This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Don't Really Want To Know Your Family's Life Story

This would have gone to General Work Chat or something, but apparently this lady raised a stink at the service desk before doing the rest of her shopping.

I'm manning express to cover a coworker's 15-minute break, and I've just started the break when Life Story Lady comes up with her order. She explains she wants a running subtotal so she doesn't go over the amount of money she has on her <Store> gift card.

Our registers don't automatically give running subtotals, but it's not too difficult to do one, just hitting "Total" twice after each item, to show the total with tax included, and then open the register back to scan-mode. I scan her things, keep the subtotal going, and when all's said and done, she has just enough on the card to cover it. While doing the running subtotal, she's even handing me the items one at a time after looking at the total. Nothing sucky about this, it wasn't busy, and she clearly had the items prioritized, so if we hit the magic number early, she had the things she needed most already rung up.

As she pays for her stuff, she starts to go on about how she was glad her math skills were up to snuff, since she'd been trying to keep track of how much it was likely to cost in the end. I nod and agree that not everyone does that so much anymore. Just being friendly and making some small talk.

Well, LSL then starts talking all about how she never was able to do well in Trig at school because of a bad teacher, but math was always her strongest suit, and I again just nod in appropriate Friendly Cashier fashion and agree that "Bad teachers can make an easy subject hard."

LSL continues on, talking about jobs she's held, and then moves on to talk about her family, commenting that one of her sons -- very bright and smart, by her account, with multiple degrees -- had "thrown it all away" to become a cop in the NYPD and was trying to get into the FBI. I, personally, have all the respect in the world for people who decide to go into law enforcement, and said so.

LSL continues to ramble on, talking about her other son, about this that and the other, clearly trying to make a Sob Story, but honestly, nothing about it seemed that sad to me, even if it might have been to her. And her order had already been finished and paid for. She had the receipt in her hand, but spent the next ten minutes after that talking at me.

Maybe it was my fault for being Friendly Cashier Guy, and maybe I didn't exude the right amount of "Dear god, make her go away!!!" But my coworkers finally seemed to notice, and paged the express cashier back from break, and about the same time, another customer came up, which finally nudged LSL into leaving.

As I headed back up to the regular registers, EC comments, "What did she say?" I respond, "Her life story, apparently." EC nods, mentions she'd raised a stink about a return earlier, and was glad to see her leaving.

That wasn't a fun night, either. I had to go out and do carts by myself later (JB is on vacation this week), and they wouldn't let me go out half an hour earlier than usual to make up for not having JB there. It was warm, sticky, and mildly unpleasant (like a party guest who won't go home), and I didn't have enough time to get flatbed carts brought up, or neaten the lot to my satisfaction. Then I had to drag two carts of damages to the back, come back up to drag a pushcart with car batteries to the back, and then put the jewelry covers on, which is a bit tiring to me. Work wasn't finished when I got done with all that, but I told my supervisor, "I did carts by myself, took damages back, took those batteries back, and did jewelry covers. I'm going home." She agreed.

Sigh.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

I would get that all the time at the gas station. There was just something about a girl cashier late at night that made people want to tell me everything they had in their heads. I would nod, smile when appropriate and general sympathize until they went away. It was still weird though. I always wanted to ask these people if they knew what a diary was.

Comment

It's sad when a person can't tell the difference between "I want to be your friend" and "I'm only being polite to you because they pay me." I hate when that happens but at the same time I feel sorry for them because they must be kind of lonely
      !
      "For truth is always strange; stranger than fiction." -- Lord Byron

Comment

Quoth Mnemjian View Post
        It's sad when a person can't tell the difference between "I want to be your friend" and "I'm only being polite to you because they pay me." I hate when that happens but at the same time I feel sorry for them because they must be kind of lonely
        I try to think that, but sometimes it's not loneliness, it's just who they are.

Comment

What i hate most about those situations is that I usually get in trouble because either my managers or even my coworkers assume that i'm slacking off and chatting away while I should be working.

All the while I give these people MULTIPLE hints to go away and i'll even be in the process of walking away and they'll continue yelling their story at me and calling for me to come back. I'm just too damn polite to tell them to shut the hell up and let me get back to work and so I look like a bad employee because of it.

grrr. just thinking about this is getting me all worked up.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
            It was warm, sticky, and mildly unpleasant (like a party guest who won't go home)
            Terry Pratchett FTW?

Comment

Quoth the_std View Post
              Terry Pratchett FTW?
              Correct. Now. Which book?
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

It's not just the service people. I seem to attract people who want to tell me their life story no matter where I am at. It is worse when they want to follow me around the store to keep telling me all about their life. I would think me walking away would be a huge hint to them to shut up and leave me alone, but nooo!
                Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                  Correct. Now. Which book?
                  Ooo... I want to say Mort, but I honestly don't know. I've read all of them too many times to keep context-lacking quotes separate in my head.

Comment

We had a semi-regular customer at Store2 who would call looking for all kinds of antiques books (price guides and such). She was very nice and not sucky at all as a customer, except that she would just go on and on and on about her life and her books and her collectibles and etc. And she was almost always on the phone, so there were no visual cues for her to realize that we had other things to do (since she couldn't see the line forming at the info desk). At least when she came in to pick up orders and ended up chattering away at the info desk, we would be repeatedly interrupted by other customers or the phone ringing and she would eventually realize that we didn't have time to chat.
                    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth aj_prettiful View Post
                      I try to think that, but sometimes it's not loneliness, it's just who they are.
                      With some of our older customers, it's a combination of lonliness and the need to vent, same as us. Some folks are stressed out due to family issues and need a shoulder to lean on at times.

At my store, it's at times like free therapy. I have an idea how hard it is to take care of a family member with health issues . . . I've seen and been around several of the people my Mom took care of over the years when she was working as a home care nurse (and now she's physically disabled herself because of all those years she didn't take care of herself.) It takes a bigger toll on the caregiver than the patient . . . I'm a caretaker of sorts myself, so I can relate pretty well.

So yeah, we all need to vent. We all share our stories and believe it or not, it helps to just know we're not alone in our situation.

I know sometimes it's frustrating hearing some folks talk on and on about their families, but myself I really don't mind it. In fact, I look forward to seeing the regulars come in that I've gotten to know somewhat . . . they make my day go better and, in their own ways, do make up for the SC's I do run into (and they're not as many as there used to be, but I still encounter one from time to time.)
                      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                        ... make up for the SC's I do run into (and they're not as many as there used to be, but I still encounter one from time to time.)
                        Been thinning the herd, have we?

Killing an anarchist or a pacifist SC or EW should not be defined as “murder” in a legalistic sense. The offense against the state, if any, should be “Using deadly weapons inside city limits,” or “Creating a traffic hazard,” or “Endangering bystanders,” or other misdemeanor.
                        However, the state may reasonably place a closed season on these exotic asocial animals whenever they are in danger of becoming extinct.
                        - Lazarus Long
                        Last edited by dalesys; 08-29-2009, 08:31 PM.
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                          Been thinning the herd, have we?
                          I'll never tell.
                          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

It's such a fine line, isn't it?

I'm pretty outgoing, so the customers who engage me in small talk in my res center are a welcome break from the SC's or the ones that are too ignorant to string together a coherent sentence.

Unfortunately, the occasional one lapses into TMI territory and I've never been good at extracting myself from those types, especially on the phone. In person, I have decent enough body language that most people can seem to tell when I've hit my 'chit-chat' limit, but it's tougher on the phone, I think.
                            "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Working...
                            X