This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inspired by VRS - I ask the same thing

Reading this thread by VRS remided me a story from about 15 years ago.

One of my first jobs was to manage a modest resort in southern Alberta. We had campgrounds, RV lots with full hookups, and river front Cottages. The cottages went for an insane rate I always thought, and that is what seems to bring out Homo Entitlus Whorus Sapiens in droves. For some reason, whenever a vacation, etc is a 4 digit amount, the EW's seem to think that they should be granted special status.

River Front does have an extensive beach, and we try to ensure the cottage has privacy on beach, but on peak times, even their beaches can get a little packed. Also, in Canada, ANYTHING considered to be waterfront is crown land. So even though you own the land that is waterfront, you do not own the beach, nor the waterspace. </bs>

SC= You know
    Me=

Me: Tyvm for calling valley resort, this is Q, how may I help you?
    SC: Yea, I am in cabin 5, and there is a bunch of people on MY fscking beach!
    Me: Well ma'am this is a resort, and with the tempurature pushing 35 degrees, the beach is rather full today. We make every effort to give you more privacy, however we cannot guarantee your exclusive use.
    SC: I don't care! You get someone down here to get rid of this riff-raff! I paid $2000 for this vacation, and I cannot believe you would allow fscking people to just take over my beach.
    Me: Ma'am, you paid that rate for use of the cabin, and all amenities, not for exclusive use of the beach.
    SC: Whatever. These are tresspassers, and if you won't do something about it, I will!!!
    Me: I'm sorry you feel that way Ma'am, but...
    SC: (click)

I was about to inform her as to the laws with waterfront, but of course she hung up. Jebus, I was starting to get that sinking feeling in my gut, but I thought whatever. If she makes an ass out of herself, it will be her folly. Life went on, and back to the grind I went. In comes a Police Constable to the office. I thought they were setting up for a checkstop (To nab drunk drivers) and were just checking in.

Cop: So I hear you are having problems with some people tresspassing?
    Me: Un, not as far as I am aware.
    Cop: Oh, we got a call from someone complaining that people were illegally on the resort.
    Me: ok, I think I know what is going on. (So I tell him the story above)
    Cop: didn't you tell her about rule of waterfrontage?
    Me: She hung up before I got the chance.
    Cop: You mind locking up here then, and we'll go down and see what is going on.

So the Constable and I head out for the other end of the resort. as we approach the cabin, we hear screaming. Lots of people screaming. So the cop heads out to see what is going on. When I look over the beach, I see SC running after people on the beach with a baseball bat. This lady is swinging with all her might. All the while screaming, "This is my fscking beach I paid for it!!! Y'all tresspassin' on my property!!! Get out, or I'll kill the lot of ya!!!!!" Cop is on the radio calling for backup, then assesses the situation. He finally decides that he can take her down without having to have backup there, so he pulls out his baton, circles around to her rear so she can't see him coming. He takes off, and BOOM!!! A tackle worthy of an NFL highlight reel, and the SC is face down. Oh, boy, did she lose it. She was able to squirm out from under the cop, grab her bat, and was about to swing it at the cop. She stopped though, as a Glock 9mm was aimed right at her chest, and she was given 2 options. Drop bat, or be dropped. Finally, she was arrested without incident, and was taken away. She faced charges for Assault, Aggrivated Assault with a weapon, Uttering Threats, Assault of a Peace Officer, Attempted Murder, Criminal Negligence, Criminal Negligence causing bodily harm, Mischeif, Disturbing the Peace, and Littering (This one made me laugh).

The most laughable part was the judge took the most condescending tone with her at sentencing to fully explain waterfront law so that even a toddler could understand. It was then, that all concerned got a genuine apology from her, and she finally showed remorse.

The following year, we demolished or sold the cabins, and expanded our RV lot.
    Windows Operating System is an oxymoron."

Oh, You want instant Gratification? Go f*ck yourself then!
    I found the problem. /dev/clue was linked to /dev/null

Thread made me proud to read it. *salutes beach jockies everywhere*
    SC: "Are you new or something?"
    Me: "Yes. Your planet is very backwards I hope you realize."

Comment

Well I hope she is having fun in her jail cell now
      https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
      Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Kind of ironic that increasing the trailer lot helped to END that kind of behavior.
        "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
          Well I hope she is having fun in her jail cell now
          Surprisingly, by Canadian Justice standards, her sentance was rather harsh. She got 15 years, but we have a faint hope clause in our Criminal code that allows for parole to be granted after 7 years served. She was released after the 7 years. I did see her at the Parole hearing, and what a difference the grey bar motel can make. She was soft spoken, empathic and kind. Thank goodness she rehabilitated, and not got worse.

Comment

35 degrees...Isn't that a bit cold for the beach?

Wow....all of those charges....

Comment

That's 95 degress F to us Americans.
              SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
              SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

Quoth mikoyan29 View Post
                35 degrees...Isn't that a bit cold for the beach?

Wow....all of those charges....
                Not in Celsius, I think.

Assault, Aggrivated Assault with a weapon, Uttering Threats, Assault of a Peace Officer, Attempted Murder, Criminal Negligence, Criminal Negligence causing bodily harm, Mischeif, Disturbing the Peace, and Littering
                Long lists of charges are ALWAYS more fun when you tack on Littering at the end.
                "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

wow that seems kind of a harsh sentence for some mild threats of violence. i mean did she really nail anyone with the bat?

maybe i'm just desensitized from all the rich people getting off so easily.

Comment

She might not have actually hit anyone with the bat but it wasn't for lack of trying! It sounds like her full intent was to clock some people.

Comment

Quoth Qaeria View Post
                      ...Mischeif, Disturbing the Peace, and Littering (This one made me laugh).
                      If someone pisses cops off, oftentimes they will tack on minor charges just to be petty. Not that they make up the charges, mind you....just that they find ways to charge the culprit with as much additional stuff as possible, just to return the favor, as it were.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                      Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
                        She might not have actually hit anyone with the bat but it wasn't for lack of trying! It sounds like her full intent was to clock some people.
                        Unfortunately 5 people sustained injuries from the bat attack. One was hit in the head so severe that the victim was in Intensive Care for 6 months. That is where the attempted murder charge came from. Our Criminal system is similar to the UK, in that the Crown Prosecutor is the one, in the end that charges a suspect. Police can only recommend charges for things that they know to be, and can prove is a criminal offense. at the time of her arrest, the charges were just Assault on a Peace Officer, and Aggrivated Assault with a Weapon, and the Littering.

Cops don't string a mass amount of charges up here to just be petty. The prevailing thought is to charge with as many offenses possible to practically guarantee a conviction. The littering citation was done because she took the bat to everyone's picnics and beach gear that she could see, and the beach was an absolute disaster.

Still, it proves a point not to piss off law enforcement too much.
                        Last edited by Qaeria; 09-09-2009, 09:43 PM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

I think this was the first SC thread that I can truly say that justice was served!
                          I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                          Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                          Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Quoth Qaeria View Post
                            Unfortunately 5 people sustained injuries from the bat attack.
                            Oh jeeeeesus I didn't realize that. So she DID clock some people.

Well in that case then I don't think the sentence was too harsh at all......and it's good to see she came out of there a little more contrite.
                            Last edited by Ree; 09-10-2009, 05:11 AM. Reason: Trimmed quote

Comment

35C is frigging HOT and unless there's a breeze coming in off the water, even on a still day, thats not accounting for the humidity, which could make it feel even hotter still.
                              "FUCK NO I DON'T WANT YOUR FREAKY ALIEN MOTHERSHIP ORANGES. " - Cookiesaur
                              ~~

Munkie's NaNo WC: 9648

Comment

Working...
                              X