X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth EricKei View Post
    BLOOD...well, anything...
    How about just Blood? Wonderful shooter back in the day based off the Duke Nukem 3-D engine. Had some great one-liners and level designs. How can you not love a game that quotes both MacBeth and Evil Dead in the same level? Shame the sequal didn't live up to the origional.
    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Cassandra View Post
      I inform mom that the first scene involves throats being slit. Now mom is arguing with this 8 year old about what games he can actually get. This boy stands in the middle of the store and screams at the top of his lungs "I am 8 and I love to kill people! I love to shoot people in the heads! I want a game I can kill people in!"
      I had this same arugument with my son over GTA for years. Honestly I know this is a bad mom thing, but I did let him play it when we went to visit his cousins...twice a year.

He didn't scream he wanted to kill people, I got "MOM AAAAALLLLLL of my FRIENDS have it", I held firm. I didn't care who had it and who didn't. I did not cave, after all I am not his FRIENDS mommy...as I pointed out very clearly.

He picked up a clue from his sister and started working on his dad. He ended up with the game last year for his 12th b-day ... played it all of 2 months and was done. He and his buddies will still pull it out every once in a while but not very often and never when I am around.
      Tamezin

Comment

If I could put the reaction I get from most parents into words, it would have to be:

"It's just a video game, it's harmless. Who cares what's in it?"
        "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Eh I thought the very first GTA wasn't that bad. My Mom watched me play for a bit and just sighed at how many ways I made my character die. Death by tank was so much fun.

But when GTA 2 came out I thought HEY better graphics. Mom played it for a bit, gave me a look and let me get it. Still all I did was torture my own guy. Who cared about the missions?

GTA3 was a 'eh' from me. I wasn't into it anymore. By that time I was torturing Sims for quite awhile.

That was one rule my Mom had. If she wasn't allowed to play it then I wasn't. If she couldn't get past the blood/gore/language/ect... then I wasn't to play it in her house. *shrugs*

Of course this is the same lady who, at one time, could snipe like no other.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
            Of course this is the same lady who, at one time, could snipe like no other.
            Nice. And can I say, a fairly good approach too. I think more parents should have to play the games they get for their kids. And not just the gory ones, either.

Actually, my ideal situation would be this: anyone buying a game for someone else has to play it for 15 minutes before it'll be sold to them. It would probably cut down a lot on both kids getting M rated games from random relatives, and the purchasing of shovelware by the clueless.
            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Until the graphics got better, I could never play first person shooters. I would always get nauseous as I was playing them. Sometimes that still happens but not that much.

Although it's wierd because flight sims are no problem for me.

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                To bad there isn't a game that features Al Gore. Or is there?
                An Inconvenient Game?
                The Hunt for Manbearpig?
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                  How about just Blood? Wonderful shooter back in the day based off the Duke Nukem 3-D engine.
                  I loved that game! I still play it once in awhile, but each new version of Windows makes it more of a challenge to get the damn thing to run. Under Win7, the only way seems to be thru DOSBOX.

Quoth mikoyan29 View Post
                  Until the graphics got better, I could never play first person shooters. I would always get nauseous as I was playing them. Sometimes that still happens but not that much.
                  Same here. I used to get it really bad when I started playing Doom. The really fun part was, for the longest time I had no idea it was the game that was making me sick. I thought I was coming down with something.
                  Sometimes life is altered.
                  Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                  Uneasy with confrontation.
                  Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                    I loved that game! I still play it once in awhile, but each new version of Windows makes it more of a challenge to get the damn thing to run. Under Win7, the only way seems to be thru DOSBOX.

Same here. I used to get it really bad when I started playing Doom. The really fun part was, for the longest time I had no idea it was the game that was making me sick. I thought I was coming down with something.
                    It was Castle Wolfenstein for me. So I never tried Doom. Next game I tried was Dark Forces (the first star wars one) and that made me nauseous. So I never tried again until Operation Flashpoint...that one was fun..but not as fun as Ghost Recon.

Comment

The gaming convention I run the computer gaming room for was just last week, and you should see how bloodthirsty the kids are. Oh, and the trash-talking!

We actually kick the kids out at 10pm and let just the adults stay. It gets soooo much quieter.

Generally speaking, however, most kids know the difference between real and play long before they ever get to a point where they can actively play video games and understand what's on the screen. Heck, even a lot of animals know the difference.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

My eldest is nearly 11 now and she has seen me play GTA and medal of honour games and knows that it isn't real. She's never been interested in actually playing them though.

Comment

Working...
                        X