss, I told you I was a fabric person.
    SC: YOU SHOULDN'T BE ON REGISTER THEN!
    Me: Ma'am, please calm down. "CW" is training and doesn't have experience on register yet. I do BOTH register and fabric. We all eventually do everything.
    SC: YOU REALLY SHOULDN'T MISLEAD PEOPLE LIKE THAT! WHY AREN'T YOU ON CUTTING COUNTER?
    Me: Because I don't think it's safe for me to be holding scissors at the moment. (Yes, I actually said what I was thinking. SC asks her question and goes on her way)

I got an extra 15 minutes for my break

The amateur knitting league must be having my convention. As soon as I went on break a CW runs into the back and asks if any of us know how to knit. Of course I'm the only one. There're 5 women with questions, none of them know each other, and 3 of them are deaf. I happily showed them what to do and was even given a tip by 2 of the ladies And then I got an extra 15 minutes on top of the 15 I lost.

Very confused bi...I mean lady

We have to take lockdown tests every month (It's a fabric measuring test) and one of my managers had stopped by to take hers. She also works at Wegmans, a grocery store. She went off to her shift at Wegmans. I picked some stuff up on the way home from the grocery store. This lady walks up to me.
    CL: Where can I find the eggplants?
    Me: Um, I don't actually work here and I'm not really sure.
    CL: YOU REFUSE TO HELP ME!
    Me: ...I don't work here (Note that I'm still in my uniform. Both my store and the grocery store's polos are green, but mine is much much darker.
    CL: Where's your manager?
    Me: (um, here actually ) Miss, I'm just grocery shopping
    CL: You helped me before, I don't know why you won't help me now! (This is when I recognize her. She had been in my store just an hour ago.)
    Me: I think you're confused. I helped you at *fabric store*
    CL: I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS STORE IS SO G**D*** UNHELPFUL! (she storms off. I run into her 4 more times. Once in cheese, once in meat, once in vegetarian, and once in the pasta section. Each time she asks me questions and I direct her to an employee. They're all over the place. There're probably just as many employees on the floor as customers and yet she chooses to bug me. So now I had just checked out and I spotted my manager. I stopped by to say hello when CL comes up.)
    CL: WHAT THE! YOU BITCH! YOU LIAR! YOU LYING BITCH! YOU'RE JUST LAZY AND UNHELPFUL! (Points at my manager) SEE, I KNEW YOU WORKED HERE!
    Me: I WORK AT *FABRIC STORE*! LOOK AT MY SHIRT! STOP BEING AN IDIOT AND LEAVE ME ALONE! (I know, I lost my cool, but I wasn't actually at work...I was just a very annoyed person who was tired of being yelled at. I shouldn't have yelled while in my uniform, kinda like a fraternity member shouldn't misbehave while wearing their letters, but the uniform really looked nothing like this store's. The first time I said I had helped her at the other store we should have just both laughed about it and then got on with our lives, but no, she refused to admit her mistake.)

And now just a little rant cause I got my 7th call from comcast just now today. This is not about any employees, I wouldn't turn into a SC and rant about you. This is just about an annoying phone message mix up. I'm getting an on demand box, but 3 days ago when the guy showed up he apparently forgot what he was doing and didn't bring one with him? Ok, whatever, just come back. But since I live in the middle of nowhere they've yet to reschedule a truck to come out cause it doesn't fit on any rout. As long as it happens by this weekend I'm happy. So the big problem? Everyday for the past 3 days I've been getting robo calls wondering if my box is functioning. Well, I don't have a box so obviously no. I've gotten 26 calls so far about this. And each time I press 2 I'm just directed to an outsourced operator whose only real training is how to speak with an American accent and how to read a script. I'm never rude to them cause I understand it's their job and they obviously can't deploy a truck to my location. I've tried to get the calls stopped, but they don't and when I speak to comcast they just tell me they're working on it. I just pushed 1 on this last one. Yeah, sure, my nonexistent box is functioning properly. I'm sure everything'll be worked out soon. Installing a box is no bigee and I can surely survive without it.

Me: Because I don't think it's safe for me to be holding scissors at the moment. (Yes, I actually said what I was thinking. SC asks her question and goes on her way)
    I knew I wasn't the only one who let tidbits like that slip.

SC: (about the store music) I bet you get tired of hearing this bullshit all day.
    Nate: Oh I get tired of hearing something.

Comment

Quoth flutes_and_fabric View Post
      There're no scissors around to tempt an annoyed employee.
      At the fabric store I used to work at, the registers and the cutting areas were one in the same place...so scissors and box cutters were a plenty!

I love it when customers don't believe that you can help them. I wasn't great with sewing but i know decorating pretty well. I had one lady come up to the front for a question, look at me (I was 19 at the time) and ask for my manager since I couldn't help her. She didn't even ask the question! Just assumed based on my age. My AGM came up and the lady asked about coordinating fabrics for a baby room. My AGM pointed at me and told her that I was the best one to ask since I just recently decorated a friend's baby room. Don'tcha just love that look on their faces?
      Now, if you smell the roses but it doesn't lift your spirits, you're either allergic to rose pollen or you need medical intervention. ~ Seshat

Comment

Quoth Spork4pedro View Post
        At the fabric store I used to work at, the registers and the cutting areas were one in the same place...so scissors and box cutters were a plenty!

I love it when customers don't believe that you can help them. I wasn't great with sewing but i know decorating pretty well. I had one lady come up to the front for a question, look at me (I was 19 at the time) and ask for my manager since I couldn't help her. She didn't even ask the question! Just assumed based on my age. My AGM came up and the lady asked about coordinating fabrics for a baby room. My AGM pointed at me and told her that I was the best one to ask since I just recently decorated a friend's baby room. Don'tcha just love that look on their faces?
        Haha, that's great. Yeah, I love how they just assume. All my managers look/are fairly young, so people are never satisfied when we call one up. My managers pass me off to crochet/knitting questions all the time.

Comment

Quoth Spork4pedro View Post

I'm the youngest SL in my store (I'm only 20), and so I constantly have people insisting that there's no way for me to help and that they need a supervisor. I usually just smile, show them my badge and say, "I am a supervisor. Unless you would like a manager, I think I can help you just fine."

Some of the looks I get are priceless.
          I have CDO. It's kinda like OCD, but the letters are where they should be!

After Tuesday, even the calendar goes W T F...

Comment

Quoth flutes_and_fabric View Post
            Me: Because I don't think it's safe for me to be holding scissors at the moment.
            Brilliant. She must not have gotten it though. Otherwise you probably would have seen catbutt face and squeals for management.

Comment

LOL! Age isn't the only thing that can trip people up. Gender used to throw my customers for a loop:

SC: (walks into the welding shop, sees me, then does the neck-craning move looking for anyone else to talk to)
              ME: Can I help you?
              SC: (still looking around the clearly empty shop) Uhm, I need to get a part welded. Is there a welder around I can talk to?
              ME: (looking decidedly female, sitting at a welding table wearing a welding helmet, leathers, & gloves, holding the still-hot piece of metal I just finished welding) Yeah, me. How can I help you?
              SC: (in a completely astonished voice) You're a welder?

I about bit my tongue in half that day.
              Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

You're off the clock yet still in uniform and don't work at that store. I would have yelled at her too. You kept your cool but its hard to when talking to a wall!

Comment

Working...
                X