This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New years+ beer+ excessive use of force

Now I love my job for one reason. Sometimes when SC's don't get the hint I have permission to use XUF (excessive use of force)
    Now at bars this is almost a required as once people get drunk telling them to leave doesn't alway work. Let me just give some details first.
    We had a system of 4 codes for 'situations' code 1,2,3 and 4. Code 1 was an argument, nothing major just something that roamers could deal with if not busy. Code 2 was 1 on 1 fight, roamers respond. Code 3 was big fight all available guards respond and Code 4 was EVERYONE inside, massive brawl.
    ANYWAYS
    We got a code 3 on new years eve. Myself and probably 15 other guards (they had just tossed someone else while I had been checking the parking lots) We all go running in the 'losers lane' exit for the dance floor. One of the guys in front of me gently shoves a guy out of the way. (Lets call him DI) DI doesn't take too kindly to being pushed out of the way by a bouncer on the way to a big fight in a packed bar/dancefloor.
    So DI takes the only course of action a drunken idiot can take. He hauls off and punches the next bouncer in the face. Dumbest move you can make in a bar that has 30+ guards/bouncers, made only worse by the fact that we were already responding to a situation. Next 3 guys and myself try to take him outside only to get punched ourselves. Well no matter how bad an SC is they can always lose some common sense, especially when beer is involved.
    Now we tried to talk him out ("You're done, go home") we'd tried dragging him out, and he was still trying to fight the bouncers... so we threw him to the ground so we could carry him out by the hands and feet (always gets a laugh from the people waiting to get in). Well this guy decides he isn't going quietly. (side note, glass service and thrashing around on the floor is a bad combination) Well after close to a minute (guessing) we finally get him under control enough to carry out, I love pointing it out to them that if I drop their arms they'll hit their head on solid cement and they never care.
    We finally get him outside and set him down. He's all cut up from fighting us on the glass covered floor so I kinda felt bad for him until he started threatening us... We got called back inside, me and one of my regular co-workers stay behind to make sure this guy gets off property. He hits another guard and gets restrained AGAIN. We start walking him off, me keeping my hand behind his back to keep him walking despite him saying he's going back in and he's going to "beat us up" (paraphrased) if we don't let him back in. He decides that he's not going to take a 5'8" 250 pound scruffy looking 22 year old (me) walking him off property. He turns around and punches ME in the face.
    Here's a tip when dealing with guards in my company. None of us care we get hit, but we get furious when you hit one of our co-workers. The guy with me? 350 pounds 6'5" easy. He calls in another code 3 (with half our guards already busy tossing yet ANOTHER person) and the guy gets put on the ground AGAIN! (this makes 3 times for those of you keeping track) This time the inhouse (we were contracted to provide extra security for the bar) don't take to kindly to a THIRD guard being attacked by a guy who looks like he boxes for a living and introduced him to the joys being dragged across a snowcovered parkinglot. After 1 and a half HOURS of talking, asking, ordering and fighting with DI we finally get him to the property line... and rudely shoved him over, all while listening to him threaten to take all 7 of us on. My co-worker however was seeing red by this point and walks him 2 blocks away from the property before walking back. DI however decides to head back after my buddy is out of sight. When he's about back a OPP cruiser happens to drive by and see's him in the middle of the street. cruiser pulls a U turn hits his lights and takes the guy away. This is one example of a rough shift, but it's also an example of a fun shift. That shift was the shortest 8 hour shift I've ever had
    Telling a cop, "My taxes pay your salary!" is dumb.
    Telling a cop you demand your shit without paying taxes is even more dumb.
    -Automan Empire

A fellow bouncer!

Good story
    Last edited by Rebel1012; 08-27-2009, 05:28 PM.
    We are the willing, led by the unknowing, doing the impossible, for the ungrateful, we have now done so much, for so long - for so many, with so little, we can now do anything with nothing!!!

Comment

Woah. That is one exciting night; almost wish I was there. Sucked you guys kept getting hit. Hope the health insurance is decent?
      "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

After seeing where you're from the only thing I could think of while reading your post was, "Welp, that's The Hammer for ya!"

Comment

Ugggh, one of the bars in my city is like that on almost a nightly basis.

I was there once. I do not care to go back. You've got the blacks in one corner, the Mexicans in another corner, the Asians have their own corner and the last corner is for the whites. If these groups interact, it's to start up a fight. When you see a flashlight beam shining on a person, you know to watch out because the bouncers think that person's going to start something.

There was a stabbing there not too long ago, and you read or hear about fights there almost every week.

And the guy who owns the place ran for mayor last year.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Just had to comment on this as it reminded me of a story my dad once told me.
            My dad's a correctional officer, and many years ago when he was working at Maplehurst (I think that's where he was at the time, though I was 8 at the time, so forgive my memory) they had a guy in. He was a bouncer that was arrested for using excessive force. Threw a guy out, did some damage to him, and the guy pressed charges for assault. My dad told him that one of the things they're taught is that, no matter what you have to do to an inmate to keep them in line, always refer to it as "sufficient force". "Excessive force" is ... excessive.
            This bouncers only mistake was that he referred to what he was forced to resort to as "excessive force", it went on the police record, and basically was treated as an admission of guilt. "In your own words, it was excessive. Welcome to prison."
            Toss 'em out, break their arm, throw 'em under a bus, whatever you do, act like it was exactly as much as you needed to do and never more.

Comment

Be glad your bar isn't around here.
              We got a new District Attorney who is out to make a name for himself. He has started closing down bars with too many "problems", ie fights, shootings, customers selling drugs, customers using drugs, etc...

So far he has closed 4 or 5 of them in the last year. He gets one closed down and the trouble moves over to the next bar. And it doesn't matter if the crime is done inside or out in the parking lot. After a few problems he goes to court to get the order to close the bar.

One of the first to be closed is finally allowed to reopen BUT it can only be open from like 2pm until 9pm. How can a bar make any money closing at 9pm?

Comment

Actually it was in Kitchener. But yeah, that bar had REALLY bad inhouse staff. Not bad as in they didn't do their jobs or watch eachothers backs but they were... bad

We had a problem with this one asian group. Every week they would be in a fight with another bunch of people, and it was never them that started the fight.
                First night we were there 5 minutes in they tossed an asian guy and said (blanking the PG-13 material)
                "Get the $#%^ out of here you damn %@*&^" Not a good thing to do. Excessive force and racism= lawsuit

Other highlights for day 1
                5 min after THAT incident a limo pulls up (some girl celebrating her 19'th) Everyone piles out already wasted. This guy (who looks like a PRO football player) goes behing the limo and pissing on the wheel. (you know you're done when) His back is to the parking lot... duh. We were told ZERO tolerance on pre-drinking. SO being the first night at a new venue/client/whatever 'I' said that nobody (not even the 1 sober friend) was allowed. Now by 'I' I mean me, which concidering that out of the five of us subcontracted to this bar 3 were supervisors and the 1 other non supervisor had seniority on me. The guard wearing the supervisor pants (my hero, I'll do a post on him sometime) asks me why, I show him the puddle and he says "awsome" before telling them they can't come in. Arguement ensues, finally they realize we aren't budging on it and the b-day girl goes off on the guy who happens to be her boyfriend. Well after she tells him he has RUINED her birthday he decks her. our 3 BIGGEST guys (all 3 were over 300 pounds) jump him trying to hold him against the limo while I try and pick the b-day girl (who has NOW had her day ruined) The guy must have been roid raging because we barely could hold him down. Eventually we deal with everything and I think to myself "that's our excitement quota for the night." Not so... I'll post the last thing next time I'm on
                Telling a cop, "My taxes pay your salary!" is dumb.
                Telling a cop you demand your shit without paying taxes is even more dumb.
                -Automan Empire

Comment

Working...
                X