This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cereal Killer

Reminded of this last night by a friend who works in a hotel and had a very similar experience to one I had back when I worked in a hotel restaurant three years ago.

I was covering breakfast, which was a buffet. One of the foodstuffs we provided was bowls of different cereal, one of muesli, one of cornflakes, rice crispies etc. I was refilling the hamper of assorted jams and marmalade when I saw an oldish man use the serving spoon to take a bite of the muesli, chewed it a few times, made a face, and then REPLACED the spoon in the bowl, complete with a whole host of old man germs.

I'd only been there a week and rather than confronting him myself, collared the manager. He asked the man to explain himself, whose answer was that he'd wanted to try it before committing himself to a whole bowl. Why he didn't use one of the hundreds of cereal spoons laid a foot to his left, god knows. Then he could have taken it with him and not risked spreading the plague. End result? Several pounds of muesli in the bin, and because we weren't expecting a delivery until the afternoon, two hours of breakfast duty having to tell irate guests that they would have to have cornflakes instead.
    Saying I'm "turning down a sale" and thinking I give an airborne fornication – GUILTY – Irving Patrick Freleigh

Hee.. When the guests complained I would have eyeballed the gentleman and told them "We don't have them because SOMEONE decided to lick the serving spoon and replace it in the bowl."
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

eeww I would stated loudly "Thats disgusting!" right at him and try to get management to get him to pay for the whole bin.

But what's muesli?

Comment

Quoth Caffienated_Caramel View Post

But what's muesli?
        Sort of like granola. Usually has dried fruit, nuts, whole grain cereal pieces and flakes.

Comment

Odd, every hotel I've been in has the little boxes of cereal lol

I guess I just stay at cheap hotels /shrug
          Last edited by Taubin; 09-02-2009, 07:50 PM. Reason: Typo
          I pirated a copy of Linux and nobody cared

Comment

Quoth Taubin View Post
            I think this story is the reason why...
            !
            "For truth is always strange; stranger than fiction." -- Lord Byron

Comment

Quoth Taubin View Post

I guess I just stay at cheap hotels /shrug
              All the hotels I stayed in during vacation had the cereals in big containers with scoops, as in the OP.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

My college cafeteria had a whole wall of cereal dispensers...they were the kind with a dial on the front that you turn and the cereal comes out the bottom...so no one could touch it.
                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                  My college cafeteria had a whole wall of cereal dispensers...they were the kind with a dial on the front that you turn and the cereal comes out the bottom...so no one could touch it.
                  Mine kind of work the same way, except you put the bowl under the dispenser and push a little lever back, and the thing shoots out cereal.

They're kind of handy, until you realize the students have horrible aim and half the container's on the counter, floor, etc.

Comment

Working...
                  X