Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

They apologized and compensated me, even though it was my fault?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They apologized and compensated me, even though it was my fault?

This is something that happened to me only hours ago, and while it was nice to get something free for no real reason, it also makes me think it's sad that some business are so scared of upset customers that they'll apologize and offer compensation when it's clearly not their fault.

I decided to stop by Wendy's and pick up one of their jalpeno cheddar melts for lunch. The guy working the window handed me the bag, and then the drink.

Now, here I should probably point out that I'm apparently having a clumsy spell this week. Just last night, I somehow managed to puncture a can of beer that I was trying to put in the fridge, by bumping it against the side of the door, causing it to spray all over the kitchen. Didn't think I even bumped it all that hard, but somehow it still punctured.

Well, this time, I did something similar with the soda the guy handed to me. I guess I pulled it back too quick, and managed to snag the lid at the top of the door frame, causing some of it to spill on both the inside and outside of the door.

I wasn't blaming anyone for it. It was my own fault. The cup was completely out of the guy's hands and into my own when I did that. I was hoping he at least saw, and offered me some napkins, but he went beyond that. He started apologizing left and right, started wiping the outside of the door down, and handed me a gift card (no idea how much is on it, I'll have to check next time), and then handed me some napkins so I could get the inside, since he couldn't reach it from the window.

I tried to turn the card down, pointing out that it was my own fault. He just said, "That's OK, take it", in an almost fearful tone. Granted, I was annoyed, and people say I look scary when I'm angry or annoyed in the least, but it was myself I was annoyed with, not him.

I don't think I deserved anything for my own stupidity. All I wanted was some napkins. Have customers really gotten that much worse? Am I like the one person out of ten that didn't blame someone else? Would the nine other people have yelled at the poor guy?

Yet another reminder of why I'm glad I left the retail world over 17 years ago.
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

I bounced a check once (the first and last time, ever) and Palmetto Credit Union, a very nice outfit, apologized profusedly to me and gave me FREE overdraft protection so it wouldn't happen again.

It was ENTIRELY my fault, a fact I repeatedly said to them. I was embarassed. This was in no kind of way thier fault. I wasn't angry, just eager to sort out the mess. I think they went above and beyond being nice to me and giving me good service.

And now, here I am, giving them a good review on the internet.

Comment

Like Charlie Manson, they are what we've made them...

I sympathize.
      I'm a clumsy gimp.
      Yes, I do believe that there are many people these days that would instantly jump on the poor employee even though it was clearly not his fault.

These are the days of no personal responsibility, lightning-quick litigation, and runaway self-importance.

So, of course, it's all your fault that I want one of those Jalapeno Cheddar Melts now.
      I'll sue!
      Because...I'm SPECIAL.
      ~~*

"No! You can take the kids, but you leave me my monkey." - WALK HARD: THE DEWEY COX STORY

Comment

If you feel bad about the gift card, maybe you could give it to someone who needs it more than you do.

Comment

Working...
        X