Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The cinema uses safety knives similar to these: http://www.paramotorclub.org/catalog.../MB-knife1.jpg

They have a tiny little circular blade. They cannot cut anything, least of all boxes.
    "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth Nohbody View Post
      As a stocker, I have to add an "A-FREAKING-MEN" here.

On a related note, even though they're technically not allowed, I've been cut fewer times by the "non-safe" box cutter (example here) than the safety box cutters (example here) we're supposed to use.

The few times the non-safe kind cut me, it would've happened the same with the safety kind, as the events happened when I had the cutter open for use, and didn't watch the other hand's location closely enough.
      I'm still sad they banned us from using those skinny little boxcutters. I kept using mine until somebody finally noticed and made me use one of the new ones.

The new cutters have an awkward guide along the top and tend to "skid" more than the skinny one ever did.

Plus the skinny ones were a breeze to open and shut. Bang the end against the box to expose the blade, cut, and then bang the blade against the box to close it again. No need to use my thumb to open and retract the blade. Changing blades is also a lot easier on the skinny one.

I still have a few of those old boxcutters around, including one for a product called Grizzly, which I believe is a kind of chewing tobacco since there's a surgeon general's warning on it. Just found it lying around one day and decided to adopt it.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

The worst cut I've ever gotten at work was when I dropped a ceramic plate...swept it into a dustpan...then set the dustpan on a counter and reached over the counter to take a receipt from a customer with a question. The scar that's left is about 2" long, but the original cut was nearly 6" long and very shallow. The only way to bandage it was to tape gauze to my arm, leaving me dealing with many jokes about looking like I'd been in a war for a week.

I joked once when I worked a temp job in a mail room that my hands looked like I'd dipped them in a blender, I had THAT many paper cuts and torn nails. I've also NEVER worked ANYWHERE where a cut would get infected so fast! I'd say at least a quarter of the cuts I got there got at least to the pink-and-puffy stage--and I got at least one a week, often more.
        It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
          I still have a few of those old boxcutters around, including one for a product called Grizzly, which I believe is a kind of chewing tobacco since there's a surgeon general's warning on it. Just found it lying around one day and decided to adopt it.
          Lol, that is exactly the type I use, and yeah I agree, these kind are the best, only time I managed to cut myself with one, I was stupid, the safety-cutters... only reason I haven't is because I don't use them after nearly going all emo kid with one because it decided to cut the box after a lot of trying.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
            I'm not sure how you would really go about cutting yourself with the little razor sleeve cutter. There's barely enough of it to hold for use as is.

I much prefer the heavier type, myself, as I get things open a whole heck of a lot faster when I don't have to do weird hand contortions just to bring enough leverage to bear.

^-.-^
            As I said at the end, not paying attention to where the other hand was.

As for ease of use, my primary use is cutting tape. In spite of the name "box cutter", I don't often use it to cut boxes. Not exactly something that requires a whole lot of effort, even with a dull blade.

Changing blades is also a lot easier on the skinny one.
            Yeah, that last point is definitely a plus. Likewise that the sleeves are a heck of a lot more convenient for sticking in a pocket when you don't need it. On my work pants when I'm stuck with using the safety cutter, the two most worn spots are the knees (for stocking the low shelves, not for performing oral favors on people... no matter how much they think I should do so ) and over the pocket where I stick the cutter when I'm not using it.

I still have a few of those old boxcutters around, including one for a product called Grizzly, which I believe is a kind of chewing tobacco since there's a surgeon general's warning on it.
            yup

(You have to pass through an age check to get through to mygrizzly.com, which is probably too much work for a quick reference check. )
            No matter how low my opinion of humanity as a whole gets, there are always over-achievers who seek to surpass my expectations.

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
              The cinema uses safety knives similar to these: http://www.paramotorclub.org/catalog.../MB-knife1.jpg
              That, my friend, is a glorified safety letter opener, not a box cutter of any stripe.

How the heck is anyone supposed to be able to cut sticky tape holding packages closed when the plastic cover bit gets stuck? And don't even get me started on what you're supposed to do with a package that's completely sealed all the way around.

I've actually tried using my lesser letter opener to open boxes, and it just fails utterly.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                That, my friend, is a glorified safety letter opener, not a box cutter of any stripe.
                Yep. Using my door key is better.
                "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Ooh, cardboard cuts. How I loathe thee.

Gotten a few in my time at the wholesale club. I don't do a whole lot of stock work (mostly due to my switching to almost exclusively closing shifts), but I do still get them, and they sting like hell.

Never thought of the Scotch-tape idea to bandage them, though. I'll have to try that if it happens sometime in the next couple of weeks.
                  PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Nohbody View Post
                    On a related note, even though they're technically not allowed, I've been cut fewer times by the "non-safe" box cutter (example here) than the safety box cutters (example here) we're supposed to use.
                    I'm still sad they banned us from using those skinny little boxcutters. I kept using mine until somebody finally noticed and made me use one of the new ones.
                    I have several of the cheap safety box cutters in my tool box, and they aren't all that safe. The blades don't like to stay in position. But then I found a ready good box cutter knife. It is so much better than any other box cutters I have used.
                    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                    X