This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Shroo View Post
    Wow, that's actually...stupid as all hell, but in a sick twisted way still really impressive.
    Hence why I say it takes skills. Much skills. Skill I don't happen to have unless I'm trying really hard
    I have CDO. It's kinda like OCD, but the letters are where they should be!

After Tuesday, even the calendar goes W T F...

Comment

I don't think you can do this anymore, but my father told me a story once of how my grandfather (may he rest in peace until we get there!) once prevented a woman from ever getting her license again.

She was driving without insurance (don't flinch too hard, it's not mandatory in Wisconsin yet) and she hit grandfather's car. And supposedly back then it was legal to....I can't really say it any other way than preventing her from getting her license again. Something about how since she didn't have insurance and she obviously couldn't pay for the damages she caused, there used to be some legal way of preventing that person from having a license again (or maybe it was just for a certain amount of time?)

Anyway, according to the story, every year until that woman died, one of her children or grandchildren would call grandfather and ask him if he'd kindly just let her have her license back, and he said no. Every time.

I really highly, highly doubt you can still do that.
      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Blas, it probably has to do with the debt incurred from the accident not being paid off.

Driving is a privilege. More people need to remember that it's a privilege, not a right, and if you abuse it (or other completely unrelated things, even), that privilege can be taken away.

The boyfriend's mother is in family law, and she was sitting as a referree (if they don't give them enough days, they don't have to pay them, but they do the same work as judges) for juvie court, and she actually took away some teens driver's license as part of her probation because the girl was too stupid to take the out that was so generously offered to her. Boy did she raise a stink when she realized that she'd blown her chance to walk out with a minor probation as opposed to losing her license for an even longer period.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Teens can have theirs revoked so fast it's not even funny because they haven't had it very long. In Maine, if I remember correctly, when you first get your license if you have an accident or moving violation of some kind within the first two years, you run the risk of losing your license for a few months to a year.

Over eighteen... They have to really dub it up to get it taken. I'm a good little Bubbles and have only ever had one ticket (dingbat in my back seat wasn't wearing a seat belt and I hadn't noticed) and two accidents that were proven to not be my fault in the three years I've had mine
          I have CDO. It's kinda like OCD, but the letters are where they should be!

After Tuesday, even the calendar goes W T F...

Comment

Quoth blas View Post

Anyway, according to the story, every year until that woman died, one of her children or grandchildren would call grandfather and ask him if he'd kindly just let her have her license back, and he said no. Every time.

I really highly, highly doubt you can still do that.
            I don't know about citizens, but the insurance company for the car that was hit can request the license/registration privileges be taken away until the debt is paid by the uninsured motorist. That exists in about 1/2 the states in the US. And why yes, I have requested that letter be sent out thousands of times. Once on a nun who was a real witch and wouldn't provide the insurance info for the church van she was driving!

Comment

I've been a witness to the old 'c-store drive-in.' Typical "Thought I'd shifted to reverse" or "Confused the brake and gas pedals" sort of thing. It's pretty awesome when no one gets hurt. Huge noise, glass flying, car in aisle one....

When you think about it, things like that and MB's post aren't that surprising. HUNDREDS of cars in and out of generally small and busy parking lots driven by people in a hurry = accidents waiting to happen.

Comment

I creamed two cars in a parking lot once... In my miniscule defense, the first one I hit was sticking well out of its spot into the lane of travel (had just been parked that way; nobody was in it). But it was my fault since I was staring out one of the side windows at the time

'course, *I* called the cops and had a passerby go into the building to find the owners of the cars... That was one of those, "Oh god, I fucked up" moments for sure.
                "Joi's CEO is about as sneaky and subtle as a two year old on crack driving an air craft carrier down Broadway." - Broomjockey

Comment

Working...
                X