Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If the prices are too high, at least be honest about it.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If the prices are too high, at least be honest about it.

I once was a waiter in a rather expensive steak place. The food was worth every penny!

One night, I experienced this:

A middle aged couple comes in, is seated and given our menus. I greet them and ask if I can take their drink order. I see that they are looking at the menu rather than me and that their eyes are a little too wide.

"Give us a minute," the man says.

"Of course, sir," I reply, "I will be right back with some hot bread." I know what is going on with them, but never expected what was coming next.

I return with some fresh bread and butter. The man now has a nasty look.

"Do you serve mashed potatoes?" he asks.

"No, sir," I respond. "We have baked potatoes, steak fries, sweet potatoes, rice pilaf and fresh vegetables, but we do not serve mashed potatoes."

Immediately the man slams his menu on the table and stands up. "WITH THE PRICES YOU CHARGE FOR YOUR LOUSY STEAKS," he YELLS for the whole dining room to hear, "YOU OUGHT TO SERVE THINGS YOUR CUSTOMERS WANT TO EAT!!!!"

He then grabs his wife by the arm and pulls her out of her chair as he starts to stomp to the lobby.

"Really," she says to me as she starts to leave. "Your prices are outrageous."

I so wanted to direct them to McD's down the street, but just smiled and wished her a good night.

Another table started snickering at them as she left. The table told me that no one could miss what was behind that act.

I had other patrons who quietly got up and left when they saw the prices. I certainly could empathize with them as I could not afford to eat there either, so I would act as if nothing had happened. Putting on such an indignant tirade, though, just made obvious to everyone what this couple was trying to cover up about their finances.
    Last edited by South Texan; 08-30-2009, 02:12 AM.
    "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
    .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

goodness. the one time my hubby and I were at a place where the prices were simply beyond our finances, when the waitress came by to get our drink order, we quietly informed her that the prices were a little higher than we were hoping for, apologized, and left. Quietly.

That couple was ridiculous, and did indeed make sure everyone in hearing range knew they were REALLY leaving because it was too expensive. If you leave quietly, people may assume you can't afford it, but they may just as well assume there's a personal issue or something.. >.>
    "If looks could really kill, my occupation would be staring" Brand New - I Will Play My Game Beneath The Spin Light

Comment

Personally, if I wanted a face-saving way to leave a restaurant, I would just pull out my cell (as though it had vibrated), look at it as though I was reading a text, and bingo. A nice easy way to say "i'm sorry for the inconvenience, unfortunately we can't stay to eat after all"
      With so many people waiting for the message that their (or a loved one's) transplant is now GO, that would (to me) be the automatic assumption when someone gets a text and has to leave.

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
        Personally, if I wanted a face-saving way to leave a restaurant, I would just pull out my cell (as though it had vibrated), look at it as though I was reading a text, and bingo. A nice easy way to say "i'm sorry for the inconvenience, unfortunately we can't stay to eat after all"
        With so many people waiting for the message that their (or a loved one's) transplant is now GO, that would (to me) be the automatic assumption when someone gets a text and has to leave.
        Some friends and I did something similar. We had no idea the place would be so pricey. We sat for a bit, enjoyed our drinks, then explained we'd been "called away" -- paid up for the drinks (maybe left a little something for the bread) and left.

Another time, my husband and I were at a place that we didn't realize was so spendy. We decided to order one or two appetizers to share. The waitress noticed our wide eyes and hushed tones, and brought us the bar menu -- still a little pricey, but in our price range. And the food was absolutely delicious -- we've been back for special occasions.

Comment

If they really wanted mashed potatoes they could have scooped out the potato from the inside of their jackets and mashed it.

Here in the UK, restaurants tend to have the menu posted somewhere outside, so customers can make an informed decision.
          "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth Miss Fatale View Post
            Another time, my husband and I were at a place that we didn't realize was so spendy. We decided to order one or two appetizers to share. The waitress noticed our wide eyes and hushed tones, and brought us the bar menu -- still a little pricey, but in our price range. And the food was absolutely delicious -- we've been back for special occasions.

I've done that one before, see the prices and change the plan to drinks and an app, and you could tell the food was worth the price!
            I used to be disgusted... Now I'm just amused

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post

Here in the UK, restaurants tend to have the menu posted somewhere outside, so customers can make an informed decision.
              See, I couldn't handle that. I can't even watch the food network without feeling the dire need to go grab a tasty sammich or something (my gym is cruel and has the food network on the tv all the time. Nothing worse then trying for 45 minutes of cardio with food glaring me in the face). I'd have a drooling problem if I spent too much time there...
              "I'm working for popcorn - what I get paid doesn't rise to the level of peanuts." -Courtesy of Darkwish

...Beware the voice without a face...

Comment

Same here. Though along King St. restaurants go one step further and have employees outside holding the menu, there to explain it to anyone interested.

It's an... ok-ish idea, I guess, but the look on the faces of the people standing outside always says the same thing, "I hate my life, please pretend I'm not here."

Comment

in the US you mostly see that in touristy places i saw it alot in san diego but i know alot of restaurants near me that would allow me to see their menu ahead of time.

Comment

Huh. I've seen quiet a few places with outside menus, or at least the specials; that at least gives you a price range. And if you eat a certain food like steak a lot, you have a general idea what the different meals cost. I like that idea of getting 'called away.' That man was a real wanker!
                    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
                      in the US you mostly see that in touristy places i saw it alot in san diego but i know alot of restaurants near me that would allow me to see their menu ahead of time.
                      There are places like that here, usually at the outdoor malls where people stroll by. I think the idea is to attract people in with the menu's, not to discourage with the prices.

I recall back before I was dating my wife, after hitting a movie solo, I wandered down the open-air portion of the mall towards the food court to get something to eat. I stopped at one of the newer restaurants and perused their menu, but the prices were out of my budget for the day. I noticed a girl on door duty holding the door open expectantly and I waved her away with a "Sorry, but your prices are a bit out of my range right now. I'll have to come back next week to check you out."

I did too. The food was well worth the price. Mmmmmm.....

Eric the Grey
                      In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

i wish more places would post their menus/prices; then people can make choices without the public outbursts that disrupt the time of others.

i love that about europe; posts at every place, making a decision is a no brainer. i gotta go back, i really do.
                        look! it's ghengis khan!
                        Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Generally I find that restaurants have their menus for display outside, or you can go in and ask to see one and decide if you want to eat there.

Comment

Quoth NightWatch View Post
                            See, I couldn't handle that. I can't even watch the food network without feeling the dire need to go grab a tasty sammich or something (my gym is cruel and has the food network on the tv all the time. Nothing worse then trying for 45 minutes of cardio with food glaring me in the face). I'd have a drooling problem if I spent too much time there...
                            'K, that's just mean.

I use the gym at work, and the TV in front of the treadmill I usually use is always on CNN en Espanol. The others are on ESPN and CNN (in English).
                            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                            X