This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV Through the U-scan

I didn't witness it. I was just the person who had to take the TV back to electronics. Basically someone grabbed a spiderwrapped TV and tried to take it through the U-scan. They pretended not to understand the U-scan clerk when she told them they couldn't ring a TV up here. Eventually they went to her desk and she rang them up through the register up there. They didn't have enough money on them.

We think they were trying to pull something. Either with another barcode covering the TV's or with another method. Weird.

That reminds me.

Things my customers have tried to take through self-checkout:

1. Water heater
    2. Lawn mower
    3. BBQ grill
    4. Cartload of lumber
    5. 300 lb. of cement mix
    6. Wicker sofa

C'mon, people. Think!
    My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

Comment

I think if I were a customer in a store at the time somebody tried to pull that kind of stunt, I'd be sorely tempted to point and laugh very loudly at the stupid would-be shoplifter.
      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth flybye023 View Post
        C'mon, people. Think!
        They're customers. It's not their job to think. Based on some of the stories I've read around here, we're supposed to be doing that FOR them.
        Last edited by EricKei; 08-31-2009, 01:47 AM.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Self-checkout is a great concept...

...until you try to implement it in our imperfect world, and therefore start to run into all the little problems. Finland doesn't seem to have introduced it yet.

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post

...until you try to implement it in our imperfect world, and therefore start to run into all the little problems. Finland doesn't seem to have introduced it yet.
            Congratulations. You've just jinxed a whole country.

We get people taking big-ticket (not to mention physically big) objects through the self-scan all the time. Since in most cases, it's not physically possible to scan them on the kiosk and/or place them on the belt, the self-scan attendant will get the hand-scanner to ring it through for them.
            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

My store doesn't have SCO's yet, but quick question: do jobs get cut because of it/them?

with most of the SCO's I've seen though, things like TV's and all that CAN be scanned through the SCO's, but the attendant usually keeps a close eye on them.
              The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I have taken big things through the Wal Mart self checkout all the time. Usually bookshelves. Never tried to use a different barcode or anything though. Never had a problem.

Comment

Quoth ReverendBSB View Post
                  I have taken big things through the Wal Mart self checkout all the time. Usually bookshelves. Never tried to use a different barcode or anything though. Never had a problem.
                  Some stores have wands at their SCO, like IKEA and Lowes, so that you can self-scan bigger items. All self-scan computers that I've observed have a place to type in a UPC that I've used at stores like Wal-Mart and HEB (groceries) for bigger items.

That isn't to say that the OP's customer wasn't sucky because it's pretty obvious that if they could "afford" it when they scan it, but suddenly can't when a worker does it, they were pulling something. They should know that the people working the self-scan section really take note of anyone (including me) using the wand or typing in the UPC.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                    Since in most cases, it's not physically possible to scan them on the kiosk and/or place them on the belt, the self-scan attendant will get the hand-scanner to ring it through for them.
                    Not to seem dense, but what happened to just typing in the barcode? So long as you get that right, there shouldn't be a problem, right?

Oh, wait, I have more than half a brain and can read a barcode and type it in on the touchscreen without screwing it up. It might be asking a bit much from the typical SC.
                    Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
                      Much like Communism. Good in theory, bad in reality.

Comment

Well, some people will try to cover the barcode over with another barcode that they cut out so it looks like they rang an item up. It's what the attendant thought was happening. The thing about TVs is that some of them you have to scan the serial number. I don't know if the U-scans are set up in that style like regular registers are and even if it prompts the customer for the serial number, it would be very hard to scan.

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
                          Not to seem dense, but what happened to just typing in the barcode? So long as you get that right, there shouldn't be a problem, right?
                          You would think....

But no, this is apparently an extremely difficult feat.

For example, where I work, in order to claim warranty repair on item, you must be able to provide us with the product number.

This product number is listed on the item itself in clear, easy to read text in a prominent location next to words that say product number.

Customers have maybe a 50% success rate of typing this in accurately.

Comment

What I find funny is that self-checkouts (at least at my store) have an employee at the podium watching as everything is rang in. Somehow I'd think we'd notice if the $200 TV rang up like a $5.00 DVD. Oh wait, that assumes my coworkers aren't two registers away flirting with another cashier or texting.

Even so, we'd be checking your receipt as you left the store. Actually saw a guy try that one day. He went through the self checks and "accidentally" forgot to ring up his TV. Funny he decided he didn't want to "bother waiting in line again" when he was caught. Even though someone was right there to ring him through, no waiting required.
                            A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I don't know how the self-scans are set up at everyone else's stores, but at the wholesale club, the customer cannot just pull up the keypad on the touch-screen to enter the barcode manually. The self-scan attendant has to scan their authorization into the kiosk and pull it up that way.

I'm guessing it's done that way to prevent someone from manually entering the code for a similar, but cheaper, item and sneaking out without paying full price.
                              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                              X