This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Labor day lamentations

Le sigh...Labor Day is a sham "holiday" if there ever was one. At least if you're in retail. Today was forecast to be the second-busiest day of the week and it was pretty crazy all day. I guess it's just another day I get to labor for all the schmucks who actually got the day off.

First off--I got to start the day by spending half an hour trying to convince store manager that the SKU for one of our bedroom nighstands actually was the one I was telling him. Apparently some guy wanted to buy it last night, but the person functioning as manager last night couldn't find the SKU for it, so she told him to come back today after we had it sorted out.

Seriously, this isn't as hard as you're making it out to be.

Then--get to the backroom and find the bedroom dresser that's been purchased and returned a shitload of times is now on hold--for the same employee who keeps holding things and not purchasing them in time, because he'd rather spend all his money on lottery tickets. It even looked like he wrote up his own hold form. He isn't supposed to do that.

Carryouts were through the roof today, and I ended up doing most of them, thanks to the lazy schlub working on the floor who refused to answer them or help. I was supposed to re-organize the furniture backstocks after I finished auditing pull tags. That didn't happen today.

And lastly, my brain was just about to commit sideways on me because I had to spend close to 15 minutes explaining to a woman that the card table and chairs set advertised at $49.99 only came in charcoal. We sell that set, along with another one, plus tables and chairs in others colors individually. Again, not as hard as it was being made out to be especially when the signing is very clear that the charcoal set is the only one at $49.99; the set in the buff color is more expensive, and everything else has to be purchased individually. Stupid lady is stupid.

At least the Mexican guy purchasing a bunk bed with his son gave me a bit of a smile. The son was all over the place, gibbering various things in Spanish, but yet somehow it was all so damned cute. Dad did a pretty good job keeping his kid under control while trying to help up the bed, and then a different one when the first one turned out to be defective.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

my sincere sympathies. I avoid all stores possible on holidays!

Comment

So sorry you had to deal with that, Irv. I saw a carry-out being done when I left the big red bulls eye store after a quick stop this afternoon and thought of you. It looked like they'd had to take whatever it was out of the box to fit it in the vehicle! Aye...People are crazy, I tell ya!
      "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

You have my sympathies, Irv. Here's a drink on me.
        I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
        Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
        Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

I went to the movies today. Parking lot looked crowded but inside it was dead.
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

As far as I go, in Australia, nearly all the non-essentials are closed for the day, with the essentials remaining open, but the workers get paid public holiday loading.
            I've done the movies from time to time on a public holiday and they are busy, but not so busy that you're waiting in line for hours.
            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Oh, and I almost forgot about the couple of crotchety old skinbags who pissed and moaned at me because they wanted two of a certain kind of barstool (they're all buy one get one free), we only had one of that stool in stock, and weren't going to get any more in because that particular style is evidently going to be discontinued.

I offered to send them up to the service desk to have them see if any other stores had this stool in stock. They argued I should do it for them. Right, because it's not as if the service desk has one of the few phones in the store that dials out, it's not as if that isn't part of the service desk person's job, and it's not as if I have other things I need to get done today that I can sit on hold and wait for another store to find this barstool and hold it.

Seriously, go take out your false teeth, put them in backwards, and bite yourself in the neck.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth BrenDAnn View Post
                So sorry you had to deal with that, Irv. I saw a carry-out being done when I left the big red bulls eye store after a quick stop this afternoon and thought of you. It looked like they'd had to take whatever it was out of the box to fit it in the vehicle!
                That may have been my store; I suggested my CWs cut open the box for one of those modular sofas. I saw at least 4 go through the front lanes in an 8-hr shift, but 1 headed back to the back room, which reminded me of Irv.
                "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                  Seriously, go take out your false teeth, put them in backwards, and bite yourself in the neck.
                  *snrk*

No matter how low my opinion of humanity as a whole gets, there are always over-achievers who seek to surpass my expectations.

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
                    my sincere sympathies. I avoid all stores possible on holidays!
                    Vot ees thees "holl-a-day?"
                    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                      Vot ees thees "holl-a-day?"
                      It was supposed to be a helliday, but they mis-spelled it.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                      X